shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Direction in Buying a Diamond - Help from the Experts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DarkOne

Rough_Rock

Hi Folks. I just found this site, but I’ve been doing some research the last few days. I am a novice when it comes to gems. I’ve done lots of forum searches, and I think I am asking a question which is the opposite of the standard. Usually, people have full specs and want to know what a diamond is worth. I have a worth and want some diamond direction. Hopefully, I’m not asking too many questions here, but this seems like a *really& knowledgeable forum, and I think you guys could help me out. When I buy a car, I know everything I can about that model before seeing the salesman. I am having a lot of trouble using that approach for this purchase.

The situation:

I am getting my wife a new engagement ring for our 10th. I don’t have a lot of cash, and would like to be in the $2500 range. I live in Philadelphia, and plan to buy at a Jeweler’s Row store. I prefer local, since I expect to have to bring it back for sizing, so I do not plan to go the internet merchant route.

The Specs, as far as I can tell

Neither of us are gemologists, so I am looking for something that looks good to the naked eye only. SI1 (or maybe even a good cut SI2) is fine for clarity, as is H or even J color. I would like it to be a decent, noticeable size, perhaps .75 or 1 carat, if possible.

I plan to go standard cut (EDIT: brilliant round), and have no idea of preference for the detailed factors, such as depth. I want something that looks pretty nice, isn’t really small, and won’t kill my wallet.

I’ve been to some jewelers already. My problem is that I have no idea of the relative worth of a diamond. If I tell a jeweler that I plan to spend $2500, I can be pretty sure that ring will come out to $2478 plus tax. I don’t mind haggling, but being information obsessive, I need to haggle from an informed perspective, rather than just saying “I want to pay less”

The questions:

1) Am I even in the right ballpark for what I’m looking for? Is it possible?

2) Beyond how the diamond looks to me, is there anything special I should be looking for spec-wise?

3) Are the specs I’ve list (SI1, H or J) good enough for a diamond to look good to the naked eye?

4) Can anyone tell me what other specs I should expect to see for a diamond in this general price range?

5) Are there are recommendations for places to visit on Jeweler’s Row, or anything to avoid saying when I am browsing?

Again, I understand the complexities in judging a diamond, and I’m not asking for anyone to provide me with an exact spec sheet for my perfect diamond. I would really love any direction you guys could give me in better approaching this purchase.

Thank you,

Steve

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Run the pricescope search. You know enough of your variables to figure out approximate cost.

What''s a standard cut? To me, standard is teh most common. That would be the round brilliant cut. Princess is teh square one. That''s nice for you b/c they cost less than RB diamonds.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you said you wanted to go with the standard(?) cut. the "standard" cut is usually round. princess is square. which are you wanting?

DarkOne

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. I meant the round cut. I edited my post to avoid further confusion (appreciate you taking the time, though)

Steve

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would suggest using to diamond "finder" tool at the top of the page to get an idea of what prices are like for what you are looking for. you can also go to the knowledge section and read about round cut diamonds. i think that h-j si2 is a very reasonable goal. you want to make sure that with an si2, you can''t see any inclusions. be sure to look at the diamonds in *normal* lighting. everything is going to look good in the bright jewelery store lighting. there is lots of information on how to choose a well cut diamond in the knowledge section above. most important though, is to pick something that you (or more importantly, your wife) think looks good! look at lots of diamonds (outside!) and decide what looks best, and you will be happy. ****be sure to read the section on "spread"(also in knowledge section) to make sure you get the best size for your cut.

hope you find a beauty!!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2005 2:21:15 PM
Author:DarkOne
1)[/b] Am I even in the right ballpark for what I’m looking for? Is it possible?
Hi Dark One (fade in scary music)
emnote.gif
emsmile.gif

A PS search for .75 - 1.00 ct Round Brilliant SI1-SI2 G-H diamonds with a $2500 budget will give you many options, so yes you're in the ballpark and swinging a nice bat.

2) Beyond how the diamond looks to me, is there anything special I should be looking for spec-wise?
As Belle suggested, I encourage you to look at the tutorial. Learn about the grading reports (sometimes called certification) and how the different labs vary. Most importantly, learn about the particulars of CUT. This element, beyond any other, will influence beauty.

3) Are the specs I’ve list (SI1, H or J) good enough for a diamond to look good to the naked eye?
See the answer to #2... Some SI1 stones (and SI2, depending on the lab doing the grading and the inclusions) are completely eye-clean. Others are not. As for color, some people are more sensitive to color differences than others. A well-cut stone can actually face-up more colorless than the grade it received at the lab due to increased light return. Learning about the paper is helpful - you can compare that knowledge to what your eyes tell you.

4) Can anyone tell me what other specs I should expect to see for a diamond in this general price range?
Ideal cut. Make sure you learn about what constitutes Ideal proportions (American Ideal or AGS Ideal are the most commonly accepted definitions).

5) Are there are recommendations for places to visit on Jeweler’s Row, or anything to avoid saying when I am browsing?

Some consumers purchase an Ideal-Scope to check light return on stones they are seeing "live." If you're not familiar with it, read up on this site and search PS threads for consumer talk on this inexpensive device which provides what many believe is a very important piece of the puzzle.

That being said, your eyes will be your best guide. I'm one of those people who just must know all of the factual info...Then once I have the numbers, pedigree, etc. in front of me I let my eyes make the nitpicky decisions. Belle's advice about viewing candidates in different lighting conditions is very sound, by the way.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2005 2:21:15 PM
Author:DarkOne

I prefer local, since I expect to have to bring it back for sizing, so I do not plan to go the internet merchant route

... rings are not sized often: once to fit if you haven''t guessed size right, then who knows after how many years.
2.gif

I understand that you prefer to talk with someone over the counter instead of over the phone... it feals reassuring for a bit of extra cost. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you know what the extra cost is and there is not allot of tradeoff against the object you will end up buying.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results