shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an Aquamarine

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all

I have been looking for an Aquamarine stone emerald cut to have set into a basic prong Setting.

I would like something in the 5-8ct range.
I am in Australia so often looking at overseas vendors the exchange rate is quite poor.

I have looked through most of the pinned vendors above but have not found anything I love.

I actually really love the seafoam green colour of the untreated stones although I believe these are not popular?

I have attached pics of a stone I found from an Australian vendor with The description below. It is not exactly the colour I like but perhaps I won’t have much luck finding that colour?

If anyone has an idea of vendors that may stock the more sea green stones I would love to hear about them.

I thought about trying gem rock auctions but after doing some reading on here it seems Aquamarines are often being sold when they are actually a topaz or simulated

FDF50C0E-FD96-491C-A8BE-589AA8ABDD62.jpeg 107C4147-2F33-45DB-AE58-0B2C61C223CE.jpeg D7B73021-659C-416D-BA94-8ED759E3D405.jpeg
This gemstone is a natural earth-mined aquamarine.
Origin...Brazil.
It is a very soft natural light blue color.
NOT heated or enhanced.
Out of the ground.100% Guarantee.
This gem has been faceted as an emerald cut shape.
Not man made or artificial in any way.
Gemstone Size... 13.7 mm x 7.8 mm x 6 mm.(approx)
Aquamarine weight... approx 5.35 carat
Luster..excellent.
Clarity....eye clean.
General description...This stone is a lovely natural bright pale gem.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with that Aqua is the window is Huge! This means you’ll be seeing through to your skin colour / ring mount for most of the gem except for the very edges.
Aquas do have that as an issue, a see through window, but I think that gem is way to shallow to give you much aqua colour.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
What is your budget?

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks I will disregard that stone then

I am probably looking up to 700-800USD

would I be better with an asscher or cushion cut?

I love aquamarines but maybe my budget isnt enough I do want it to be a decent size like a cocktail ring

is there any other stones that would have that seafoam colour? Love some of the mint tourmalines I have seen but I think they are

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I got mine from Gary at Finewatergems.com
He can also source you one.

Also check with David at Diamonds by Lauren https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/380803882/diamonds-by-lauren/

And Inken at Enhoerning jewelry https://www.instagram.com/enhoerningjewelry/

Thank you so much that is super helpful

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any of them can source you an aqua at the jewelry shows, etc.

Gary looked for a pale yellow round sapphire for me for about a year before he found one in Sri Lanka.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
7D50D8A0-39F9-4DB8-8AAC-039A13D251E6.jpeg

Here is mine. Brian Gavin made the setting with his H+A stones

Gorgeous

thank you I will reach out to some of these people.

I will also keep my eye on Loupetroop

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this one on eBay. It’s a bit bigger but the cutter was John Ramsay so it’s very nice 3784AFF5-64D9-4251-94C3-DF6A28B257DE.jpeg . It’s a cushion at 18mm x 13mm for 11.85 ct.
$599 US.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is custom cut by Jeff White, and it cost less than 800 USD.

It is pale blue with a hint of green which is what I like in Aquamarines.

Glad to hear the OP has decided to ditch the one in the original post, as my heart sank when I saw the picture due to the massive window!!!

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about unheated natural blue Topaz?

Mine were cut from a cut from a massive piece of rough by Doug Menadue of Bespoke Gems, no green though, the oval circled and one of the bigger Asscher cut stones are mine. Due to their sizes, they were over 800 USD a piece:

The Asscher set in a ring:

There is a seafoam Tourmaline in Jeff White's sold gemstones gallery for Tourmalines, 5.17ct, no clue about the price though:

JW Seafoam Tourmaline 5.17ct.JPG

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JW also has a trillion cut mint green Garnet currently available, 3.84ct, however, it is nearly 3.5k USD!

As for seafoam colour, or colour in general, it is a personal preference IMHO. I believe in getting what I like rather what is popular, in CS or otherwise.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff Davies has a 9.50ct Natural Blue Topaz for less than 300 USD!

Link to his eBay listing: eBay Item No. 323832613865

JD Unheated Blue Topaz.JPG

It has a hint of green, and it looks great in the video (link in the listing).

