shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice on a stone and a setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GoZO

Rough_Rock
Hello all. First I want to thank everyone on this board for all of the great advice I have learned.

I was hoping you could all chime back on what your thoughts are.

I have narrowed it down to 3 diamonds.

My budget for stone and setting is in the 6 - 7 K range.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1177147.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-714361.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-756264.htm

If you see anything else I might of missed please let me know.

As far as the setting goes. I see that they have 4 and 6 prong choices. How do I decide between the 2?

I was thinking:

4-Prong Tiffany Style in Platinum $393.00
6-Prong Tiffany Style in Platinum $393.00
Tiffany knife edge <------ (Is this worth the $855.00)

One last thing. The last ring I got her. Size 4 was a tad loose. Should I go down to a size 3.5 or get the 4 and then wait and get it sized down after the surprise?

Thank you all. I look forward to your thoughts.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I like 2 and 3 the best. Are these all eyeclean? If they are, pick either 2 or 3. All will be lovely, but I love the new line.

As far as settings, yes the Tiffany knife edge is worth the money. All are good settings, but I would spend the extra to get that one if it were me.

Her ring size. The thinner settings will spin a bit more than a thicker setting. You don''t (and I would not recommend) have to go down a half size. Maybe a 3.75 would do the trick. Or a 3.75 full. That''s about 1/8 size under a four. How loose was the 4?

shay

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered getting a larger stone if you go down in color? You would actually going up in clarity which is a plus!

I'm sure this stone would still face up white and would be eye clean. It's in the expert selection section which means it is ideal cut, just not quite perfect hearts and arrows. With a $300-400 this would hit your budget right on the nose. Make sure you ask for the Pricescope discount which will save you a little bit of money.

1.21 Expert Selection

Item Code: AGS-6809309
Price: $6,668.00
Report: AGS
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.210
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 60.4
Table: 56.4
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown %: 15.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin to medium Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.93-6.94X4.18

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
As far as the setting go, if this is just meant to be a temporary setting (meaning your girlfriend will pick out another setting) then go with the less expensive one. If she wants a solitaire, then the knife edge one is worth the money. I had the 4 prong one as a temp setting, and to me, it looked like a temp setting. A lot of people do have this one as their setting so it really is personal preference.

I really like the stone Jelly posted!

GoZO

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 10:07:40 AM
Author: Jelly
Have you considered getting a larger stone if you go down in color? You would actually going up in clarity which is a plus!

I''m sure this stone would still face up white and would be eye clean. It''s in the expert selection section which means it is ideal cut, just not quite perfect hearts and arrows. With a $300-400 this would hit your budget right on the nose. Make sure you ask for the Pricescope discount which will save you a little bit of money.

1.21 Expert Selection

Item Code: AGS-6809309
Price: $6,668.00
Carat: 1.210
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 60.4
Table: 56.4
Crown %: 15.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin to medium Faceted
Measurements: 6.93-6.94X4.18

Thanks for the advice. I am talking to WF now about the diamond above.

In comparison to the one you recomended.

What do you think of this one?

Item Code: AGS-6420602
Price: $6,869.00
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.206
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 60.8
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.6
Crown %: 15.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43.1
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Measurements: 6.91-6.93X4.21

GoZO

Rough_Rock
Hey PS 'ers I have realized that my price range for a stone needs to stay in the 5000 - 5999 range. 1 + crt

Can I get one last peice of advice on this stone? If not maybe a alternative?

Item Code: AGS-6782704
Price: $5,342.00
Carat: 1.108
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 60.6
Table: 57.3
Crown %: 15
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Measurements: 6.69-6.71X4.06

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2167501.htm

Again thank you very much. I have found this site to be sooo helpfull.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like an awesome stone!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Gozo,

The one you found is probably lovely. If you want to consider a higher color, this one is another option, a bit smaller...but I think F SI1 is Garry''s sweet spot, too.

Regards,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems that you are quite confident that your choice will fit her taste... Great then... I don't think you can go wrong with I/VS grades and Ideal cut unless either of you will truly insist wearing this stone next to a D color of similar size
8.gif

If that is a concern, F does it. Otherwise, I suppose the larger the better, as long as the diamond is not terribly, tinted, included or compromised cut-wise. Those 'I's listed above sound great.

I wouldn't spend that much on a setting if temporary ... there should be cheaper than $300 for the purpose. Otherwise, WF as some 'solitaire' with a twist settings under 1k that would do just great - they are conservative enough to make a relatively riskless choice. The 'knife edge' you hinted at is one, and my pic - for what that matters - might be THIS.

gi_WFR-UHrPt_f.jpg

My 2c

Best of luck!
1.gif

GoZO

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 6:39:13 AM
Author: Regular Guy
Gozo,

The one you found is probably lovely. If you want to consider a higher color, this one is another option, a bit smaller...but I think F SI1 is Garry''s sweet spot, too.

Regards,
Ira,

Thanks for the recomendation. I am going to go with the stone you mentioned. The color F and SI1 should be great. Can I reference you as a referral?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
No, but you made me smile.

Actually, two things:

You can''t not only because I''m a nice guy (I am!), but because the board here has rules against it.

Also, I''m still an amateur, the random walk theory says things are priced the way they are for a reason, so make sure you ask the guys at WF who are actually professionals at this which among the ones you''re looking at they would choose, if it were up to them, giving them whatever criteria you''d like them to factor in.

Good luck with this, thanks for the offer, and very best of wishes to you!

GoZO

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 12:27:08 PM
Author: Regular Guy
No, but you made me smile.

Actually, two things:

You can't not only because I'm a nice guy (I am!), but because the board here has rules against it.

Also, I'm still an amateur, the random walk theory says things are priced the way they are for a reason, so make sure you ask the guys at WF who are actually professionals at this which among the ones you're looking at they would choose, if it were up to them, giving them whatever criteria you'd like them to factor in.

Good luck with this, thanks for the offer, and very best of wishes to you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results