carat
color
clarity

Looking for diamond stud advice

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
hi everyone !

my husband wants to get me 3 carat diamond round studs for our anniversary (1.5 each) , what is the lowest color you’d go for this size ? i don’t mind a bit warm but i don’t want yellow ! thank you

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go as low as K for earrings, but everyone's tolerance is different. Here are two super ideal cut pairs from Whiteflash which come with one of the best upgrade policies in the business.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Perception, sensitivity and tolerance to color varies. I don’t consider myself to be super color sensitive, but I is as low as I’d be comfortable with at that size for modern round brilliant studs. To my eye, I color is where I just start to detect a bit of warmth under certain lighting and anything lower in color usually seems more yellow vs. warm To me. I’d go lower in clarity vs. color for studs since they aren’t viewed as close as a ring or pendant.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest "I" . Still a fairly "white" color but will probably show some tint from the side. If you really feel like you don't mind some
tint then you could go down to K but you really need to go out and see some I-J-K colored stones to figure out what
your tolerance is.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you are compromising on color to go up in size?
If yes I would not do that.
It sounds like colorless is not of interest to you in which case I would suggest G… No lower than H in my opinion.

Yik

Rough_Rock
I’m also looking for studs(smaller in size) for my wife and can’t decide on the color. Maybe we can have more opinions (though it’s a personal preference) from the experts. I’m finding it very tough And would love some help/input.
For reference, these range from H to J. I can’t make out the difference except for one :)

The pair in the phone pic looked pretty amazing in person and on ear of the sales person, so ordinary in the pic! J color. EEDFDBE1-29FD-4677-9820-4AC2FEF29AFC.jpeg
7A481E2C-C993-4E47-AB54-2056E6FAF67A.jpeg 56C9D84C-1DCE-4731-BD13-32DC205C4838.jpeg 68E43B11-A0D4-43BA-B438-F693B38CA9FB.jpeg

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
I would say I is the lowest I would go. My DIL’s 2 ct ering is I and I don’t think it shows much tint but my K ering does ( though less in new platinum setting than the original yellow gold setting ).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Yik IMO, the smaller you go the lower in color you can go without it showing as much tint. Bigger stones show a bigger
area of tint so it's easier to see/distinguish. This is just my opinion, YMMV. Plus the smaller they are, and being on the ears,
the less likely anyone will see them from the side like you might an engagement ring. For all those looking though, I really
hope you can get out and see some well-cut GIA/AGS stones of different color grades so you can see the tints for yourself.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
thank you so much everyone for your questions and input... do you think GIA certified is necessary for studs?

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
thank you so much everyone for your questions and input... do you think GIA certified is necessary for studs?

For that size, they absolutely need to be graded. AGS or GIA are ideal of course, but IGI would be fine as long as you can get ASET images as well.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
For that size, they absolutely need to be graded. AGS or GIA are ideal of course, but IGI would be fine as long as you can get ASET images as well.

Thank you so much!! Just so I understand - in your opinion what is the reasoning? Many thanks!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much!! Just so I understand - in your opinion what is the reasoning? Many thanks!

In my opinion, the reasons include:

- 1.5ct diamonds are not cheap, period. Spending that kind of money, you really want to make sure you are receiving what you are paying for. "In house" certifications are basically worthless due to conflict of interest, which is why a 3rd party lab is necessary.

- If, in the future, you decide you want to upgrade or sell the earrings, it will be much easier to do if they are certified.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My studs are 3.04 VVS2 G color..GIA graded..I did a comparison next to my 2.78 VS2 I color ACA that I purchased before my upgrade. This is the video I posted in the thread. I said my studs are VS2 but they are VVS2..It’s hard to tell the difference in color face up..but when looking at the I color ACA the color is definitely noticeable when it’s tilted or just from viewing it from the side. The video is in post #93..I hope this helps..
Post in thread 'Introducing “Summer” my 2.78 vs2 I color ACA'
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-“summer”-my-2-78-vs2-i-color-aca.254558/post-4683336

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion, the reasons include:

- 1.5ct diamonds are not cheap, period. Spending that kind of money, you really want to make sure you are receiving what you are paying for. "In house" certifications are basically worthless due to conflict of interest, which is why a 3rd party lab is necessary.

- If, in the future, you decide you want to upgrade or sell the earrings, it will be much easier to do if they are certified.

I completely agree! I would even go as far as saying only GIA or AGS (for natural diamonds).

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely you should get stones with reports and I would only get those with GIA or AGS lab reports. (FYI there will no longer be AGS reports as of the end of this year and it has not yet been announced how stones who only have AGS reports will be incorporated into the new development of AGSL closing and becoming a part of GIA - I would imagine there will be a plan announced in the coming months so people shouldn’t freak out if they have AGS reports.)
Stones that do not have a GIA or AGS report do not have them for a reason: Because the stones won’t get a good grading. Some jewelers will try to tell you otherwise but do not fall for it. A diamond with an AGS or GIA report is more valued and its color and clarity accurate and if you should ever want to sell or trade the stone(s) in the future it is in your benefit to have the reports.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought I color for my daughter and her skin is on the darker side.
I had Leslie at BGD put pairs together for me.
Good luck.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all of your advice . We ended up with 3 ct total weight GIA stones. IDJ sourced them for me and is now setting them.. can't wait to show!

Exciting! What color and clarity did you go with for these?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!! Yes would love to know the stats.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bumpity Bump! I hope you love them.. We would love to know the stats..They’re gorgeous!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all of your advice . We ended up with 3 ct total weight GIA stones. IDJ sourced them for me and is now setting them.. can't wait to show!

We love us IDJ. Was going to be my suggestions . My studs see my profit are 3 carats and I waited for GIA and I am so glad I did . Yektial is amazing.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Bumpity Bump! I hope you love them.. We would love to know the stats..They’re gorgeous!

Hey @MamaBee , I just watched your side by side color video. Did you end up visiting WF since posting it? Just wanted to let you know I live nearby so if you ever get to this neck of the woods, let me know.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey @MamaBee , I just watched your side by side color video. Did you end up visiting WF since posting it? Just wanted to let you know I live nearby so if you ever get to this neck of the woods, let me know.

That would have been fun @RunningwithScissors! No..I never made it there because of Covid. I used to live in Houston many years ago..I live in Pennsylvania now. I did upgrade...but did it all online! :oops2::lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results