shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a jeweler that can do a good custom job and has access to lab European or Mine Cut diamonds.

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Hi, so some of you may have seen me over in another thread, crashing and burning fast. Long story short, I'm probably getting scammed and going to need to pull out. The rose colors glasses have been pried off with a crowbar by Price Scope members that know way more than I do. Going ahead and slicing myself off a piece of humble pie. I'll be eating the rest of it over in the other thread. Anyways, I love this ring. Love it. It is the ring, but I can't afford it. It is a $15,000 plus ring and my budget is more like 5K-6K range. I love European Cut or Mine cut diamonds and I am obviously cool with them being lab diamonds, because that's what I can afford and I heard they are ethical to boot. This is the ring I love, https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/marielle
Everything about is perfect. I love the vintage vibe, but it's still elegant and not clunky.
One could look at this ring and say it is similar, but I really don't like the setting. personal preference, no slight to the jeweler. https://www.etsy.com/listing/111519...allery-1-6&pro=1&frs=1&organic_search_click=1
I'm hoping to achieve a total carat of ~3ct. I know that's a tall order at my budget, and it may not be realistic, but if it is possible, does anyone know of a jeweler that could make me something similar?

Thank you

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Hi, so some of you may have seen me over in another thread, crashing and burning fast. Long story short, I'm probably getting scammed and going to need to pull out. The rose colors glasses have been pried off with a crowbar by Price Scope members that know way more than I do. Going ahead and slicing myself off a piece of humble pie. I'll be eating the rest of it over in the other thread. Anyways, I love this ring. Love it. It is the ring, but I can't afford it. It is a $15,000 plus ring and my budget is more like 5K-6K range. I love European Cut or Mine cut diamonds and I am obviously cool with them being lab diamonds, because that's what I can afford and I heard they are ethical to boot. This is the ring I love, https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/marielle
Everything about is perfect. I love the vintage vibe, but it's still elegant and not clunky.
One could look at this ring and say it is similar, but I really don't like the setting. personal preference, no slight to the jeweler. https://www.etsy.com/listing/111519...allery-1-6&pro=1&frs=1&organic_search_click=1
I'm hoping to achieve a total carat of ~3ct. I know that's a tall order at my budget, and it may not be realistic, but if it is possible, does anyone know of a jeweler that could make me something similar?

Thank you

I can’t think of anyone who can provide high quality lab old cuts at 3 ctw, plus a high quality setting, for 5k-6k. You could probably get a 1.5 ct center stone and 0.75 side stones plus a cheap setting from Ouros. His diamonds are nice. The settings are fair for the price but might not be the quality you want. Also he does not have a reputation for understanding design alteration requests.

You might be able to get 0.75 - 1.5 - 0.75 from Ouros and have them shipped to a local jeweler who could finish the project right around $6k. You would have to judge the quality of your local jeweler.

DG diamonds are great but you would have trouble getting 3 ctw with any money left over for a custom setting. If you are open to a very basic 3-stone Stuller setting you might be able to work something out somewhere near your price point. Doesn’t hurt to ask. If the answer is no they will tell you so in a friendly way, at least.

If you want a quality custom setting, I recommend that you contact a jewelry designer (not a diamond dealer), give them your budget and ring design, and ask them what kind of old cut LG diamonds they can source for you for the total price. Even if they don’t openly advertise that they offer LGD, it seems lots of these designers do if you ask. They might give you a bit of a deal for committing to get the stones and the setting together from them, in the sense that they would fit as much diamond weight as possible into your budget, although maybe not 3ctw.

Source: I have two rings from Ouros. Both diamonds great, one setting good, one setting meh. Four rings from DG, all diamonds great, one Stuller setting and one custom setting are perfect, two custom settings had minor flaws.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Rhino has a new OMC out.
He also does his own settings and also the actual designer ones for purchase as well.
Even better, the setting you love is a classic antique crown mount. Any decent jeweler can mock that up for you :bigsmile:
Not exactly what you're looking for but...

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would caution against Ouros because if there are any issues then returns or fixes are complicated given that the vendor is in India.

zaeaton

Rough_Rock
Who is DG?

I don’t know where you are located but Cultured Brilliance in Atlanta did a custom setting for me (1700 platinum) for a much better price than I got quoted from all the online vendors (about 3k) and he has been good to work with (and I’m picky ‍). He also worked to source a good stone for me (though I do think I paid a little more for the stone than I would have on B2C but less than on James Allen).

I really want to buy some light box stones to make studs, but haven’t found an affordable online vendor to set them (quotes around $800 which seems too high for me for a basic basket setting).

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry that you are having to start from scratch but I think ultimately you’ll be much happier in the long run not having this vendor attached to your engagement ring.

