shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for creative ideas for my wedding band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Quick explanation of my wedding set:

We started dating on 2/25/00. On 2/25/01, he gave me a white gold band with seven teeny diamonds that he picked out all by himself. Fast forward to 2008, we fianlly got engaged and he wanted me to use that ring as my wedding band. I loved the sentiment and agreed, so I picked out a white gold cathedral solitaire engagement ring and had it shaped to match the band. We both agree that the frozen spit diamonds need to be changed out for ACA melee, which Vera said we could do. The only problem is, I am extremely nit-picky about jewelry and am not 100% sure the rings look right together. Reason being that the seven little diamonds don''t completely cover the top of the ring.

I''m looking for input as to whether or not they look good together, and if not, what can be done about it. It was my first anniversary (of dating) present and we''re getting married on our ten year anniversary, so I''m pretty sold on using it. I also know he''d be disappointed if I didn''t. I was told by local jewelers that diamonds can''t be added to the sides of it because they wouldn''t be set the same and wouldn''t look nice. I was wondering if a more competent jeweler could do it for the right price, or if even some engraving on the sides would help. Also, the band is only 10k gold. I don''t really care about that though, the color looks exactly the same as my 14k e-ring, and has only been plated once in the eight years I''ve been wearing it. It''s still bright shiny white! I didn''t really want to melt the ring down either, so I can''t think of anything else. Any ideas?

I''ll post a pic of the two rings together for reference. Remember that the stones will be changed out for ACA melee!

224seta.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
And here''s one more (rather ugly) pic of the two of them together.

223seta.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks in advance for any help!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I''d send it to Greenlake Jewelry in Seattle and get it engraved. I think their engraving is the best I''ve seen outside of antique. It is hard to see how the stones are set, but they look like they have a lot of metal over them. Maybe when you get the melee swapped they could minimize that a bit.

If your guy is really set on the sentimentality of using it, I would do it. Especially if he doesn''t mind you tweaking it a bit to make it prettier.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto LGK. Also, would he be adverse to having another wedding band as well? You look like you have very long fingers (I''m so jealous) and another band would be really pretty. Like an eternity or a plain band? Something a bit different.

I love that you''ll be using that band and the sentimentality behind it. It''s so sweet...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would he let you wear it as a RHR? I think that would still be very sentimental! Maybe you can talk him into it.
I also like the suggestion by LittleGreyKitten about getting another wedding band and wearing 2. Maybe put
a shared prong band next to your 1 year anniversary dating ring. That would be pretty. Your ering is outstanding
and it seems like it needs something a little more substantial to go with it.

But, if he wont go for any of that, I think the new diamonds with some pretty engraving will really help liven up
your ring!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 9:17:17 AM
Author: tyty333
Would he let you wear it as a RHR? I think that would still be very sentimental! Maybe you can talk him into it.
I also like the suggestion by LittleGreyKitten about getting another wedding band and wearing 2. Maybe put
a shared prong band next to your 1 year anniversary dating ring. That would be pretty. Your ering is outstanding
and it seems like it needs something a little more substantial to go with it.

But, if he wont go for any of that, I think the new diamonds with some pretty engraving will really help liven up
your ring!

Ditto that! If you dont like that idea, another one would be to have the gold used to make a new wedding band. You''re already switching the diamonds for ones of higher quality, so it''ll be a somewhat new ring already, perhaps you can use the gold, and some new gold, to make a re-vamped but still semential ring? Just a thought! I know a few vendors would do it, so you can ask!

Hope this helps! I think your hubby is super sweet to think like that!
4.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 2:15:43 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I''d send it to Greenlake Jewelry in Seattle and get it engraved. I think their engraving is the best I''ve seen outside of antique. It is hard to see how the stones are set, but they look like they have a lot of metal over them. Maybe when you get the melee swapped they could minimize that a bit.

If your guy is really set on the sentimentality of using it, I would do it. Especially if he doesn''t mind you tweaking it a bit to make it prettier.
I think this is a wonderful idea! And I love that you are using that as your wedding ring...so sentimental!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! The one thing I do love about both rings is that they sit very very low on the sides of my finger so they''re really comfortable. Would I be able to find a shared prong band that would sit as low? One thing I''ve learned I don''t like is when the e-ring sits at one height and then the wedding band is thinker so they don''t line up. Every diamond band I''ve ever tried on has been too thick on the sides.
8.gif
If I could find one that would work I could ask for it as a ten year anniversary/wedding present! An anniversary band as an anniversary wedding present sounds nice to me:)

I was also wondering... My local jeweler said he could only "pave set" any more diamonds onto the band. What if I had one more diamond set into each side and then had the engraving start around the pave set ones? I guess I''d have to ask the specific jeweler. Thanks for the greenlake jewelry recommendation! Do you think that a plain engagement ring would look good next to an engraved wedding band with some diamonds in the middle? I''m having trouble picturing it since I''ve never seen anything like that on.

My last question, in case he is not into me changing the ring so much more, do many people mix and match their wedding sets? I know I''ve seen several different stacked combinations arouind here that are GRORGEOUS!! Is that normal for a wedding set or only for RHRs?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Oh and yes, I hope they can make the prongs a bit nicer! They are quite shabby looking!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results