shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a spinel to give a home to

spinelhunter

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am looking for a blue spinel for my engagement ring. I've seen a few posts about spinels, but not much on where to find them. Do you have an suggestions? I'm afraid that my taste in stones is not very advanced (in other words i find many of the spinels that are not technically good specimens, like the blueish grey ones, beautiful). Though in fairness, I have only looked at pictures online. I'm hoping to find something around 2 carats for a reasonable price.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay area and would love to be able to see some in person. Any suggestions?

I've seen some reasonable spinels on ebay from "top sellers", but that makes me nervous. Do any of you have an ebay seller you would recommend or have worked with?

Thanks so much!

Kaja

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a while, he wasn't taking on any new jobs as he was trying to cut way back after the birth of his son? daughter? Do you know whether he is taking new cutting commissions? I have some rough I bought from them and would love for him to cut it, if possible...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not everybody has the same tastes or mid-quality to lower quality gemstones will never sell. It's all about the right price point for any particular stone. When you say "reasonable" price, what is the price range you are looking for? Also certain hues of spinel tend to be more in demand, hence more expensive than other colours of spinel.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Minous, I think David is taking new projects again. He has listed custom cutting info recently on their website, an put up a few new stones, so I think he may be available.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That latest spinel of David's (which is KILLER, IMO - you have to like the colour shift to purple, though - and it would be quite large for an e-ring, especially depending on the size of your finger) was cut recently, but the other two listed (one of which will be mine) were cut prior to his daughter's birth. He is still very backed up cutting-wise and not really taking on new projects as far as I know, at least not with any timeline promises. He only has small pieces of blue spinel rough, other than another huge one that I believe is his next project.

Tan on ebay has had an oval blue spinel listed for a while: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370283807072?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Also, you could try Jason Brim of Select Gem - he listed a large (9.5 mm, 3.75 ct) violet spinel a few days ago, which might be available again. Try him through his website or Facebook.

There are a couple more that I can think of that may be available (I've been on the hunt for one myself for several months) - it would help to know what shape you like, and size preference in mm?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had to shout out that I love your handle name, and I feel it would apply to most of us in the colored stone section. It's hard to find a good blue spinel, especially at a reasonable price, since we all snatch them up very quickly. :Up_to_something:

Check out the pre-owned forum from time to time as well, since there are often blue spinels up for sale from people that have too many (it's addicting).

Swalagemtraders.com also occasionally has some blue spinels for sale too. He's in Africa, but returns can be made to North America.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results