shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for gem suggestions for my project please

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all, I have a pretty, but totally unfashionable, diamond set manual wind vintage watch with a diamond band. So, I thought why not up cycle!
My plan is to remove the watch movement and watch crystal and then have a jeweller insert prongs so I can set a nice gem in it.
The "hole" is exactly 12mm x 9mm so I thought something that size to go in.
Looking to spend up to $500 or so for the gem. It's in white gold and I'm thinking something a bit more interesting than say amethyst or citrine or peridot.
Any suggestions, anyone spotted a gorgeous little gem somewhere that would like a nice home?
img_1164_2.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How about a nice opal? :naughty:

That answer may be a little biased as I am in an opal daze right now :lol:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Aquaphrase, tourmaline?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe an aquamarine cab or tourmaline cab? Gary and Barry had some cushion /rectangular cabs recently but not sure of the size.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would have to be a cabochon to something flat to fit in there, so a faceted stone would not be possible.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Agree with the cab suggestion.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Many of those old watches had very deep backs, allowing plenty of room for the pavilion of a cut stone. If you were having a stone cut to fit in that space you could specify that it have a minimally deep pavilion, (keel type cut perhaps), and a crown with a minimal table, (or even no table in the case of a checkerboard cut). Lots of ways to put an acceptable faceted stone into that setting and keeping the back in place is a neat way to keep the piece smooth against your skin.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Turquoise. Kunzite. Tanzanite. Garnet.

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
Cabs would work well, Tourmaline, Gem Silica, Chrysoprase (It's an Aussie, so perfect for you).
The watch case should allow enough depth to put a faceted stone in, I've done this before with similar watches.
As an alternative maybe consider a rubbed in box instead of claws. It will allow you to create a little more height to fit a stone, reduce the size of the stone required slightly, and protect it better as a bracelet tends to get knocked.
I know these are soft, but consider an Apatite. If it's more a dress piece than an everyday piece it should be fine.
http://www.ajsgem.com/gemstones/apatite/apatite-4.16-carats.html

S

SparkliesLuver

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DDOC|1478395971|4094321 said:
Cabs would work well, Tourmaline, Gem Silica, Chrysoprase (It's an Aussie, so perfect for you).
The watch case should allow enough depth to put a faceted stone in, I've done this before with similar watches.
As an alternative maybe consider a rubbed in box instead of claws. It will allow you to create a little more height to fit a stone, reduce the size of the stone required slightly, and protect it better as a bracelet tends to get knocked.
I know these are soft, but consider an Apatite. If it's more a dress piece than an everyday piece it should be fine.
http://www.ajsgem.com/gemstones/apatite/apatite-4.16-carats.html

Hey there DDOC: you may want to check with the Mods or read the PS policies again, but as a Trade Member, I don't believe you are allowed to link or recommend stones being sold by vendors, or comment on stones being sold by other vendors. I wish we had a PM function so that I could tell you this privately...

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
Ok.
Only trying to be helpful.
I will try not ot comment at all.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DDOC|1478539355|4094828 said:
Ok.
Only trying to be helpful.
I will try not ot comment at all.

Oh no!!!! That was not my point at all; I was trying to help you out so that you wouldn't get sanctioned by the Mods or get some of the other Trade vendors annoyed. I'm sorry if my comments offended you.

You have been a great addition here with significant insight, knowledge and suggestions. Please don't stop! I don't know all the rules for those in the trade, but do know that the rules are meant to keep sellers from posting photos of their stones/jewelry for sale. I think, however, that you can post photos of work or stones you've sold if its relevant to the thread discussion. If you're not sure, you can always reach out to the Mods. Ella is awesome and wants to help.

There are other policies that may pertain to you as well, which is why I suggested you read the policies. :)) But please don't throw the wonderful baby out with the bath water; stay and post!

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
Not offended MinousBijoux.
I only nominated as trade because as a jeweler thats how I think of myself.
I am not a vendor though. I don't sell stones, I don't sell online,or by phone, and I generally don't deal with the public.
I specialize in handmade commissioned work for other jewellers and have no interest in more work.
I like coloured stones and collect them. I joined out of interest only. I make comments because I thought the over 50 years of collective experience as gemcutters, multi award winning jewellers, and setters that my wife and I have may be of assistance to the group from a professional point of view.
I have been told by the admins that I am not allowed to post any pictures, or allude to the idea that I make.
I understand now that I can't post links either.
Not much point saying something if I can't convey meaning or description.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DDOC|1478664220|4095618 said:
Please stay and post. Your knowledge is very helpful in terms of helping with general stone selection (the types, the whys and the hows), including design comments.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DDOC|1478664220|4095618 said:
Not offended MinousBijoux.
I only nominated as trade because as a jeweler thats how I think of myself.
I am not a vendor though. I don't sell stones, I don't sell online,or by phone, and I generally don't deal with the public.
I specialize in handmade commissioned work for other jewellers and have no interest in more work.
I like coloured stones and collect them. I joined out of interest only. I make comments because I thought the over 50 years of collective experience as gemcutters, multi award winning jewellers, and setters that my wife and I have may be of assistance to the group from a professional point of view.
I have been told by the admins that I am not allowed to post any pictures, or allude to the idea that I make.
I understand now that I can't post links either.

Wow that is unfortunate, as I would have loved to have seen your collection -- to catch a glimpse of 50 years worth of developing and refining different ideas would be amazing.

I hope you stay arround. I like reading your posts.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your fabulous suggestions. I mentioned to a girlfriend my idea and she had a better suggestion. Her daughter is getting married and is a huge fan of the 1950 / 1960 era so I sold it to my girlfriend (for a cheap price of course) and she will give it to her daughter as a wedding gift. How lovely is that! I'm so very pleased that the watch will continue on being loved and cherished. I was only looking to recycle it as I bought myself an exquisite 1930s style diamond watch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results