shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a reputable jeweler in NYC Diamond district

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

josiecat

Rough_Rock
I''m in the market for a round brilliant stone, preferably 2 carats or better.

I am familiar with Firenze Jewels and I thought I had found a great deal on their website, but when I called to inquire about clarity, the price for the stone increased by more than $3,000. However, their prices are significantly lower than what I''ve seen in the DC, northern VA area. so they may still be an option. I have also contacted I.D. Jewelry and their prices are very competitve.

If you have worked with either of these jewelers or have had a wonderful experience with another jeweler in the diamond district I would appreciate your comments. Thanks

FYI,
I prefer at least a G-H color stone and would be fine with a SI2 clarity stone if it is eye clean.

Also, is a certificate from EGL USA a bad thing?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mark at Engagement Rings Direct is very reputable and located in the diamond district. He also has great prices.

Good Old Gold is located on Long Island and is also great.

Locally, Quest is known for great stuff too, they are in N.Va somewhere.

josiecat

Rough_Rock
THanks for the reply. I tried looking up Quest in VA, but nothing comes up.

dude227

Rough_Rock
I bought a diamond from Excel. They have nice stones, and from what I could tell by comparing to whiteflash and goodoldgold, their prices were competitive.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are hundreds of "good guys" to buy from in NYC. Getting anyone to list the "bad guys" is not an easy thing to do.
1. educate yourself with facts about diamonds.
2. figure out the shape you most prefer.
3. shop for a little while to determine how much color you can accept.
4. also shop for the clarity level you can accept.
5. While shopping, ask the prices on stones you like. Derive the range of your required budget choices by the prices quoted.
6. go back to your Internet research and figure out the potential to buy the shape, weight, color and clarity you have decided suit you best.
7. You will rapidly find if any firm you shopped has given you a fair price or not. You may also find that some vendor on the Internet has exactly the diamond you would like to buy at a very good price. Who knows?

Keep in mind that GIA and AGS report grades are relatively comparable. Any other grades provided by other labs may not be directly comparable. They might be, but YOU don''t know how to make that decision. Comparing apples to apples is all you can do properly unless you just are determined to buy blind. Without expert advice from an unbiased party, do not assume any document from any lab is the same as GIA or AGS. Might be, but might not be.

Also, in NYC you may be sent to the retailer''s buddy for an "appraisal". DO NOT USE such a biased recommendation or pay for such services. You are just as well off flipping a coin and it will waste less time and cost nothing because such a recommendation is pretty much worthless. YOU find your own adviser, not someone in the pocket of the seller.

Follow these steps and you will find it hard to go wrong. Cut a corner and assume you will probably mess up. Even very lucky people can''t beat the odds.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Facets (aka: Signed Pieces) is also located in NYC. They have offices now and not a booth and require an appointment on Fridays I think, but for the jewelry part they are pretty reputable here on PS. For diamonds, i would go to Mark at ERD, but he also does settings as well, so take your pick!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''m in DC, too.

Quest is not as easy to find as it should be on the internet. It''s mentioned here a lot (so you can search here for mentions). If their website is still in transition, this is it.

If going to NY, plan accordingly, and do visit GOG on Long Island.

Though Jim at James Allen is in Frederick, I read here he may have hook ups in NY which may be as favorable or more, so worth checking.

Search on this board...don''t wait for someone to find your post. Lots here.

metromom

Shiny_Rock
Here is the Web site for quest:

http://www.questfinejewelers.com/

I just went there on Tuesday and met with Pete and his brothers. They were great. I also considered going to New York but after I went to Quest, I was so impressed with their service that I decided to go with them. Plus, I live in the metro dc area so it''s nice to have someone local. I am custom designing a micropave setting and they have a lifetime guarentee on lost stones. That enough made my decision easy.

Call Pete and make an appointment before you go.

Good luck.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
I concur with Neatfreak.
Engagement Rings Direct (Office of Mark Turnowski)is in the process of making my ring now!
I''ve been working with Gary Friedman there, and I can tell you they are both great.
Diamond shopping can be stressful, and these two will put you right at ease, take lots of time with you and it will be a great experience!
Good Luck in your search.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Josiecat,

You''ve got some potentially big spread possibilities vis-a-vis cost. Are there any real world parameters besides what you''ve already described?

Otherwise, just using the simple options presented in the search by cut db here, I can configure a road trip, which can be of course reconfigured many ways, but...

Consider that if you include options 2 + carats, F - H, VS 2 - SI 2, you''ll have a range in costs here from $13,860 - $30,773. That''s a big range.

Guys like Quest are known for their jewelry work. Maybe they''re fab analyzing diamonds, too, but that''s not what they''re known for. GOG is known, however, for both a) analyzing diamonds, and b) having them in his shop. Quest, I think, and most guys, would need to order them in for you to see.

So:

1) Run the search by cut db yourself to see the results
2) See this one from JA is priced at $13,860 (wire priced), and may be perfect.
a) note...while there, there''s a number of others too, most from JA (in house? virtual? blend? don''t know...), some from WF, and one from GOG
3) See corporate offices for JA are in NY
a) consider it''s possible if you prefer the EGR option instead, they may be able to get same options in as JA, not sure.
4) Consider...buy (he gives you 30 days to return it) the JA option, bring it G0G, prepare to lay it next to this one, $27,678 wire prices, and see how Jonathan can help you understand the doubling in price.

Just some ideas...

josiecat

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your responses. Diamond shopping is turning out to be quite a time-consuming process, but I''m learning a lot. Oldminer and Regular Guy, thank you for your detailed responses. I will take all of your advice into consideration. Regular Guy, as far as additional parameters are concerned, my husband wants to stay in the $13-14,000 range. This figure fluctuates depending on how well I''ve been behaving ;-)
Also, I could possibly be satisfied with an I color stone. I saw an I color stone a week ago and I felt as though it was too yellow for me, however, the certificate was from EGL, so it may very well have been in the J color range. Preferably, I want an SI1, but if the stone is eye clean and/or the inclusions are outside of the table and can be hidden with a prong, I can be happy with an SI2. Furthermore, I''m pretty much only interested in an ideal -- very good cut diamond and both polish and symmetry have to be very good.

I was planning on visiting the district this weekend, but of course with my luck, the exchange is on vacation for a couple of weeks. Looks like I won''t be making a purchase until the end of the month. So this gives me some more time to research mt options.

All in all, I want the biggest and best looking stone I can get for the money.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Josie,
Just an FYI...
ERD (Mark T) works by appointment only. They don''t have a "store front". However if you call them and give them your parameters, they''ll hand pick a selection of stones for you to review when you see them. It''s all very personalized (unlike the stores and ''booths'' on 47th St) and they give you their undivided attention, answer any and all questions, and take great care to find/make exactly what you''re looking for.
Good Luck!

DBM

Shiny_Rock
the first week of july basically the entire district is closed but many come back to work in the second week. by the third week of july i believe the district is pretty much back in business except for maybe some who take off a whole month.. not many though i don''t think

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results