shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for emerald necklace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wacamaster

Rough_Rock
I learned about diamonds for my e-ring. Now it''s her birthday and I know nothing about Emeralds. I want to get a multi-stone necklace with very pretty green emeralds. The ones I saw in the store weren''t so green/pretty. I''d like to keep it under $1,000 but if something over that is just so amazing, I could manage it. Anybody have any suggestions? Not looking for any heart shapes either.

Thank you, Jared

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm. Pretty green emeralds for below $1000 are synthetics... or glass... or tiny. Sorry. Nice emerald in 1ct+ stones goes for thousands per carat. If you want green and cheerful for a necklace, pick tourmaline or chrome diopside (in the dark green) or peridot (olive green).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2009 5:18:47 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
Hmmm. Pretty green emeralds for below $1000 are synthetics... or glass... or tiny. Sorry. Nice emerald in 1ct+ stones goes for thousands per carat. If you want green and cheerful for a necklace, pick tourmaline or chrome diopside (in the dark green) or peridot (olive green).
. . . and don''t forget heavily treated (resin filled with colored filler).

wacamaster

Rough_Rock
This is kind of what I''m looking for. (http://www.bluenile.com/emerald-diamond-necklace_8291?stone_filter=emerald) I hate buying out of a store now that I know you get better quality/price from the major online companies. I didn''t see any from WF (where I bought my e-ring from) but am under the impression Blue Nile is supposed to be pretty good too. Does this look like a decent quality necklace for the price?

I know the mark-up on diamonds is very little when buying through pricescope, but howabout pre-made stuff like this?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2009 7:29:52 PM
Author: wacamaster
This is kind of what I''m looking for. (http://www.bluenile.com/emerald-diamond-necklace_8291?stone_filter=emerald ) I hate buying out of a store now that I know you get better quality/price from the major online companies. I didn''t see any from WF (where I bought my e-ring from) but am under the impression Blue Nile is supposed to be pretty good too. Does this look like a decent quality necklace for the price?

I know the mark-up on diamonds is very little when buying through pricescope, but howabout pre-made stuff like this?
The link is clickable now.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To get a nice green emerald is going to cost a lot of money, unless it has been heavily treated and is pretty small if your budget is under $1000. Looking at the BN link, those emeralds and diamonds are very tiny, almost melee sized because the total length of the stones combined are just over 1 inch long. The problem with pre-made is that there's no way to tell the actual quality - the pictures are all stock pictures.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2009 7:29:52 PM
Author: wacamaster
This is kind of what I''m looking for. (http://www.bluenile.com/emerald-diamond-necklace_8291?stone_filter=emerald) I hate buying out of a store now that I know you get better quality/price from the major online companies. I didn''t see any from WF (where I bought my e-ring from) but am under the impression Blue Nile is supposed to be pretty good too. Does this look like a decent quality necklace for the price?

They''re probably resin filled. Check out the gemstones treatment page of any reputable online vendor. It should state it there. I am a stickler for emeralds that are only filled with cedarwood oil, or nothing at all. In any case, 99.99999% of all emeralds on the market are treated in some fashion, and when spending any sizable amount of $$ on one, you should get a lab cert indicating what kind of treatment. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results