shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pajj

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I found this website a couple of days ago. This site has some really helpful information. I am currently in the market for a round diamond. Back in 1991, I purchased a diamond engagement ring from a local jeweler whose store is located on Jewelers Row in Philadelphia (I’m divorced now). I can see from this website that many people purchase their diamonds from internet vendors. This is something that I am going to consider now. I have been reading some of the messages here and also other information which is posted on this site. I am searching for a diamond in the 2 carat range and my budget is approximately $15,000. I do have some questions.

1. I am a person who usually likes to “touch & see” a product that I am buying. Should I have any reservations making a purchase of this magnitude from an internet vendor? Or should I stick with the vendors located on Jewelers Row?

2. The internet prices listed here. Are they firm or can you “bargain” on those prices?

3. If I should make a purchase on-line, should I have the diamond appraised first before I commit? Do the vendors here allow you to get an appraisal first? Do they mail the diamond to the appraiser?

4. How far ahead of time must you schedule an appointment with an appraiser to have a diamond appraised? (David Atlas is located in my area)

5. Is there really much difference, to the eye, between an “Ideal” and a “Very Good/Excellent” cut diamond?

Thank you for all of your help!

John

Gale

Shiny_Rock
1. That touchy feely thing is good. From personal experience in purchasing a diamond on-line, however, none of the vendors that frequent this forum will deliberately send you a bad stone. If you are clear about what you expect when you contact them, they will do theire best to help you meet your expectation.

2. I don't know how much room there is for bargaining, but you can always try. I rather doubt that you will see much of a change in price because the profit margins seem fairly small. PS members can get a discount from some of the vendors here if they mention that they are a member of PS at the time of purchas.

3. Yes - have the diamond appraised first. Many vendors will send the diamond to the appraiser before accepting any form of payment from you. If youd don't want the stone, then the appraiser ships it back to the vendor.

4. I am sure you can call Dave to schedule something. Click on his avatar in some other message for his contact details. He will be the best one to advise you on his availability.

5. Don't know about this one. But what I do know is that I have an ideal cut and it outshines any diamond in my office and all of my aunties rings.

Good luck!

pajj

Rough_Rock
Gale,

Thanks for the info. It is very helpful.

John

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results