shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice about cut

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'll be in the market for a diamond soon, and so far I've got 3 of the 4 C's figured out:

Carat: Definitely under 1, because it's for a daily ring and I work with my hands a lot. Around 0.8 would be perfect.
Color: EFG range, most preferably G. Don't like D because too white, don't like H in platinum.
Clarity: VVS - VS range, preferably VS1. A bit of flaw is good as long as it doesn't hurt structural integrity.

Cut, however, I am still :confused: about. I definitely want a round brilliant, but I don't care about the H&A pattern. I could go with CBI/ACA and be done with it, but would like to know if there are other options for the very best in scintillation and brilliance, if symmetry is not a concern. I want something interesting to look at that sparkles a lot!

However, I am not after fire, so does this mean I should actually be looking for shallower crowns with larger tables?

I also don't care about trade-in policies because I am not going to ever upgrade, it will be a forever piece. I do have a long timeline to search for this perfect diamond, no hurry to get it right! And for this size range, budget is not a concern.

Any advice is much appreciated!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the links! I have heard 60/60 stones give off more white flashes, but will a random JA stone sparkle more than a super ideal cut? Is there such a thing as super ideal 60/60 (like the CBI/ACA)?

Budget doesn't matter, I'll only draw the line at custom cutting something! I just want the most sparkle and character at this size. I don't hate fire but would prioritize white flashes over color.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the links! I have heard 60/60 stones give off more white flashes, but will a random JA stone sparkle more than a super ideal cut? Is there such a thing as super ideal 60/60 (like the CBI/ACA)?

Budget doesn't matter, I'll only draw the line at custom cutting something! I just want the most sparkle and character at this size. I don't hate fire but would prioritize white flashes over color.

Not to my knowledge are there any branded Superideals cut with 60% tables. Farrah is right, we could look for some nice 60 60 stones which could fit the bill if you're sure that going for a branded Superideal isn't the best way forward for you, have you seen any in person though to compare?

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm actually leaning towards going for branded superideal for peace of mind, just wondering while I'm shifting through the options if I should look for bigger tables/etc to maximize scintillation/brilliance. Would love to learn more details about the ratios, percentages in regards to the kind of personality a diamond gives off!

ie, if two diamonds are the exact same weight and all else being equal, would a shallower diamond with larger face-up dimensions definitely give off more white light vs colored sparkle?

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! Do you care about branded stones? If budget is not an issue and you like brands and you like sparkle... then I say Tiffany all the way. I own a Tiffany (ideal, but not super ideal) and a Hearts On Fire (super ideal). I thought I would love the HOF because a super ideal is supposed to be the end-all. I thought Tiffany was just an overpriced marketing label. Wrong. I like my Tiffany diamond far better as it has an unbelievable sparkle. I get a lot of comments on the "sparkly diamond", even at jewelry stores asking me about the stone. Tiffany may not be super ideal, but it is something about the way they cut that make it sparkle. For me, I am all the about the sparkle, less about the fire, and even more less about the contrast. I am upgrading my earrings and am currently debating over super ideals . The one I am leaning toward is CBI for their sparkle and there are lots of positive reviews.

I would suggest for what you listed as your preferences, don't dismiss Tiffany unless you go there first to see. I hope this was helpful. Good luck!

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Curious, would you prefer that your diamond be asymmetrical?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ie, if two diamonds are the exact same weight and all else being equal, would a shallower diamond with larger face-up dimensions definitely give off more white light vs colored sparkle?

No. A 60/60 stones has a depth and table close to 60%. It still needs a well paired crown and pavilion angle to perform well and provide a brilliant light return (white light). Most branded super-ideals are cut to balance brilliance and fire...but within very tight cutting parameters. So, with super-ideals, you won't get more brilliance with wider tables or shallow cuts.

If you really like brilliance, have you seen old European cuts in person? High color and clarity are a bit more rare to find, but are certainly out there. Also, old cuts hide body color much better than modern rounds. One this is that they tend to have higher crowns and were cut by hand, so look at the spread in mm to compare to modern rounds.

Examples.{click on the videos}
https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/80ct-oec-diamond-gia-g-vs2
https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/85ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-g-vs2
https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/70ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-h-vs1-1149
https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/96ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-g-vs1

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results