shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a Sapphire in Los Angeles

twindoeflow

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I've spent a very long time looking online for a sapphire and have come to be disillusioned with the process. Their are entirely too many variables to consider, I've purchased two stones and returned them based on the how it looked in person vs online. I've spent a lot of time reading through these posts and checking out a lot of the vendors... however, I think the best way to purchase one (maybe not financially) would be to visit a store.

I went to jewelers row here not too long ago (i'm an east coast transplant so I was unfamiliar with the area) and couldn't believe how many people could "guarantee the best stone," I quickly got fed up, and walked out. I plan on visiting GemFix in San Diego in the near future, however, does anyone know of any reputable stores selling well cut and potentially well priced sapphires in Los Angeles? I'd even be willing to talk to a back alley dealer if his gems are certified! :razz:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anticipating people asking what I"m looking for:
Something around 8x6x5 (very loose numbers based on shape)
Open to shape so long as the color is right.
Color should be cornflower blue style to royal - good cut and brilliance.
Budget is < $4k

Thank you all in advance.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd visit Palagems in Fallbrook, CA, which is on the I 15 freeway about half way between LA and San Diego, just east of Camp Pendleton.

They cut colored stones and wholesale them to retail jewelry stores.
I believe you can make an appointment to visit and view stones.
But to buy it, or to price it, one of their dealers must get involved.
You cannot see the wholesale price and I assume every retailer will set their own price so that's kind of a hassle.
At least you'll see a selection of stones in person locally, sort of.

Even if you don't find your stone it sounds like a wonderful and educational day trip.
I've never been, but it's on my To Do list.

www.palagems.com

twindoeflow

Rough_Rock
Chrono,

I'm actually in discussions with Dana/Rachelle on this one and two others on his site, what is your take on it? How does the cutting/color look to all you experts out there? I attached a pic for you guys from a while back that shows the stone you recommend as well as others including one that I was going to get but was sold (2.97).

_34963.jpg

twindoeflow

Rough_Rock
Sounds cool but I have limited time unless someone on here knows a dealer whose willing to tag along ^wink wink^

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since Dana has all the stones in hand, ask him for his recommendation. Select 2 or 3 stones for you to choose from. If you can swing it, view them in person to make the final decision. It comes down to your personal preference for the performance of the sapphire (colour, colour shifting and cutting).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results