shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a portable DVD player...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It needs to be kid friendly since this will be for DD. I guess the screen needs to flip (so she can''t play with the buttons). I would love something with a longer battery (maybe 4 hours?) since this will be used for plane rides. Any ideas?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 10:06:23 PM
Author:Tacori E-ring
It needs to be kid friendly since this will be for DD. I guess the screen needs to flip (so she can''t play with the buttons). I would love something with a longer battery (maybe 4 hours?) since this will be used for plane rides. Any ideas?
Hm....I just bought my friend the Sony DVPFX820. It got good reviews on cnet, and I believe it does swivel. Since I have not used it myself, I can''t say more than that, but my friend loved it!!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any recommendations but just wanted to say I love your new avatar. Your DD is beyond adorable!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal, thanks I''ll look it up. They do make "kid''s" ones which seem more durable (they don''t close and some have rubber on the sides) but I am worried about a 2 hour battery. Flights for us are a min. of 2 hours. I guess I could always buy a spare.

CD, thanks! She is pretty cute.
16.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
No one else has one?

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought a Panasonic (I think) at Costco. I don''t know how the battery life holds out, as we have actually never relied on battery power - in the SUV we use the adapter, and on the plane, we have had in the inseat TVs with Treehouse. Sorry!!!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
One thing you might look into is getting an airplane power adapter--a lot of flights are starting to offer power outlets in seat. I know at least the Targus Universal Adapter works with some portable dvd players (Panasonic & Pioneer, I believe). You have to check with the airline to see if they have them, but it definitely solves the power problem.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
LC, my car already has a built in DVD player so it will be for plane travel. I actually need to go to Cosco so I will look while there. Thanks!

Lady, that would solve a HUGE problem. I figure if the flight is 2 hours min...she might want to watch something while waiting to board or if we have a lay-over. Distraction seems to be a parent''s best friend. I will look into that. Thank you!

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Hi Tacori E-ring,

amazon & target carry those portable dvd for kids. here's the link : http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Tough-Portable-Player-Pink/dp/B0015KSRFE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1223075140&sr=8-8 & http://www.target.com/gp/search/602-5694488-6514251?field-keywords=kids_portable_dvd&AFID=Google&CPNG=Furniture&LNM=kids_portable_dvd&LID=9325040&ref=tgt_adv_XSGT0703

how old is your beautiful daughter? Mine loves the kid's laptop, it kept her occupied on the plane ride which lasted for 7 hours. I bought it to keep in hope to keep her occupied for another longer- 17hours.

Hope the above helps.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! She is almost a year so gentle she is not. But she loves Noggin so I know she would be into one.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 9:13:15 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Thanks! She is almost a year so gentle she is not. But she loves Noggin so I know she would be into one.
Mine turned 1 3 1/2 wks ago, don''t they sure grow like weeds.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 9:54:17 PM
Author: hibiscus

Yes, it makes me want to cry (out of sadness and happiness). The first 6 months went SOOO slowly (of course she wasn''t sleeping through the night yet) then the next 6 months went SOOO quickly! But she is a lot of fun.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 10:03:52 PM

Date: 10/3/2008 9:54:17 PM
Author: hibiscus

Yes, it makes me want to cry (out of sadness and happiness). The first 6 months went SOOO slowly (of course she wasn''t sleeping through the night yet) then the next 6 months went SOOO quickly! But she is a lot of fun.

i''m reigning with typo in almost all my replies today. i didn''t get any sleep.. waking up every hour from 10pm to 5.30am is hardly sleep to me. I think I get more cranky than her during the day due to lack of sleep for week after week. It got better these last 5 days. She use to sleep in her crib in our bedroom but I bought a toddler bed recently and tried to put her to bed at 8 and been sleeping in the same room with her the first 2 days. It helps. She slept from 8pm to 7am. Waking up only once or twice for milk/water. Maybe our bedroom has too much distraction with light from the backyard and all.
You might want to try something different.

My girl only naps once or twice between 10min to a rare 1 hour. I feel so much better having some sleep these last few days in a long time. Let me know what you plan to do and if it works out.

I would love to see how she grows up but sad just like you that she''s growing ever so fast. That baby smell, those little toes, the almost everyday development- learning new things. I love that :)

Enjoy your darling daughter.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow she is in a toddler bed already? I figured I would keep her in her crib until 2-3. Our daughter slept in our room for 4 months. Then we move her into her nursery which was so much better. She started sleeping through the night at 6 months (7-7 or there abouts). I am lucky. She used to always take two 2 hour naps but sometimes she just takes one 2.5-3 hour nap. Could you try not to give your daughter something to drink in the middle of the night? I am thinking that is more out of habit or comfort than need. Lack of sleep is so hard. I remember! I hope she starts sleeping so you can too! You should join us on the mommy thread on the Family & Home board.

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
tacori did you decide which player you are going to get? i am looking to ge one for B as well just so he stops ruining ours. i think, from what i know, he''s already broken 2 of our players. so i am thinking that it''s time he has his own, hopefully a durable one. we will really need it for the plane ride to hawaii. if you do get one, will you let me know how you and T like it.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 10:59:25 PM
Wow she is in a toddler bed already? I figured I would keep her in her crib until 2-3. Our daughter slept in our room for 4 months. Then we move her into her nursery which was so much better. She started sleeping through the night at 6 months (7-7 or there abouts). I am lucky. She used to always take two 2 hour naps but sometimes she just takes one 2.5-3 hour nap. Could you try not to give your daughter something to drink in the middle of the night? I am thinking that is more out of habit or comfort than need. Lack of sleep is so hard. I remember! I hope she starts sleeping so you can too! You should join us on the mommy thread on the Family & Home board.
Thanks Tacori E-ring. I feel so much better this week that she sleep longer and waking up less than usual. That will be difficult to not give her anything to drink but I''ll try. Yep, she''s in a toddler bed and its relatively low that she can climb down. She started walking a few days after turning one. She kept wanting to get out of the crib everytime I put her in. So, the toddler bed really helps.

35.gif

ps. i just bought a doodle pro from fisher price, she loves it.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Hi tacori,

I bought one for my DD too for the flight back to Australia. You can get small (4in*4in*2in) reserve batteries that last another 4 hours. Not all airplanes have the power available. Other tips to conserve battery power is to turn the contrast and brightness down. We got a Phillips DCP 850/37 that you can put the video Ipod into so you don't have to cart tons of dvd's with you. (Handbrake is your friend there for getting your dvd's onto the ipod).

It has lasted very well (4 trips back to Oz plus countless car trips) and now my DD (3.5years) just holds the Ipod herself to watch movies. Sigh.... they grow up so fast.

p.s. I bought a Magnavox before the Phillips and it lasted all of half a trip back to Oz.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results