shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for blue oval sapphire under $1000

kelseagabb

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Hoping you can help me out to find a nice deep/navy blue sapphire, oval, 8x7 or 9x6 under $1000.
Looking to get it set locally.

Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid that at that price point, most stones of that size will have a wonky cut (likely very shallow amd windowed) or have a less-popular color (either lighter blue, violetish, or extremly dark).

The first few etsy stones look like examples of the poor cut/windowed case, and the ajs stone looks extremely dark - it could end up being black except in the brightest light.

How would you feel about something more in the range of 7x5? That would open up some options with better cuts and color.

kelseagabb

Rough_Rock
Loose sapphire vs. Blue Nile readymade

Thanks for your thoughts,

I don't like the look of a 7x5 on my hand. I'm pretty sold on an 8x6.

I don't mind a dark blue so I'm still intrigued by this AJS Sapphire (Size: 8.71 x 6.63 x 3.80 mm, 1.80 carats)

They have sent me some high resolution photos that I will include below...

Alternatively, I am thinking about taking the "simple" road and purchasing this ring through Blue Nile as it (seemingly) ticks all the boxes - and right now I have a 20% off coupon. This is pretty much the exact ring I would have made with the loose sapphire.

I'd love to know your thoughts on this loose sapphire vs. this readymade BlueNile Ring

http://www.bluenile.com/ca/sapphire-micropave-diamond-halo-ring-14k-white-gold_36781?gclid=CNGN2s6j-88CFYFYfgodmagEmg&click_id=370709785

20161027_0.jpg

20161027_105807.jpg

20161027_1.jpg

blue-sapphire-sap-01017.jpg

kelseagabb

Rough_Rock
I like the looks of this stone. Good suggestion. Should I be concerned its a native cut?

Thinking about taking it to the "gem dr" to have it recut to bring in some light? Thoughts?

http://www.thegemdoctor.com/wp/

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dana (@mastercut, the vendor of the stone) could probably give you a good opinion on how good a candidate that stone would be for a recut, if thats on your mind.

kelseagabb

Rough_Rock
Ok - will touch base with Dana.

Would also love to hear if anyone has an opinion about that AJS sapphire - to me it looks like one of the corners is lighter than the rest? I'm not sure what that is called (window?)

Thanks.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think uneven patches of deep (or comparatively light) colour are referred to as colour zoning.

Looking at the photos though, I feel like the ajs stone is either being flooded with fairly bright light -- or alternatively the pics got taken outside in direct sunlight (near the equator). Either way you might find those patches are not that noticeable in everyday situations once it is set (in any case the stone should be a lot darker in the setting, then it appears when being held with tweezers).

I like the mastercut stone better -- in part because if you get it and decide you don't like the colour then it will be easier for you to post it back (assuming you live in the US).

I have been looking around a bit more and spotted the second one on this list (although it is a bit shallow so would want to check its not windowed)

http://www.kashmirblue.com/Coloredstones/sapphirecolored.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you wrote that you want a dark blue sapphire but your choices are so dark as to look black in almost all the photographs. Are you 100% sure you want it that dark? Vendors will photograph their stones in the best light possible, so it will be even darker in person. Once set, it will further darken. I am concerned that after everything is done, you'll end up with a black looking sapphire, not dark blue.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1477660852|4091494 said:
I agree with Chrono. If you want dark blue, pick up to a couple of shades lighter as they generally darken once set.

If you don't mind a bit lighter
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-251-Ruby_and_Sapphire/8458-Natural_Blue_Sapphire_2_53_ct-Gem.php?FromPage=2

thats quite a decent size for very little. It will darken once set but won't be black. Its ovalish, a bit bigger than you were wanting (but hey big is ok :naughty: ) Worth asking about.

Yeah, I like that one. I don't think it would fit in a stock setting though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distracts,
Are you concerned about the depth? I thought 9 x 7 mm is a calibrated size.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1477663253|4091506 said:
Distracts,

It's not really a standard oval shape though, is it? It looks more diamondy/rhombusy, and that will bring the corners where the prongs would go in too far. But maybe it would be fine? idk, I personally couldn't set that in a calibrated setting but then I'm a hobbyist and not a professional.

kelseagabb

Rough_Rock

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelseagabb|1477663649|4091511 said:

imo the last of these is the only one worth looking at. The prior two will look black with flashes of navy in many, many lighting situations, and you probably want navy with flashes or brighter blue.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
:wavey:
Chrono and Arcadia are exactly correct...

Re-cutting a dark gem will yield another dark gem...

Believe me I will do all I can to make a gem look the best it can along with ever other good cutter. But you cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear; so that being said; buying a black sapphire or one so dark that it could be onyx; the cut will not allow light to pass no matter what cutting diagram you follow. I would not want anyone to get the notion that re-cutting will help when a gem is so saturated it looks black. Only an open culet to dump light may help but then you have a window in a dark gem :-o

I know many times the brilliant pavilion design will concentrate color and make a gem darker than say a step cut with larger and fewer facets. I was always told by the old timers that saw more fine gems in a year than most do in 10 lifetimes; when looking at a blue sapphire you will still want to see a blue flash even in candlelight... So that is the rule of thumb I have always used for gems I bought for myself.

As for the trade; well we all have our own stories and that is best left off forums; as we do not want to talk about other's products. Many love a very saturated gem; but as a cutter I have to chime in and say sometimes there is NOTHING you can do for a gem to make it brighter.

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96cge42

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm glad to hear you're looking at some lighter tones!

Here's a couple of other possibilities:
6.8 x 5 oval:
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Aug15BSapphirePage.htm

7 x 5.7 oval unheated
http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-1280

I'd also inquire about the price of this one. Its rather sleepy (which is probably why I like it!), which may or may not be your thing;
6.65 x 5.15 oval:
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueoval1_15ct_3213/

The first and last are my favorites, though if you want sparkly I'd skip the last and look more at the first.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1477663619|4091510 said:
Chrono|1477663253|4091506 said:
Distracts,

It's not really a standard oval shape though, is it? It looks more diamondy/rhombusy, and that will bring the corners where the prongs would go in too far. But maybe it would be fine? idk, I personally couldn't set that in a calibrated setting but then I'm a hobbyist and not a professional.

Possible settings for marquise may not be such a bad idea either...just putting that out there.

But you and I are on the same page that I wouldn't go with a calibrated setting either. Not because of being a hobbyist, but because it wouldn't look right.

IMO I believe that DK could probably make something thats simple but very nice for not too much...probably on par in pricing with a calibrated setting, and being that the stone is well under the 1K mark, if they haven't bought the setting already, they certainly have the room for such a thing in the budget ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if there is a calibrated "fat" marquise setting.

kelseagabb

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your opinions. This forum is such an amazing resource for a newbie like me.

I think I am getting closer to what I am looking for...

I have been in touch with some of your preferred vendors and looking at options now.

I will keep you updated but in the meantime if you come across any other sapphires please send links :)

I'm starting to really appreciate the difference between the cuts now.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One other question - a couple of the mastercut stones linked above are cushions - is that shape something you'd be cool with too?

kelseagabb

Rough_Rock
Yes, I'm fine with a cushion. Just looking for something elongated in shape.

Thanks.

kelseagabb

Rough_Rock
Just to let you all know my sapphire from Mastercut arrived today and it is perfect! The pictures really did not do it justice. I'm so happy I took the leap to look for my own stone. Highly recommend Dana at Mastercut!

fel

Shiny_Rock
Which one did you get? Please show pictures!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results