shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leah19shahan

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for a loose sapphire and need some help. I would like a 1 to 2 carat sapphire, eye clean, and price under $700. Is this possible, or do I need a bigger budget. Also, I know sapphire ct''s are different to diamond carats. I wanting the look of a 1ct diamond, so what size sapphire would I need to get? I don''t know where to begin. Please help.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of variables, it''s certainly doable with that budget, but you won''t get the most "in demand" color. Any idea what color you want? Sapphires come in all different colors...And what cut? Those things will help us find some stones for you.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Another important question- are you okay with a heat-treated sapphire? Stones with no heat will definitely be more expensive. Depending on your color preferences, I definitely think we can help you find something great in your budget.

One carat diamond = about 6.5 mm (if round); diameter is the thing you''ll want to check, rather than weight.

leah19shahan

Rough_Rock
I do not mind heated. I like cushion,oval,emerald,or round cut. I''m wanting to purchase a stone for a new ring, not sure what style im going to go with. It all depends on the sapphire. Regarding the color, I like light to medium blues or violets. Not anything to dark, but something that seems to have a little glimmer to it. Thanks so much for helping.

leah19shahan

Rough_Rock
That''s very pretty, but just a little to light for me. Would like a more color if possible. I may have to wait awhile longer and up my budget
8.gif

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
I know sapphire ct''s are different to diamond carats. I wanting the look of a 1ct diamond, so what size sapphire would I need to get?

4.0/3.52 = 1.14 cts

A 1.14 ct sapphire will be the same size as a 1.00 ct diamond, assuming equal cutting.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 7:47:43 PM
Author: zeolite
I know sapphire ct's are different to diamond carats. I wanting the look of a 1ct diamond, so what size sapphire would I need to get?

4.0/3.52 = 1.14 cts

A 1.14 ct sapphire will be the same size as a 1.00 ct diamond, assuming equal cutting.

True in theory, assuming equal cutting, which isn't equal in colored stones. But sapphires are often cut much deeper than diamonds, making the above comparison not super useful IRL.

I would go with the MM measurements myself too...you're talking like 6.5x6.5 for a round and slightly lower for fancies for the same look as a 1 carat diamond.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 6:20:01 PM
Author:leah19shahan
I''m looking for a loose sapphire and need some help. I would like a 1 to 2 carat sapphire, eye clean, and price under $700. Is this possible, or do I need a bigger budget. Also, I know sapphire ct''s are different to diamond carats. I wanting the look of a 1ct diamond, so what size sapphire would I need to get? I don''t know where to begin. Please help.
Go for the mm dimension. In the end, you will pay by the ctw x $$ but if you aim for 6-7mm tops that will give you the effect of 1 carat.

Please feel free to post links to those you are looking at: there are many people here with a lot of expertise and knowledge in this field. And I have found them always accomodating and happy to help.

LS

leah19shahan

Rough_Rock
You mentioned a spinel. It is very pretty, but what is its hardness? Im looking for a stone that would hold up to every day use.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hardness on a spinel is an 8 on the Mohs scale. But if you spend enough time around here, you''ll find that it''s not recommended that ANY stone be worn 24/7.

This is, unfortunately, something I''ve been dealing with.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You shouldn''t have problems finding a heated one under 1,5 carats in Ceylon type shades with that budget. Maybe something like this:

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1803400702

Not the best cut, but the color seems nice and they''re not hard to find.

leah19shahan

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know where i could find a nice spinel off the internet from a trustworthy seller?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you visit my ering thread "Desperately Seeking Spinel" there are many vendors mentioned. Any one of them can help you out. Feel free to ask us about any in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results