shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a turquoise gemstone

Adephx

Rough_Rock
Hello,

To make it short. I bought this fairly cheap silver ring 6-7 years ago to my now ex girlfriend and I made a pact to replace the turquoise stones with precious gemstones for each year of our commitment, then use it as an engagement ring. We split up after 3 years without actually replacing any of them and I always felt bad about it. We stayed in touch for the past 4 years and last month ago she has sent me the picture of the ring with one of the stones missing. I was shocked that she kept it and wore the ring all these years, so I really want to fix it her for and keep my promise. Now, I don't want cheap gems, because the ring itself isn't worth much, but they can't be too expensive, because I don't want for her to think like she owes me anything in return.

Ring in question: https://s13.postimg.org/eaih6paj9/IMG_20161204_150548_01.jpg

I have managed to track down a couple of spherical gemstones, that should fit the ring in theory (am I even supposed to look for spherical gemstones?), but I can't get a match on the color: http://www.gemselect.com/topaz/topaz-337650.php

The second issue is the price, 150$ for 3 gems, just makes me feel like I'm being cheap, so I would like to find something slightly higher. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for the color that would match the original stones, in this case, turquoise. Money isn't really an issue, but I am trying to match the original ring as much as possible, without going overboard. It's only supposed to be a kind gesture

Thank you for your time.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert, and could be wrong in thinking the original cabochon Turquoise stones were glued on to the ring setting rather than being claw or bezel set.

With this in mind, I would advise seeking cabochon stones that are opaque, so that they can be glued onto the ring setting without the glue being seen through the stones.

I cannot think of any other affordable opaque coloured gemstones for less than 150 USD in turquoise except Turquoise itself, sorry!

DK :))

Adephx

Rough_Rock
Hi and thank you for replying. You misunderstood me, 150$ is not the budget limit, I am also willing to pay for any modifications needed in order for the gemstones to fit the actual ring. To be honest, I wouldn't mind dropping 1500$ on the ring if needed, but that might be going completely overboard and I don't want to impose anything. I'm trying to find a stone that is worth something, but not to the point where she has to decline the gift.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rather than making things difficult for yourself, I would get the ring in question, take it to a reputable jeweler, and take it from there. They would be able to source stones that would be the right size than you would be for not much difference in cost if at all, and be able to determine if you can change the setting the way that you want to.

Adephx

Rough_Rock
I'll take your advice then. I always assumed that they would just laugh me out, if I showed up with a 60$ ring.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cost of the modification may outweigh the original cost of the ring X times, however, it is up to you to decide whether to proceed with the modification.

Each to their own - to some, sentimental value outweighs any logic or price.

DK :))

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought about recasting the ring in white gold? It would allow for modifications to be made which would make the ring more amenable to gemstones being set in it. That said, bright blue topaz or windex colored blue zircon would look lovely.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it does look like the stones were glued in. Gem glue is reasonably robust but not for wearing everyday and best not to get wet ie washing your hands. There are quite a few gems that might suit - jade being the most expensive otherwise tigerseye (gold and brown banded stone) lapis lazuli (dark blue) malachite (green banded) and labradorite (blueish rainbowish). Alternatively an Esty (for eg) silver jewellery craftsperson could probably re create the ring for you in Sterling Silver and add gems of your choice but in a setting that will hold the gems much more securely than glue. If you went this route you could get more "precious" gems ie emerald or star sapphire. Quite a few types of gems are cut in the cabochon style. And I think it's a lovely idea, you may not still be a couple but the time that you were was meaningful and obviously a good memory so a remembrance ring is totally fitting.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I lived in NM for for nearly 2 decades, & I'd call Palms Trading, on Lomas Blvd, & ask for help with replacing the stone. When I lived in Albuquerque, The Palms was my go-to for best selection, price, quality & service. I love Native American jewelry, it is gorgeous. The Palm was always fair re pricing, & honest in terms of representing the artist--ie, you'd never have to suspect them of not selling illegitimate items as Native American made. Good luck--this will be an easy fix for them.

https://www.palmstrading.com

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
The shape of gem that you are looking for is called a cabochon and it is flat on the bottom and rounded on the top, That is what you would need if you wanted to keep the ring exactly as is. Alternatively you could use rose-cut gems which are flat on bottom and rounded and faceted on top.

A gem called apatite would match the color, but they are less valuable than turquoise

Paraiba tourmaline is a good match and they are very valuable and sought after, but you may not be able to find any. I purchased on 3mm paraiba cabochons from Yvonne Raley at Cecile Raley Designs last year - so they exist (photo included below). What is the measurement (diameter) of the current stones in the ring?

Another idea would be rose-cut blue diamonds. they would need to be color enhanced diamonds as blue diamonds which are acceptable to many people. Goodle "rose cut blue diamonds"

I agree with one of the other posters that having the ring cast in white gold would be a nice part of the upgrade.

paraiba_3mm_cabs.jpg

rose_cut_apatite.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results