carat
color
clarity

Looking for a Red Emerald Cut Spinel

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Suggestions? Links?

I am not comfortable with Ebay....but anything other then that and I am open.

Minimum size: 9x7mm must be a true red.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cokitty|1309304224|2957405 said:

Not likely to find a true red, as they are rarer than rare, especially if you are looking for a specific shape. Most red spinels are orangey red, or pinkish red, so there will have to be some compromise there I think.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TL|1309304479|2957408 said:
cokitty|1309304224|2957405 said:

Not likely to find a true red, as they are rarer than rare, especially if you are looking for a specific shape. Most red spinels are orangey red, or pinkish red, so there will have to be some compromise there I think.

I could go for a small amount of blue tint. But I dont care for any of the orange hints...I have been looking for a while on my own. I would be willing to buy a much larger stone, say a cushion and have it cut down. But the color is important.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a budget?

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was thinking up to 7k.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pure red spinels that aren't too dark in tone (that look like very dark pyrope garnets) are extremely rare, especially if you want not a drop of orange and you want a blue red. I think you'll be far more likely to find that color in a Burmese ruby, and a heated one, because an unheated one would be out of your budget. I would have an issue cutting down such incredibly rare material as well, as it could be several thousand dollars per carat. There is a lady on this board that has been trying, like mad, to find a pure red, or a hot pink spinel, without a trace of orange, and it has been very difficult for her.

Have you gone to a gem show? That might be your best bet, if you know what fine red color looks like.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TL|1309307688|2957464 said:
Pure red spinels that aren't too dark in tone (that look like very dark pyrope garnets) are extremely rare, especially if you want not a drop of orange and you want a blue red. I think you'll be far more likely to find that color in a Burmese ruby, and a heated one, because an unheated one would be out of your budget. I would have an issue cutting down such incredibly rare material as well, as it could be several thousand dollars per carat. There is a lady on this board that has been trying, like mad, to find a pure red, or a hot pink spinel, without a trace of orange, and it has been very difficult for her.

Have you gone to a gem show? That might be your best bet, if you know what fine red color looks like.

I have been to a few gem shows, but I have seen nothing that interests me. I might be willing to go ruby, but to be honest I have not seen anything in that field that I find particularly enticing either.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cokitty|1309308671|2957487 said:

I have been to a few gem shows, but I have seen nothing that interests me. I might be willing to go ruby, but to be honest I have not seen anything in that field that I find particularly enticing either.

A fine blue red in a natural or even simply heated color is the most expensive in the colored gem world. I am really sorry, but I doubt you will find anything that fits your budget. What you're looking for is the "Holy Grail" of many serious gem collectors, and finding a pure red with a touch of blue is just near impossible unless you have great connections and deep wallets. I'm sorry. JMO.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TL|1309308869|2957495 said:
cokitty|1309308671|2957487 said:

A fine blue red in a natural or even simply heated color is the most expensive in the colored gem world. I am really sorry, but I doubt you will find anything that fits your budget. What you're looking for is the "Holy Grail" of many serious gem collectors, and finding a pure red with a touch of blue is just near impossible unless you have great connections and deep wallets. I'm sorry. JMO.
You are always welcome to your opinion.

Just curious what is it that you do?

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I say just keep looking and with a lot of research and bit of luck, you may be able to find your stone. As TL suggested, it is a good idea to venture to some gem shows, even if it is only to bulk up on the education of spinel. I think it is really important to see stones in person, especially if you have a specific color in mind. Not only that, but one person's idea of true red will differ greatly from someone else.

Best of luck in your search. I hope you get exactly what you are hoping for!

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sphenequeen|1309309681|2957516 said:
I say just keep looking and with a lot of research and bit of luck, you may be able to find your stone. As TL suggested, it is a good idea to venture to some gem shows, even if it is only to bulk up on the education of spinel. I think it is really important to see stones in person, especially if you have a specific color in mind. Not only that, but one person's idea of true red will differ greatly from someone else.

Best of luck in your search. I hope you get exactly what you are hoping for!
Thanks SQ! I have a number of them already and a few rubies. I am a lucky kid. But I have a very specific project in mind and I want what I want. Every once in while I see something I think is close, but sadly no luck so far.
But it is like you said, patience, luck and education will get you where you want to be!

(Actually I emailed a PS vendor and he was able to find a stone to recut in my price range in what he thinks is true red that same day....I am debating the wisdom as once he re-cut it for me I would not have much of an option if I did not care for the final look.)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with TL.

Having said that, Richard Wise has this up for sale, almost in your size parameters and within your budget...with 10% orange tone.

http://www.rwwise.com/products/id|1083

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1309310465|2957537 said:
I agree with TL.

Having said that, Richard Wise has this up for sale, almost in your size parameters and within your budget...with 10% orange tone.

Thanks Freke, but when I look at the RW spinel, I think pyrope garnet, not pure red with a touch of blue, or even what he calls "vivid." :wacko: I think sphenequeen is right, and not everyone's idea of "pure red" is the same. ABGF purchased a more red, more saturated stone than that one, if his photo is accurate, and the AGL deemed her gem around 30% orange if I remember correctly. I know it was more than 10% orange.