He has another one which is 28ct+ in his eBay shop, and a mint Tourmaline (the latter is outside the OP's budget, however, just in case the OP can stretch a bit more).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I would add to the great suggestions here are:

1) Buy from a reputable vendor that knows their rough.

2) Beware of synthetic aqua and irradiated material (it fades in color)

3) Seafoam green aqua is popular again, or green beryl (not emerald) if you can find it. I agree that a seafoam green tourmaline is a nice alternative, but can be pricey in the sizes you want. It’s also much more dense than beryl, so will face up much smaller in the same carat weight.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Jeff Davies has a 9.50ct Natural Blue Topaz for less than 300 USD!

Link to his eBay listing: eBay Item No. 323832613865

JD Unheated Blue Topaz.JPG

It has a hint of green, and it looks great in the video (link in the listing).

He has another one which is 28ct+ in his eBay shop, and a mint Tourmaline (the latter is outside the OP's budget, however, just in case the OP can stretch a bit more).

that is a really pretty colour as well.

Is there much difference between the sparkle factor of these type of coloured stones ? If you are looking at Aquamarine zircon tourmaline and topaz and are more concerned with the sea green colour and sparkle factor is it better to go for one over another

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like diamonds, a poorly cut CS will look dull and lack sparkle. The Aqua in the original post is a prime example!

However, some CSs are better at internally refracting lights than others, like Zircon and Topaz which are often used as diamond substitute in halos and side stones. The traps in my Asscher Topaz ring were custom cut by Doug M.

If I were to look for a seafoam coloured gem, I am more likely to settle for an Aqua or a Tourmaline, as they are not common in Topaz or Zircon.

That is why I was kind of excited to find 2 massive natural blue Topaz in JD's shop, however, their colours are very faint on closer inspection.

I could be wrong about refraction etc., and no doubt the CS experts will correct me if I am.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is a really pretty colour as well.

Is there much difference between the sparkle factor of these type of coloured stones ? If you are looking at Aquamarine zircon tourmaline and topaz and are more concerned with the sea green colour and sparkle factor is it better to go for one over another

Aqua, topaz and tourmaline all have a low refractive index, so they don’t have any fire or the brilliance of a well cut zircon. Zircon isn’t really seafoam color, and it’s an extremely dense stone, so again, an aqua will face up much larger than a zircon the same carat weight. Topaz is extremely inexpensive, so it has that going for it, but natural blue topaz is very pale in color. I never see it in seafoam color naturally.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mine is custom cut by Jeff White, and it cost less than 800 USD.

It is pale blue with a hint of green which is what I like in Aquamarines.

byl028.jpg
jwaqua_02.jpg

Glad to hear the OP has decided to ditch the one in the original post, as my heart sank when I saw the picture due to the massive window!!!

Sorry to thread jack but goodness if you ever decide to sell I am dying for this aqua! It is my absolute favorite on PS!:))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to thread jack but goodness if you ever decide to sell I am dying for this aqua! It is my absolute favorite on PS!:))

Thank you!

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I might send him an enquiry today thanks for being so kind and helpful everyone.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw this on Loupe Troop, 12 carats $300 US. I’d snap it up quick. AD556BE4-CA97-4978-B794-48AF1EE3AB84.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're mine! I have two posted and they are gorgeous, but quite a bit bigger than what she's looking for I think.

I think she was looking for cocktail ring size. I think yours would be perfect for a ring. Your gems are lovely.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean *this* is big ha ha 293E05DF-8A25-4446-8C15-1A2A45253904.jpeg

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow that is massive :)

I have sent Jeff and email and I will go and hunt yours down on Loupe Troop although not sure if you would consider sending to Australia a lot of people prefer to ship only inside the US

thanks for the tips on the different stones as well I will stick with an Aqua I think. My heart has always been set on it but then I start reading threads and getting distracted lol

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in UK and JW has sent stones over to me with no issues.

As it is almost be certain the piece will be a commission piece, please read his T&Cs so that you are aware of the processes involved, timeline (he will be particularly busy this time of the year due to Tucson shows) and especially payment terms and re-stock fee, as I have known some PSers have been put off by the deposit and re-stock fee.

When I buy jewellery including CSs from abroad, and have done so for many years as I do not like buying them in UK due to higher cost, I treat the transactions as one way in that I do not plan to return them as it is way too much hassle.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results