shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice on diamond upgrade

Septemberwedding

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I’m new to this forum. I have a 0.5 ct solitaire engagement ring which my husband purchased as an upgrade to a 0.25 ct ring.
We are now talking about upgrading to 1ct and just wondered if you think it is possible to change the stone to a bigger size? Or would we have to get a completely new ring? I am quite attached to this ring and would prefer to modify it rather than purchase a new one as I don’t want the cost of this one to completely go to waste. Any advice would be much appreciated! 2DFAE4C7-5DBA-4D83-B323-D7764A307591.jpeg 1C811530-0294-46DE-BA00-DA250E9B9013.jpeg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would have to get a new setting to change to a 1 ct. There is a possibility that a jeweler could add on to the prongs enough so that a 1 ct would fit, but it would probably end up looking weird due to the style. Fortunately a setting like that is not very expensive so it’s not a big cost. I would ask several local jewelers if they can do it.

If you think you may upgrade again and don’t want to change settings again, look into a peg head style. They’re not the favorite on here because they are never the most refined, but you can swap the part that holds the stone out for a different one if you change sizes or even shapes.

Septemberwedding

Rough_Rock
You would have to get a new setting to change to a 1 ct. There is a possibility that a jeweler could add on to the prongs enough so that a 1 ct would fit, but it would probably end up looking weird due to the style. Fortunately a setting like that is not very expensive so it’s not a big cost. I would ask several local jewelers if they can do it.

If you think you may upgrade again and don’t want to change settings again, look into a peg head style. They’re not the favorite on here because they are never the most refined, but you can swap the part that holds the stone out for a different one if you change sizes or even shapes.

Thank you so much for your response. I’ve inserted a picture of my other ring(0.25 ct). Does this setting have a peg head? Would they be be able to put a 1ct into that one? Or would it also look strange? D3AD93C5-BC7B-430D-B392-6FD261488D91.jpeg 7CF03BDC-46A8-47F1-A4AE-CEA92E7D7C8A.jpeg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like your first setting alot. The way you have a lower bridge that swoops up for the prongs is a nice design. It works nice with the cathedral style shank.

Although it may be difficult to reuse, the good news is this design is available and fairly common so not overly expensive.

You mentioned the setting had meaning to you, so would it be worth the effort to have one or both your existing settings melted down and build a larger custom ring using the old metal?

The second setting won't work either. Even if you could swap the head, the larger diameter of the 1 carat stone will interfere with the shoulders. Below is a very crude sketch.

20200106_072301.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some alternates if you buy new....

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, let us know if you need any help with finalizing your diamond decision.

Even if upgrading through a local store, you can snap pics of the certs, etc and we can help guide you to ensure you find a stone with the best cut/sparkle.

Septemberwedding

Rough_Rock
Also, let us know if you need any help with finalizing your diamond decision.

Even if upgrading through a local store, you can snap pics of the certs, etc and we can help guide you to ensure you find a stone with the best cut/sparkle.

Thank you so much for your help.
Do you think it would be more realistic to be able to fit perhaps 0.75ct into the first setting? I’m not completely obsessed with it being 1ct it was just a thought as so far the sizes have been doubling with each upgrade.

yes you’re right the settings mean a lot to me and I don’t like being wasteful and having several rings there not being used.

Unfortunately my finger is a size UK N US 6.75 and I’m London based so started to get“ring shrinkage” comparing others rings on my commute . If anyone has any ideas on how to appreciate what you have that would be great too! (Haha):bigsmile:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can sell your settings for scrap metal price - I know that is not terribly sentimental, but at least you will get some money back. If you are keeping both or either diamond, perhaps you would like to put them in a simple pendant to wear, so they won't be sitting around unused.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
please give up the idea of using your existing settings for a new diamong-better to use the setting for a colored stone/birthstone. Unless you would pick an emerald or sapphire, many beautiful colored stones are fairly inexpensive If you don't trade in your diamonds, simply leave them in the settings and have a jeweler add a few colored stones to the existing diamond rings. Now you have two right hand rings. Or have a pendant created to use the metal and the existing stones

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results