shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a loose Morganite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello:

Now that my tourmaline is set; and am on to another project--looking for a nice loose, pink (or perhpas salmon colored?) Morganite. I have searched a few sites, but nothing comes to my immediate attention. Any suggestions where the best stashes are? And what might I be looking to spend on a 3-4 carat oval, cushion or round stone? BTW, did anyone buy or see any of these stones in Tuscon recently?

cheers--Sharon

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sharon,

There doesn''t seem to be much out there at the moment but here''s a copy of the liust that coloured gemstone nut complied for coloured gem sites. also although they are a bit bigger than you wanted check out these at AJS gems http://www.ajsgems.com/BMO/BMO.htm

coloured gem stone nut excellent list.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2005 28:35 PM
Author:canuk-gal

Now that my tourmaline is set; and am on to another project--looking for a nice loose, pink (or perhpas salmon colored?) Morganite.
Tucson is on another continent
2.gif
Some unusually saturated Kunzite came up afterwards, but I have no idea about pink beryl.

By reputation, the color of Kunzite is not perfectly stable - it tends to fade under exposure to light. However, this tricky property is accounted for and the stones are brighter, cleaner and larger for much better price than Morganite Beryl. If the piece is not for every day, it might be just the thing. AJS gems has representative pieces of either kind last time I checked, but there might not be any fancy cut there (aside nice, correctly executed ovals and pears).

One Kunzite at Multicolor beats the cut odds, IMO. Interesting ?
b_yku107ad.jpg

Pink Beryl is quite light - comparable to "commercial" aquamarine or just bit better. Like this one:
M-3619B.jpg

(7 carat fancy concave cut, AcStones) ... sorry for the triangular shapes, it just happened this way.

Would this be the right color ?
b_ymg166aa.jpg

If more saturated pick exists it would be in huge stones (20 carats and more - say) or really rare (I don't know of any). As far as I know, 4-5 carats will be "barely-there-pink" at best and quite inexpensive.

On the other hand... if "salmon" is ok, perhaps topaz will fit the bill better than Beryl. It can't hurt that's harder and brighter too. How about this one below (from Gemline). It is pinkish champagne... but I had to show off that cut. What if they could do it in light pink too ?!
9.gif

40Topaz.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks ya''ll for the tips--and I''ll keep looking. I do not mind going up in size--as I understand what you are saying about color saturation Ana--and my hand could easily manage a stone 10-15 carats..... Whatever the case--this stone will be more affordable than the spectacular "Imperial" Topaz I saw on the weekend--15 or so carats and $28,000 Canadian. It was breath taking (literally and figuratively).....

Now where is that diictionary......
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results