shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a sizable yellow durable gem

CtrlAltElite

Rough_Rock
Being pretty new, Im hearing that tourmaline's are not good everyday rings. That said, Ive spent that last few days going over the vender list looking for a sizable yellow gem for a ring for my wife. 10x10mm round or similar size. I think sapphires that size are out of the range, but Ive seen tourmaline, citrons, zircons. All look beautiful, but if they will wear down from everyday use, I think Ill pass.

Also, just in general, Ive seen some really awesome tourmaline's. All different colors. Does anyone have a large one they can share there experience with?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrysoberyl would be worth a look; comes in yellow/golden hues, affordable and mohs hardness of 8.5

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your budget?

CtrlAltElite

Rough_Rock
Id like to keep it around $1,500-$2,000 for the stone. Ive seen A TON of great looking stuff, just hard to pull the trigger. But if spending $1,500 is going to get something that's going to scratch and chip over time, Id rather save for something worthwhile. So tourmalines are just too soft for an everyday ring?

arabella

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to recommend chrysoberyl too since this is an everyday wear ring. The one that Niel posted looks like a great yellow and seems like it has very little if any green tones. If you don't mind some green and are open to shapes other than round, there are some other chrysoberyls I have in mind for you if you'd like.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many people can wear a ring with a stone a hardness of 7 like tourmaline with no problems, others can damage a sapphire in a short time. Itdepends howhard you are on things.

Look at the Apple Watch, the screen on the sport model is around a 7 hardness. I wear mine every day, all day, and don't have a mark on it. I suspect the same people who are telling you you can't wear a tourmaline would have the watch destroyed by now too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1443698684|3933737 said:
Many people can wear a ring with a stone a hardness of 7 like tourmaline with no problems, others can damage a sapphire in a short time. Itdepends howhard you are on things.

Look at the Apple Watch, the screen on the sport model is around a 7 hardness. I wear mine every day, all day, and don't have a mark on it. I suspect the same people who are telling you you can't wear a tourmaline would have the watch destroyed by now too.

I did destroy a tourmaline, chipped the heck out of it. It not only has chips, but huge chunks taken out of it. I also destroyed an aqua. Both were in normal prong settings, not set too high or anything. I also have a huge scratch on a tourmaline right now. Haven't destroyed many gemstones since, as I'm more careful with my hands now. However, for me, the rings that I wear everyday are garnets and spinels, which don't have any issues. They''re pretty durable considering garnets are only a 7. So I speak from personal experience, if you're hard on your rings, don't wear a tourmaline or a beryl for that matter.

Chrysoberyl is an excellent choice for the OP since it's not only affordable, but typically untreated, and very very hard AND durable. Note durability is not the same as hardness.

S

SparkliesLuver

What about topaz? Doug of Bespoke Gems has a lot of champagne and neutral rough. Might be worth an email to him.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
CtrlAltElite: My advice to you is that if you have your heart set on tourmaline for your wife, you should get tourmaline as long as you both are aware of its hardness/durability and know how to care for it. 10x10mm is a sizable ring, and a bigger target means it's easier for it to get whacked on something as your wife goes about her day. I personally was recently considering all sorts of stones -- tourmaline, garnet, spinel, sapphire -- as a center stone for my e-ring, and I think any of them would have worked for me because I don't wear jewelry around the house and rarely wear any to work, either (I'm in the medical field) so I knew even my "everyday" e-ring likely wouldn't get worn every day.

I recommended chrysoberyl to you because I knew you could get more bang for your buck on top of better hardness/durability, plus I just really like chrysoberyl :D

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chips and scratches are two different things. Stones can only be scratched by something harder than they are. You wont encounter many things in your normal day that are harder then even some of softer gemstones.
Chips can happen to even very hard stones. I know a guy whos main business is fixing chipped diamonds.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP: do you know anything about that seller? If you don't, I wouldn't consider it. From the one pic, it does look to have a sizable window.

You might want to consider some of the suggestions other PSers have provided you. :))

CtrlAltElite

Rough_Rock
thanks. Ill pass than

CtrlAltElite

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help everyone. I much prefer buying my own gem and designing a ring than buying something at the jeweler. Kinda makes it fun for me too when buying for my wife. I went off the recommended vendor list and got a gorgeous, but smaller than I originally wanted Chrysoberyl from Jeff at Earths Treasury. It looked so amazing and it was his only one. Now can save a little more for another gem!

_34723.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CtrlAltElite|1443813912|3934194 said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I much prefer buying my own gem and designing a ring than buying something at the jeweler. Kinda makes it fun for me too when buying for my wife. I went off the recommended vendor list and got a gorgeous, but smaller than I originally wanted Chrysoberyl from Jeff at Earths Treasury. It looked so amazing and it was his only one. Now can save a little more for another gem!

What mm size is it??

CtrlAltElite

Rough_Rock
Page is down now after I bought, but I think its around 7mm

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CtrlAltElite|1443815742|3934205 said:
Page is down now after I bought, but I think its around 7mm

Oh I bet that was nice and affordable what are your plans with it?

CtrlAltElite

Rough_Rock
It was def not as costly as a 6ct. There was a video and nice pics, so I def feel comfortable. Will be using it for kinda like an everyday ring. Need to find a setting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CtrlAltElite|1443833151|3934285 said:
It was def not as costly as a 6ct. There was a video and nice pics, so I def feel comfortable. Will be using it for kinda like an everyday ring. Need to find a setting.

I be interested to see what you think of it in person. I think they have a lovely sparkle. Let us know if you're looking for setting ideas, we do so love helping others design jewelry lol

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks to have lovely cutting - can't wait for you to have it in hand.

larryfish

Rough_Rock
yellow gems are hard to find

20150911_172319.jpg

20150911_173945.jpg

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
**edited by moderator, no selling on the forum outside of preloved**

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results