shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for help choosing between two oval diamonds!

Which would you rather choose for an oval cut stone?

• 4.18 D, SI1, no fluorescence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.02 F, VVS1, medium fluorescence

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Neither - keep looking (please share reasons in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nyc88

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Long time lurker first time poster here. Wanted to first extend a thank you to all the experts in this community who have helped me better understand diamonds over the past few months.

I am posting here because I am getting close to picking out a stone for my SO, but having some trouble deciding between two different options. Would love to get some opinions from this group.
  • Option 1: 4.23 D, SI1 eye clean, no fluorescence
  • Option 2: 4.05 F, VVS1, medium fluorescence
In terms of other cut dimensions, the two stones are quite similar and fall in what would be considered the "ideal" range (i.e., similar table / depth, L/W ratio), and neither have an appearance of an obvious bowtie. Option 1 looks slightly larger (it is about 0.2 carats bigger) but not too noticeable on the hand. In terms of how the stones reflect light, my view is that they are similar.

Essentially the decision comes down to what we should optimize for - higher color/no fluorescence but lower clarity vs. slightly lower color/medium fluorescence but meaningfully better clarity. FWIW, the SI1 is eye clean, and only under the loop am I able to notice some small inclusions. Price-wise, Option 1 is about ~5k more expensive, but price is not swaying us in any particular direction.

In terms of what we care about (in order): 1) Visual optics of the stone (i.e., how it performs under different light conditions, how clean/white it looks); 2) Investment value (i.e., in the event that we do upgrade the stone at a later point in time, is there one that would enable us to recoup more of our original cost)

Picking neither stone is also an option (please share in comments why that is), and we can certainly continue looking, but these two seemed like good contenders and wanted to get this group's perspective.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Last edited:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without more info, imho, without any expertise, if it is eye clean, and cut and price not a factor, go for the D color stone. Future investment purposes is a nonstarter.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the stones performance. How does it look to you? Which is more visually pleasing. Also, never expect a diamond to be an investment. Unless it’s an ACA you won’t get the full price paid towards an upgrade.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @Morenita21

How well the stone performs and how beautiful the faceting pattern is would be my main criteria. If a stone is eye-clean that is good
enough for me. Both those stones are high color so that doesnt really help.

This doesnt really matter as much but the D/SI1 (high color/lower clarity) would not be considered as balanced as the
F/VVS1 (high color/high clarity). All things being equal (performance and beauty), I would go for the F/VVS1 but we know all things
are not equal.

We really need pictures and up close videos to help you any further.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds arent a good investment, so definitely dont decide based on that. Pics and videos would help, but it comes down to the performance of the stone.

Ditto @Morenita21

How well the stone performs and how beautiful the faceting pattern is would be my main criteria. If a stone is eye-clean that is good
enough for me. Both those stones are high color so that doesnt really help.

This doesnt really matter as much but the D/SI1 (high color/lower clarity) would not be considered as balanced as the
F/VVS1 (high color/high clarity). All things being equal (performance and beauty), I would go for the F/VVS1 but we know all things
are not equal.

We really need pictures and up close videos to help you any further.

If I really had to choose between these two based on the info provided, I'd choose the F/VVS1 too. It hits the 4ct mark, is in the colorless range, and is almost flawless.

nyc88

Rough_Rock
If I really had to choose between these two based on the info provided, I'd choose the F/VVS1 too. It hits the 4ct mark, is in the colorless range, and is almost flawless.

Thanks for all your responses. Is the Medium fluorescence at all a concern? We were told to steer clear of fluorescence in the higher color ranges, so not sure if this should be a dealbreaker in an F colored diamond.

Based on everyone's responses, feels like Medium is acceptable? Can you really tell in the sunlight?

Thanks for all your responses. Is the Medium fluorescence at all a concern? We were told to steer clear of fluorescence in the higher color ranges, so not sure if this should be a dealbreaker in an F colored diamond.

Based on everyone's responses, feels like Medium is acceptable? Can you really tell in the sunlight?

The E/VS2 in my e-ring has medium fluor. I attached some old pics below so you can check out how it looks in the daylight.

20210203_115138.jpg

Attachments

• 20210203_115111.jpg
    20210203_115111.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20140315_131023.jpg
    20140315_131023.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 11

nyc88

Rough_Rock
The E/VS2 in my e-ring has medium fluor. I attached some old pics below so you can check out how it looks in the daylight.

20210203_115138.jpg

This is really helpful - thank you! So definitely not too noticeable, but if you look carefully there are definitely some tinges or flashes of blue. Would you say this is something you or others around you can notice at all?

This is really helpful - thank you! So definitely not too noticeable, but if you look carefully there are definitely some tinges or flashes of blue. Would you say this is something you or others around you can notice at all?

Honestly I only notice the fluor when I'm out in full sun. Which now that I've moved to the PNW, doesn't happen very often lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results