Here are some more examples of various three stone setting that I think you are looking for drawn to. As you can see, there are some variations but you can probably find what you are looking for. I think you do need to narrow down the proportions of the center stone to the side stones though. You said you want 3ctw. Does that mean you want a 2 ct center with .5ct each on the sides? Or 2.5 center with .25 on the sides? Or 1.5 center with .75 on the sides? These proportions will make a big difference in the whole look of the three stone and also come into play with budget since a 1.5 center will be more affordable than 2.5 center.
63DB0B36-D2A2-4BAB-9376-50892E973D6A.jpeg

Even VB’s Marielle comes in different forms, proportions and prong numbers depending on the size/height of the individual stones.
CD216657-575D-483E-8549-C11175201784.jpeg

Also what color and clarity are you aiming for?

Lastly, out of your 5-6k budget, how much of that is for the stones and how much is for the setting?

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I would recommend reaching out to both CvB and Sako and explaining your project, showing your inspiration, and seeing what they come back with. In general even with new vendors I tend to also just state my max budget up front, but other people prefer to not be quite so blunt. With these vendors that we’re recommending - they aren’t going to price gouge you behind the scenes, no worries there. Sako can mimic the spirit of vintage and antique pieces perfectly - those little inconsistencies and asymmetries that gives older workmanship its charm, like in the Victor Barbone ring you like, Sako can reproduce that effect. Caysie’s work is different - it’s inspired by an older sense of style but the execution itself is always with modern precision. I’ll be very honest, I’d put CvB and Sako on a higher tier of workmanship than I&R and OWD, but *not* by a significant margin by any means - whichever vendor has the stones + mount package that you need is the right vendor for your project.

Caysie definitely sources labs. I’m not sure if Sako, I&R, and OWD do, or if they’ll work with your own stones. Definitely worth asking!

I wanted to echo what @yssie said in the other thread about CVB and mention that I am currently working on a three stone ring project with CVB and she has a design that is very similar to the VB’s Marielle. I am getting a similar version of it.

It’s this one:

She also has the Maria:

The two settings are similary priced and she can source mined as well as lab diamonds so I would definitely reach out and see what she can do for you within your budget.

As for Sako, he did this 3 stone and he has access to mined old cut diamonds in an array of colors and sizes so if you wanted go the mined route, I would reach out to him as well.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I would consider buying a ready antique three stone (possibly with a colored center stone) for ~2k and using the side diamonds and the mount and only replacing the center stone for ~3-4k. I have a couple contenders if you're interested in going that route.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I would consider buying a ready antique three stone (possibly with a colored center stone) for ~2k and using the side diamonds and the mount and only replacing the center stone for ~3-4k. I have a couple contenders if you're interested in going that route.

This is a good suggestion if you wanted to go with mined old cut stones and setting.

Or perhaps the complete opposite of you wanted go lab. Finding a center lab stone you like, maybe something like this:

Then reaching out to Caysie for the setting you like in 14k gold and ask her to source matching lab side stones. I think that would come within your budget as well.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Distinctive gems is definitely going to be over budget which is why I didn’t recommend them in your other thread, @Daimond-Friend .

I gave you a list of recommendations, many of which are being echoed here. I’d start there, and send a few inquiries, otherwise I worry you’re going to get overwhelmed with a bit of a wild goose chase.

It also depends on how much effort you want to put into the hunt - many of us here enjoy “the thrill of the chase” but that’s a specific type of shopping and takes a ton of time and research. Many of us are too persnickety for our own good so it’s a better fit for us than it is the typical shopper! Lol.

Since you know roughly what you want and you’ve got a strong list of vendors to start contacting, reach out to some vendors and see what they can do for you!

If none of that works out, we can likely help you assemble something with existing antiques or vendors like Ouros to help you get as close to your vision as possible.

That’s my recommendation, anyhow. Feel free to ignore ;-)

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Try Alex Park at ParksFineGroupInc on instagram. He's doing lab OECs.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if I’ll be helpful or not, but I’ve had 3 settings made by Vijay at Ouros. In my experience, the language barrier does pose problems. I would not use him for an important custom piece, with some caveats: if you had photos of a setting from all angles and you want no changes made, perhaps that would be a safe bet, or if you were choosing one of his pre-made settings with minor tweaks. I have done all 3 - a setting that was one he was advertising, but with different shape stones, a setting that was a clone of a more popular, iconic setting (of which I provided him multiple images to copy), and a custom setting. The custom setting was awful, I’m sorry to say. The other two weren’t half bad, but I gave him a lot of photos to work with for one, and the other was his.

I may be backward, but if I were you I’d source the stones first. And then hunt around for a local or online jeweler who could make the setting.

I don’t know if you’ll be be able to get all you want with the budget you’ve got, but it may be possible, especially if you can source the diamonds at a good price.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I had to take a hiatus due to some personal things that came up (although I was browsing and following along here and there) but so glad you got your refund @Daimond-Friend ! I had a terrible feeling about it all and even though it must have been discouraging to start back to square one it definitely was the right thing to do.

Almost all the members on this forum are amazing and are more than willing to share all their knowledge and experience--and even find THE ONE for you. I was able to get my first e-ring from here eight years ago as a loose stone that was found for me by a PS-er. I knew there was no way I would ever make a future purchase without leaning on the expertise of those here which is why I am back here.

I chose to comment on this thread versus the other since the other thread mainly was for reviews about the vendor.

