shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for a red stone

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
HI CS lovers ,
complete newbie here ( but know a lot about diamonds ) .my husband got tired of my diamond collection and ordered me to buy a ruby pendant .I searched in dept stores ,ebay but could not find anything I liked . basically I am looking for a ruby true red color ,eye clean ,oval or round shape , at least 1 ct ,heated ,to put in a diamond halo pendant .I checked some of the CS vendors but got so confused . price varies so much . my budget for the stone is maximum $1K .do you think that is doable ? and where to start looking ? are there any vendors who sell CS jewelry ?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricing will vary depending on the colour quality and level of treatment. A 1 ct ruby with top colour and heat only will cost about $4000 thereabouts, unless you are willing to compromise on colour, clarity, size and / or treatment.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono,
Thanks for your reply .as the ruby will be for a pendant ,I am not overly concerned about treatments . but it should be eye clean ,sparkly not dull like most rubies I see .and true red color not pinkish or garnet color . any more help ?

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the links . by the way does the inclusions in rubies affect the sparkle ? and will they the show much through the red color ?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1349708463|3281494 said:
Pricing will vary depending on the colour quality and level of treatment. A 1 ct ruby with top colour and heat only will cost about $4000 thereabouts, unless you are willing to compromise on colour, clarity, size and / or treatment.

With top color, and heated, no other treatment, probably AT LEAST $10K. I'm talking top color Burmese here. You may find a nice Thai or African ruby with great color for around $4K for a 1 carat 'heated only' stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jeweln|1349747676|3281905 said:
Thanks for the links . by the way does the inclusions in rubies affect the sparkle ? and will they the show much through the red color ?

Rubies aren't known for sparkle as much as the color. Most are included and most are treated in some form including heat, coating, fracture filling, lead glass filling, irradiation, etc. . .

Also, unless you've seen a top red ruby in person (and I don't mean in a photo), it will be hard to ascertain top quality color.

gongli

Rough_Rock
try naturalunheatedruby.com also. prices are sometimes said to be high but they are rarities.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
everyone ,thanks for your replies .I am not looking for unheated rubies since thats going to be out of my budget .I only want a red & somewhat sparkly stone that can stand constant wear .I do not like glass filled though .other long lasting treatments are fine .

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem is that due to inclusions within the stone, it is going to be difficult to find a sparkly ruby. They are more glowy than sparkly. In short, your budget is going to be a challenge if you want a very red heat only ruby. Something has to give.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results