shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice on this diamond!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

unc1

Rough_Rock
I am upgrading my wife''s stone and am strongly considering a diamond with the following specs:

Carat weight: 1.55
Cut: Ideal
Proportions: 7.52 x 7.59 x 4.55
Depth %: 60.2%
Table %: 57%
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Thin
Culet: None
Flourescence: None
Cert: GIA

I have requested a Sarin report, which will allow me to examine the cut using this site''s Cut Advisor. Given this information, though, do you think $10.7K is a good price? General thoughts on the value of this stone?

Also, it seems that people have very different opinions of H-color stones. If the stone is ideal cut, should I expect it to appear at all off-color?
confused.gif

Should I be concerned at all about a thin girdle?

Many thanks for your feedback and guidance!
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
It may be a tad overpriced, but it's hard to say without the rest of the info (crown & pavilion angles.)

You'll get a better determination of the girdle from the Sarin report. As for colour, everyone perceives it differently. The jump for me occurs at H - that's when I begin to notice perceiveable traces of colour from the side, and when unmounted, from the pavilion. But in an ideal cut stone, the face up appearance should be quite white.
1.gif

It helps to see some well cut stones in person. You'll then be able to see how colour in a diamond (or lack thereof) affects you personally.

If you're concerned about colour, drop the clarity down to VS2 or SI1 (clarity costs more than colour) and up the colour to an F or a G.

unc1

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your advice. Alternatively, I am considering the following stone:

GIA-certified
Carat weight: 1.54
Proportions: 7.50 x 7.55 x 4.53mm
Depth: 60.2%
Table: 58%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: Very small
Flourescence: None

This stone is priced at just under $11K. The diamonds are similar in price and most other characteristics -- basically, it looks like a color-clarity tradeoff to me. Do you think this stone is a better value than the 1.55ct H VS1 I am also looking at?

Should I be concerned about a very small culet? I have a hunch it will be indistinguishable from a stone with no culet, but I do want to be sure!!

Thanks again for any feedback on the value and quality of this stone!!
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
without the rest of the information it is hard to compare the 2.
The price seems a little high for its size with the information given.
But thats just going on the limited info provided.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very small culet or none...no difference at all..the culet is so tiny you can't even visibly see it without mag anyway.

Thin girdle should not be a concern, once you get the Sarin you will see the mins and max and then learn more...but if the average is thin, I don't think that's an issue. My stone has a thin girdle...big deal.
2.gif
I got it insured anyway.

Both stones are a little pricey but if you are shopping B&M/ offline, that may be the extra markup you are paying. So unless you decide to shop online, you may pay that anyway!
1.gif

Get the Sarins on both stones, then the HCA and people can tell you more. H VS or G VS...both will look stunning if the cuts are very good. I have a G VS and its very white, I would imagine H look pretty much the same. I have seen I's in platinum settings which didn't appear to have visible color to me...but it really depends on your eye. Have you thought about dropping clarity to SI1 to get a slightly larger stone OR go higher on color? Depends on your priorities...but I think you have struck a very nice balance here.

Personally..if both stones cuts are equal, I would spend the extra $300 and get the G VS as opposed to H. Just because....for $300 I think a jump in color grade is definitely worth it. If it was $1k difference? No way. But those are MY priorities, not yours.
2.gif

Good luck
2.gif
Have you seen either stone in person yet?

unc1

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Mara. All of your comments were very helpful.

I find the comments I am receiving on price interesting. I have been shopping online exclusively and can't seem to find ideal cut G/H VS round stones without flourescence for less than $10.5-$11.5K. I have tried such sites as Union Diamond, Abiazas, DirtCheapDiamonds (I get a little frustrated, though, when I can't view most of the certs online). Prices on many of the popular sites (like Mondera) are even higher than those I am quoting. Am I looking in the wrong places? Any advice on the best online sites to search would be most helpful!!

Thank you!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a screenshot of the 'cut quality' screen search on Pricescope...as you will see there are many stones under $11k or so that are similar to your specs. You will note alot of SI1's in the lower 10's but in my opinion if the stone is something like a 'superideal' or H&A then it would make sense to drop to SI1 clarity as long as it's eye clean and then you can get a very excellently cut stone, have all the specs to back it up, and a face-up white eye clean monster stone.
2.gif
Kind of like the best of all worlds in my opinion. There are also some H VS's in there too for right around or slightly over your 11.5 designation.

Actually your stone is NOT overpriced after all (don't know what I was looking at before)...so it may come down to comfortability with online vs offline. All of the vendors on this screenshot are very highly recommended on the forums--so you are in good hands if you decide to shop online. Either way--just be sure cut is the top priority if you want the stone to look its best.

2.gif

unc1screenshot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results