I thought it was interesting that my current ideal ring is also the VB Marielle and what I am working to achieve. We were likely drawn to the other shady vendor because we like a similar aesthetic? I've been searching for about 8-9 months now and am also on a budget--max of 10K, prefer around 6-8K...may go higher if it's THE ONE and there is financing. Due to being in this search for many months (browsing almost daily), my advice to you since it seems you may be more on a time crunch than me is that if you don't have a preference for OMC versus OEC, is to go for lab OEC all the way to get more bang for your buck. I've seen many beautiful and affordable lab OECs from multiple lab vendors and in various sizes.

As for OMCs, if you're picky like me about a certain type of faceting, and you are on a time crunch, I have yet to see a lab vendor offer anything close to what I am looking for. I have another thread on here laying out all my woes. TBH, I've decided that if I don't see a lab vendor produce the type of OMC faceting that I am looking for, I will give up and reduce my ct size/mm size for my center diamond due to budget and pursue earth-mined.

Hope this helps and I hope you've had a few good leads on legit vendors who can help you with what you need :)

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to echo what @yssie said in the other thread about CVB and mention that I am currently working on a three stone ring project with CVB and she has a design that is very similar to the VB’s Marielle. I am getting a similar version of it.

It’s this one:

She also has the Maria:

The two settings are similary priced and she can source mined as well as lab diamonds so I would definitely reach out and see what she can do for you within your budget.

As for Sako, he did this 3 stone and he has access to mined old cut diamonds in an array of colors and sizes so if you wanted go the mined route, I would reach out to him as well.

@Muluver you never mentioned your current project in my other thread! Do you have a thread on it? OMCS? Dying to see your stones since "you get me". I know it's going to be so perfect and I will be drooling over it. Please share when you are ready if you haven't already! Sorry I just slammed you with 50 questions :D

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
@Muluver you never mentioned your current project in my other thread! Do you have a thread on it? OMCS? Dying to see your stones since "you get me". I know it's going to be so perfect and I will be drooling over it. Please share when you are ready if you haven't already! Sorry I just slammed you with 50 questions :D

I don’t have a thread on it yet. It’s a bit of an involved project with several moving parts so it may be a WHILE before it’s completed. I’m just hoping it’ll be done by the holidays LOL. This one does involve a OMC as the center! I will definitely be doing a thread on it once it’s completed. I just don’t want to start one since realistically, it will be months before the whole project is completed and I’m trying to be patient about it lol

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have a thread on it yet. It’s a bit of an involved project with several moving parts so it may be a WHILE before it’s completed. I’m just hoping it’ll be done by the holidays LOL. This one does involve a OMC as the center! I will definitely be doing a thread on it once it’s completed. I just don’t want to start one since realistically, it will be months before the whole project is completed and I’m trying to be patient about it lol

I feel yah. I think at my current pace I hope to have my ring by 2024 hah!… which actually would be fitting since it would be my ten year. I’ll patiently wait for you to post when it all comes together, I know it’s going to be amazing!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I feel yah. I think at my current pace I hope to have my ring by 2024 hah!… which actually would be fitting since it would be my ten year. I’ll patiently wait for you to post when it all comes together, I know it’s going to be amazing!

2024 is our 10 year too!! Thank you so much! I’m looking forward to it and keeping my fingers crossed that it all comes together like it is in my head LOL

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I took a little break from checking my post. I just acquired a farm back in May, and all I can say is I haven't had a weekend since, lol, but it's been a joy and it's coming along. The ring project is going really really well so far. I reached out to Old World Diamonds, because they came recommended in the other thread. I also liked a lot of their diamond inventory and was happy to see that I could go with natural diamonds after all, and have true vintage diamonds, which is super cool. I was able to find a beautiful center diamond about 1.13 ct and two sides 1.15ctw, which is a great ratio. In the process I learned that carats are not the only thing that contributes to a diamonds visual size :). since I have tiny fingers (size 4.5) It will look plenty sizable, and they have the exact setting I want. The ring itself should be going into production by mid next week, when their in-house jeweler gets back from vacation. Luckily, I am not on a time crunch, (the engagement will likely be in late Summer), and all though it was daunting to start back at square one, I got tremendous help from all of you and I was able to turn around and find someone wonderful and legitimate to help me almost instantly. So much gratitude <3 Price Scope has been a tremendous resource, and I hope I can contribute to it down the road as well.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow this is going to be incredible! May I ask what colour the stones are?

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Yay! They finished it today and I got a video of the ring. How do I upload a video on PS? Does it need to be a certain format?

Edit: They made an IG post of it so that helps me out :D

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Yay! They finished it today and I got a video of the ring. How do I upload a video on PS? Does it need to be a certain format?

You can use youtube, imgr or vimeo etc. and then post a link in a comment.
I want to see!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Edit: They made an IG post of it so that helps me out :D

omg it's PERFECT! Absolutely stunning, I am so jealous! congrats!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
It’s BEAUTIFUL!! I’m so happy for you that this all worked out! Since these are mined stones, please post a lot of pics in the SMTB forum when you get it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results