To the OP, I have been collecting colored gemstones for over 20 years. I am not in the trade. Also be careful of what vendors tell you, as again, their idea of pure red may not be your idea of pure red either. So many people on this board have had to learn that the hard way.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I agree with you on the pyrope, TL, I have a handful of tiny 2mm maraschino round red spinels and they spoiled me. Between them just existing at the color they are, but also the fact that they were originally priced in the 70s...and stayed at that price.

Really, the 4 things that this spinel of RWW's has going for it are:

1. Size. It's size is just below the OP's parameters
2. It's red. Well, more red than anything else.
3. It's under the $7k budget.
4. Elongated cushion. Not an emerald, but kinda close!

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1309312254|2957547 said:
Oh I agree with you on the pyrope, TL, I have a handful of tiny 2mm maraschino round red spinels and they spoiled me. Between them just existing at the color they are, but also the fact that they were originally priced in the 70s...and stayed at that price.

Really, the 4 things that this spinel of RWW's has going for it are:

1. Size. It's size is just below the OP's parameters
2. It's red. Well, more red than anything else.
3. It's under the $7k budget.
4. Elongated cushion. Not an emerald, but kinda close!

Freke Child, thank you for the link, to be that stone seems a bit brown. I suppose I should clarify that my version of true red is crimson.

I think I may be easier to please then AGBF, I want something that reminds me of school.... 8)

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TL|1309310894|2957539 said:
I agree with TL.

Thanks Freke, but when I look at the RW spinel, I think pyrope garnet, not pure red with a touch of blue, or even what he calls "vivid." :wacko: I think sphenequeen is right, and not everyone's idea of "pure red" is the same. ABGF purchased a more red, more saturated stone than that one, if his photo is accurate, and the AGL deemed her gem around 30% orange if I remember correctly. I know it was more than 10% orange.

To the OP, I have been collecting colored gemstones for over 20 years. I am not in the trade. Also be careful of what vendors tell you, as again, their idea of pure red may not be your idea of pure red either. So many people on this board have had to learn that the hard way.

Yes TL true red a matter of personal preference. I like things that have a certain vibe, I am not a collector in the pure sense of the word. I am more in the school or wear enjoy it keep it where you can see it. But to find that sapphire that I am currently having set I looked about maybe a dozen, all of which seemed perfect from the photos I saw. But the personality of any stone needs to be seen in person IMO, there is a certain something that needs to be viewed in person.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may be helpful if you post photos of what your ideal color of red is, as there are various hues/tones of crimson as well. Just a thought. :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cokitty|1309312972|2957559 said:
I think I may be easier to please then AGBF

Hmmm. I was very picky about what color red I wanted in a spinel, but I am not usually hard to please about anything! I was just reading along in this thread and was surprised to see myself mentioned! I couldn't be a more down to earth person! I just got my first designer bag recently. (I carry mainly quilted Vera Bradley bags although my 18 year-old daughter has Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and so forth!)

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1309310894|2957539 said:
I agree with TL.

My stone, which was described as, "red" in the AGL lab report was 20% orange, if I am reading the report correctly.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Attachments

• AGBFSpinelColor.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 697

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is 20% orange. Thanks for that ABGF.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Pala has some red spinels, but you will need to go through someone in the trade.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True red or very slightly bluish red in a spinel is going to take a long time to find and be very expensive. Add that you wish to recut means that you are also "throwing" money down the drain with the loss of carat weight, size and cutting cost. Does it have to be a spinel? You are more likely to find such a candidate in a ruby over a spinel.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1309349191|2957830 said:
True red or very slightly bluish red in a spinel is going to take a long time to find and be very expensive. Add that you wish to recut means that you are also "throwing" money down the drain with the loss of carat weight, size and cutting cost. Does it have to be a spinel? You are more likely to find such a candidate in a ruby over a spinel.
No it doesn't have to be a spinel, a ruby would be fine as well.

breezing

Rough_Rock
lisa elser had red spinels - not sure if any are the shape you're looking for but worth shooting her an e-mail to see if she has any or has more rough http://www.lisaelser.com/index.html

she also had a beautiful red tourmaline (just thought i'd throw that out there :tongue: )

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1309317598|2957625 said:
cokitty|1309312972|2957559 said:
I think I may be easier to please then AGBF

Hmmm. I was very picky about what color red I wanted in a spinel, but I am not usually hard to please about anything! I was just reading along in this thread and was surprised to see myself mentioned! I couldn't be a more down to earth person! I just got my first designer bag recently. (I carry mainly quilted Vera Bradley bags although my 18 year-old daughter has Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and so forth!)

Deb/AGBF

AGBF I have been reading this board on and off since 2003, you are one of the classiest ladies that has ever posted on here. No offense was meant.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like this well enough....its just too small. :blackeye:

crimson.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cokitty|1309407367|2958763 said:
AGBF I have been reading this board on and off since 2003, you are one of the classiest ladies that has ever posted on here. No offense was meant.

It says in the Bible that, "a soft answer turneth away wrath". Well, when I read what you wrote, cokitty, I was ready to wash your floors! What do you use on them? Spic and Span? Wax?

Your new best friend,
Deb

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1309409830|2958797 said:
cokitty|1309407367|2958763 said:

It says in the Bible that, "a soft answer turneth away wrath". Well, when I read what you wrote, cokitty, I was ready to wash your floors! What do you use on them? Spic and Span? Wax?

Your new best friend,
Deb

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

AGBF- You are an angel, I meant what I said. 8)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results