shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for experienced opinion/advice

Jeep22

Rough_Rock
Hello, thanks for letting me in. I'm a complete noob, I found this forum with a quick Google search. I need some wise observations and opinions re some jewelry I've recently inherited from an old friend.

The first is what I believe to be vintage Southwestern/Mexican/Native American Alpaca silver and ......? It's a large cabochon, light green, milky white and translucent. I have no idea in the world what it is for sure, but I'm guessing Jadeite or Nephrite? It doesn't present well here, but the stone is very translucent. The cabochon is roughly 8mm long and 4mm wide.

I also have what I believe is a vintage sterling silver baroque natural pearl ring - possible a river pearl? I hope it's ok to post it here. This ring is very heavy. I can't remember just how much it weighs but 28 grams seems to ring a bell. I'll go grab my scale to weigh it again. The silver is very solid, marked 925, and the pearl has the obvious ridges and luminosity that you expect to see on a real pearl. It has an iridescence to it that's just lovely.

If I've posted this in the wrong area I apologize.

IMG_7587.JPG IMG_7595.JPG

IMG_7585.JPG IMG_7606.JPG

IMG_7586.JPG IMG_7125.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first ring with the blue/green stone is not Native American or Mexican. It might be called Southwestern Style. The stone appears to be glass, which is indicative of the transparent swirls.
Is it marked sterling? If no marks, then probably not. It is a locket, and these types of pendants were popular in the 60s and 70s, so that's my guess on age.

The second ring is a freshwater pearl in sterling. Your thoughts on this one are accurate. It's really pretty!

Jeep22

Rough_Rock
The first ring with the blue/green stone is not Native American or Mexican. It might be called Southwestern Style. The stone appears to be glass, which is indicative of the transparent swirls.
Is it marked sterling? If no marks, then probably not. It is a locket, and these types of pendants were popular in the 60s and 70s, so that's my guess on age.

The second ring is a freshwater pearl in sterling. Your thoughts on this one are accurate. It's really pretty!

Hello, and thank you for your reply. The silver is not marked as sterling or anything else for that matter. I'm kind of disappointed that the stone is not a real gemstone! Dagnabbit, lol! Do you have any idea what I could get for the ring, or the necklace for that matter. I'm wanting to sell them, but I have no idea how to appraise them. No idea really where to even start! I've been looking online and so far I've found a bunch of ladies on a pearl forum who are exciedly discussing what kind of pearl ring I have, lol!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pearl ring is probably worth about $40-60.
It is a freshwater cultured pearl.
These kinds of rings with the beaded detail are made in Indonesia, India and Thailand. Pieces like this were common in the 1990s. The locket is probably only worth a few dollars. You may not get much for the ring if you try to sell it. You should wear it and enjoy it!

Last edited:

Jeep22

Rough_Rock
I do wear the locket sometimes. However, the ring is just not my style. It's a statement piece, I'm just not sure what it's stating, lol! It's nice, it just won't fit on anything mut my pinkie - it's a very small size.
The pearl ring is probably worth about $40-60.
It is a freshwater cultured pearl.
These kinds of rings with the beaded detail are made in Indonesia, India and Thailand. Pieces like this were common in the 1990s. The locket is probably only worth a few dollars. You may not get much for the ring if you try to sell it. You should wear it and enjoy it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results