shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an oval diamond. Help?

grapesforlunch

Rough_Rock
Hi Rocky People,

I am looking for a oval diamond for an engagement ring. The girlfriend mentioned in passing that she’s interested in the following specs

D or E color
Internal flawless
No Florescent

I am looking to spend around 24-31k, but semi flexible. I can’t seem to figure out how I go about finding a oval shape diamond with a lot of sparkle. Round diamond seem easier to determine. Any suggestion? Or diamond recommendation?

Thanks in advance for the help!

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
Generally, round diamonds will be more sparkly than ovals but you can get more fire in a nice oval so they‘re just a bit different. One big thing to watch out for in ovals is a bow tie (big black unsightly bow tie in the middle of the stone).

There’s also such a thing as a hearts and arrows oval. They’re cut deep and they aren’t very long. They mimic the light performance of a high quality round diamond, don’t have bow ties but they face up small (and personally I don’t like the length:width proportion).

Sorry for no specific recommendations but I’m in the U.K. and prices and availability are a bit different.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Internally Flawless is a killer...the more you narrow down specs on an oval the less likely you're going to find one that returns light
well (sparkles). Let your GF know. She needs to be open to VVS1, VVS2, and possibly VS1 and VS2.

Edit...I found one that looks pretty decent!

Last edited:

oval regret

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

i have an oval diamond and other than the carat, color, cut, and clarity I would suggest paying attention to the following:

1. Carat weight versus diamond face up size: for example, just because it is a 2 carat weight oval diamond, the face up might not look like a 2 carat if it is cut too deep. Similar to an iceberg, all the carat weight is at the in the bottom in the t. But also keep in mind that if a diamond is cut too shallow, even if it looks big face up, it might affect the sparkle.

2. Width & Length ratio - the idea width to length ratio is between 1.3-1.5. Anything outside of the parameters would be too round or too long and narrow. 1.3 is the roundest compared to 1.5. Most ppl like 1.45 but this is a personal preference tbh. You also want to check the millimeter measurement of the diamond. It should state on the GIA report.

I suggest using diamond database https://www.diamdb.com/diamond/3ct-oval-11.7x7.8x4.76/ to check on the size and price before making the purchase. For example, you can enter the specs of the diamond (measurement in mm, carat weight, etc.) it will be able to tell you the price and quality. It will also point out the flaws based on exact measurements input.

good luck

grapesforlunch

Rough_Rock
The Internally Flawless is a killer...the more you narrow down specs on an oval the less likely you're going to find one that returns light
well (sparkles). Let your GF know. She needs to be open to VVS1, VVS2, and possibly VS1 and VS2.

Edit...I found one that looks pretty decent!

I actually saw that one but wasn’t sure if it sparkle. I also notice a small dot in the diamond, but not sure if it’s something else?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually saw that one but wasn’t sure if it sparkle. I also notice a small dot in the diamond, but not sure if it’s something else?

What dot?

FreeDiam

Rough_Rock
Just throwing this one out there. I thought it was pretty.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock

I saw the dark “dot” near the periphery in some of the rotation, but the GIA plot is totally clean- I am guessing it is some kind of artifact and not an actual inclusion. I really like this one as an option, but agree with your budget you could look at custom sit options.

If you consider VVS options you have a lot more choices and they will be eye clean https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD14835801?track=FCOM&slot=1&type=3

grapesforlunch

Rough_Rock
I saw the dark “dot” near the periphery in some of the rotation, but the GIA plot is totally clean- I am guessing it is some kind of artifact and not an actual inclusion. I really like this one as an option, but agree with your budget you could look at custom sit options.

If you consider VVS options you have a lot more choices and they will be eye clean https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD14835801?track=FCOM&slot=1&type=3

Oh, okay.

what do you think about this diamond versus the 1.9?

does symmetry matters? 1.9 was very good

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results