shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a thread, as always....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo and happy new year to one and all!

Some time in the last...year?...year and a half?...maybe not that long?...someone posted a thread about a three stone ring. She was a relatively new poster and I *think* her ring went on to be Jewel of the Week (maybe). What caught my eye were the proportions; the side stones were larger than normal - each being significantly over half the ctw of the center stone.

And that's about all I can remember - except that it was platinum and I believe it was an engagement ring. If anyone can remember this lovely ring, I'd love some help finding it! I looked back through the JOTW's for a number of months with no success - but perhaps someone has it saved?

All help appreciated!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the one, @oldcutclubmember! Thank you SO MUCH!

And Happy New Year to you too!

PS. I LOVE that ring!!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
That's the one, @oldcutclubmember! Thank you SO MUCH!

And Happy New Year to you too!

PS. I LOVE that ring!!

Thank you!

I am super curious as to your possible next project as I am sure it’ll be beautiful and perfectly proportioned as always!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

I am super curious as to your possible next project as I am sure it’ll be beautiful and perfectly proportioned as always!

I'm not sure, to be honest. I'm thinking about a .95ct center, with .6ct on each side - so - 2.15ctw. Platinum, low set.

I love my 3 stone but it's...a lot. And sometimes I just want something more low key. And I actually really *like* small rings. So I'm thinking of doing something like this. Alternately, I'm also considering a 5 stone - the same 3 stones I mentioned, but adding 2 x .8ct (ie 6mm) diamonds between the current center and sides. I think my Beloved 3 stone is too large to turn into a 5 stone, and I've always liked 5 stone rings even more than 3 stone rings.

My dream combination is a solitaire, a 5 stone ring, and a cluster. But that would take some work and some time.....

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure, to be honest. I'm thinking about a .95ct center, with .6ct on each side - so - 2.15ctw. Platinum, low set.

I love my 3 stone but it's...a lot. And sometimes I just want something more low key. And I actually really *like* small rings. So I'm thinking of doing something like this. Alternately, I'm also considering a 5 stone - the same 3 stones I mentioned, but adding 2 x .8ct (ie 6mm) diamonds between the current center and sides. I think my Beloved 3 stone is too large to turn into a 5 stone, and I've always liked 5 stone rings even more than 3 stone rings.

My dream combination is a solitaire, a 5 stone ring, and a cluster. But that would take some work and some time.....

I could have sworn you had a smaller three stone - with .40 sides? Or did you repurpose? My original e-ring was a three stone and sometimes I wish I kept it that way (I reset the center). They are so beautiful and classic.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could have sworn you had a smaller three stone - with .40 sides? Or did you repurpose? My original e-ring was a three stone and sometimes I wish I kept it that way (I reset the center). They are so beautiful and classic.

Hi @Mreader :))

I did - but it was about 15 years ago. It had a .83ct (F SI1) center, and a .46 (F VS2) and .47 (F VS1) as sides. They were all ideal specs and sparkled like the clappers.

I loved it and, like you, wish I'd kept it.

original 3 stone.jpeg

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock

For a center around 1ct, I really like the bigger sides for a 3 stone and I recently got a 5 stone similar in proportion to what you are considering (just a smidge smaller) so I love both of your ideas!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

I did - but it was about 15 years ago. It had a .83ct (F SI1) center, and a .46 (F VS2) and .47 (F VS1) as sides. They were all ideal specs and sparkled like the clappers.

original 3 stone.jpeg

Very pretty!! But I’m thinking of something more recent and (ironically given this thread title haha) can’t find where you mentioned it. But you said something about being unable to live without a three stone (that phrase stuck with me for some reason! And this was when Beloved was a solitaire). And you had gotten some side stones to make one.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!! But I’m thinking of something more recent and (ironically given this thread title haha) can’t find where you mentioned it. But you said something about being unable to live without a three stone (that phrase stuck with me for some reason! And this was when Beloved was a solitaire). And you had gotten some side stones to make one.

@Mreader -

I do have 2 unset .41ct ACAs, so I'm guessing it's those, and I was probably going to set them either side of the .95, which is a project that has gone back and forth in my head for eons! But I also have a gorgeous pair of .6ct diamonds (ie 1.2ctw), so I'm thinking about my options.

I have too many options.....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a center around 1ct, I really like the bigger sides for a 3 stone and I recently got a 5 stone similar in proportion to what you are considering (just a smidge smaller) so I love both of your ideas!

@oldcutclubmember -

Oooohhhhh, PLEASE do me a favor and post some photos of the 5 stone? On hand with finger size as well? Asking people for photos is always a big deal, as it's a lot to ask - but I would LOVE some help with this and would appreciate it a great deal!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bling_dream19 -

I can see you lurking out there, and would love to get your opinion. It's only small - but what do you think of the three stone in the photo above? Alternately, I can do a .95 with .6 sides, or with .41 sides, or a 5 stone with a .95 center - or a .6 center.

Your thoughts, bling sister?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader -

I do have 2 unset .41ct ACAs, so I'm guessing it's those, and I was probably going to set them either side of the .95, which is a project that has gone back and forth in my head for eons! But I also have a gorgeous pair of .6ct diamonds (ie 1.2ctw), so I'm thinking about my options.

I have too many options.....

Yes! That was it. Better too many options than not enough.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

original 3 stone.jpeg

This is gorgeous! To me, these are the ideal 3 stone proportions -- the Tiffany's 1-2-1 ratio. Adore this.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
@oldcutclubmember -

Oooohhhhh, PLEASE do me a favor and post some photos of the 5 stone? On hand with finger size as well? Asking people for photos is always a big deal, as it's a lot to ask - but I would LOVE some help with this and would appreciate it a great deal!

Unfortunately it’s not going to translate well as to ct weight/diameter ratio due to it being composed of old cuts with higher crown and smaller diameter.

So I am not sure how helpful this would be but I definitely have a lot of pictures :lol:

The ring itself is size 6, my left ring finger size is 5.5-5.75, my left index finger and right ring finger are size 6.

The center stone is 6.3x6x4.05 and is estimated to be .97ct. The ones next to the center are estimated to be around .7-.75ct each and the ones at the ends are estimated to be around .4ct each.

5D433ECE-350D-40D4-8419-F25A2FF7111A.jpeg
C4EEE0CA-D8C1-4B26-A365-961392051542.jpeg

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately it’s not going to translate well as to ct weight/diameter ratio due to it being composed of old cuts with higher crown and smaller diameter.

So I am not sure how helpful this would be but I definitely have a lot of pictures :lol:

The ring itself is size 6, my left ring finger size is 5.5-5.75, my left index finger and right ring finger are size 6.

The center stone is 6.3x6x4.05 and is estimated to be .97ct. The ones next to the center are estimated to be around .7-.75ct each and the ones at the ends are estimated to be around .4ct each.

5D433ECE-350D-40D4-8419-F25A2FF7111A.jpeg
C4EEE0CA-D8C1-4B26-A365-961392051542.jpeg

Oh lordy - how lovely! Thank you so much for sharing this - I love it!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Oh lordy - how lovely! Thank you so much for sharing this - I love it!

Thank you! I love the proportions and I can imagine that bit bigger diameters in ideal cut MRBs would be just fabulous ❤️

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I love the proportions and I can imagine that bit bigger diameters in ideal cut MRBs would be just fabulous ❤️

Fingers crossed! It won't be for a while yet but, when it's done, I'll definitely post photos!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
@bling_dream19 -

I can see you lurking out there, and would love to get your opinion. It's only small - but what do you think of the three stone in the photo above? Alternately, I can do a .95 with .6 sides, or with .41 sides, or a 5 stone with a .95 center - or a .6 center.

Your thoughts, bling sister?

I adore your former petite 3 stone. So, you're considering a 3 stone with .95 center and either. 6 or .4 sides? Or a 5 stone with .95 center or .6 center?
I lean towards loving larger sides so I think .95 center with .6 sides would be stunning!!!
And use the .4 diamonds in your 5 stone and buy what you need to make the ring! Then you've got your jaw dropping gorgeous ACA 3 stone, a new petite 3 stone, you have your stunning cluster and then a 5 stone utilizing your .4 diamonds! You may have wanted an either/or opinion and you got as usual....buy all the diamonds opinion from your bling sister! Your collection is beautiful and whatever direction you take will be perfect. By making the 3 stone first you can see if you'll wear it. Or purchase a 3 stone Berricle close to your specs and see how you feel.
Or does your heart really want the 5 stone and you use the .95 center, .6 sides and .4 sides. I'm no help lol. It's good to have options! Half of the fun is in the planning and tweaking. Keep me posted girl!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore your former petite 3 stone. So, you're considering a 3 stone with .95 center and either. 6 or .4 sides? Or a 5 stone with .95 center or .6 center?
I lean towards loving larger sides so I think .95 center with .6 sides would be stunning!!!
And use the .4 diamonds in your 5 stone and buy what you need to make the ring! Then you've got your jaw dropping gorgeous ACA 3 stone, a new petite 3 stone, you have your stunning cluster and then a 5 stone utilizing your .4 diamonds! You may have wanted an either/or opinion and you got as usual....buy all the diamonds opinion from your bling sister! Your collection is beautiful and whatever direction you take will be perfect. By making the 3 stone first you can see if you'll wear it. Or purchase a 3 stone Berricle close to your specs and see how you feel.
Or does your heart really want the 5 stone and you use the .95 center, .6 sides and .4 sides. I'm no help lol. It's good to have options! Half of the fun is in the planning and tweaking. Keep me posted girl!

Laughing here. "Buy all the diamonds", right? :mrgreen:My only concern with the 5 stone is that it would be 29mm wide. and I'm thinking maybe...too wide....

So instead, how about 2 x .4, 2 x .5 and 1 x .6 for the 5 stone? I think that would be perfect.

Then a 3 stone of .95 with 2 x .6 sides?

Then one petite 3 stone - a .96 center with 1/4ct pear sides?

The issue is - I'm not wearing my cluster earrings. I have no idea why. They feel a little...overly dressy? A tad frumpy? I don't know. I want to do a set of hoops using the side stones and 8 more 20 pt diamonds I already have. They would be lovely and still very substantial - coming in at about 4.8ctw. That would leave me with the centers. So then I could do the 3 stone with the .6ct sides and the one with the pear sides.

I already have the 2 x .4 and the .6 - so I'd only need a pair of .5's to get the 5 stone over the line as well.

I think this would work....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results