shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a garnet engagement ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
My BF just asked me to help him pick out an e-right for her girlfriend
9.gif
I''m so excited and thrilled for them and I''m eagered to help!

A little about her:
She loves the deep dark red of garnets and she isn''t by any means a "blingy" girl. She''s very retro, and has like a 60''s vibe/style to her.

While out thrift shopping about a month ago, they ran across a vintage ring that she loves and it was around $600 (his price range). So he went back to purchase said ring and it turns out that it''s not a garnet, but a synthetic ruby.
38.gif
Not worth it! It''s setting was 14K yellow gold.

Can you help me find something red and in 14K yellow or white gold for around $600?

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
Garnets are lovely, and most are untreated, an extra bonus.

I just bought my mother, who is recovering from emergency surgery, a 2.70ct oval Garnet and a 14K yellow gold scroll pendant casting. Its been set right now I can''t wait to post pics.

Sorry for highjacking your thread, just got excited at the mention of Garnet!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Ann McKay has some lovely garnet rings.

This one is labeled as a man''s ring but it doesn''t look at all masculine to me:
1204a.jpg

And another

1209a.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kismet, i'm with you: i'd wear that ring!

movie zombie

eta: check out some of richard homer's concave cut garnets at www.concavegems.com

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Update: I talked to my BF last night. He said the setting was from the early 1900''s and that''s what makes THIS ring so special to his GF. His GF wants a true vintage ring, not a new ring or a replica.

So I told him that if his GF loves the ring so much, then that''s the one she should have - and maybe she could a get the stone replaced with garnet.
2.gif

However, if any of you know of any vintage garnet rings, send links my way!

THANKS!

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a link to a pretty garnet from Vera Wang. I can''t remember where I got this hand pic.

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Search/JewelrySearchDetails.asp?sSKU=99264

vera garnet.jpg

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the links, Kismet! I sent that info. off to my friend so he can get an idea of what he can get for the price - and maybe there is a ring that catches his eye
emwink.gif

Oh, la, la, Shineythings - that ring is beau-ti-ful!
emlove.gif

Keep em coming!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
If he''s buying a vintage garnet, it may well need a repolish as they are not as hard as sapphires or diamonds, she''ll also need to be careful with it. Personally I''d buy a new stone - there is a huge difference between well cut and commercial cut. It''s also worth remembering that good stones aren''t cheap.

I''m getting a tsavorite garnet e-ring, but I''m well aware that it needs tlc and an''t be worn 24/7 and may need repolishing in the future. I''ve had friend''s say - oh why not just buy another, it''s only garnet; as if it costs $10 a stone. You can easily spend pretty much the cost of a decent diamond or more for a good coloured stone, and a top quality ruby will be considerably more.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2007 1:52:53 PM
Author: Pandora II
If he''s buying a vintage garnet, it may well need a repolish as they are not as hard as sapphires or diamonds, she''ll also need to be careful with it. Personally I''d buy a new stone - there is a huge difference between well cut and commercial cut. It''s also worth remembering that good stones aren''t cheap.

I''m getting a tsavorite garnet e-ring, but I''m well aware that it needs tlc and an''t be worn 24/7 and may need repolishing in the future. I''ve had friend''s say - oh why not just buy another, it''s only garnet; as if it costs $10 a stone. You can easily spend pretty much the cost of a decent diamond or more for a good coloured stone, and a top quality ruby will be considerably more.
That''s why I really really feel the need to educate myself before buying a colored stone. Cause I don''t want to get stuck with a poorly cut stone that I paid too much for. And a quality stone and cut will cost.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 1:52:53 PM
Author: Pandora II

yes, we spent more on my spessartite garnet than many [even here at priceescope] do on a diamond.....but then it is a world class spess. then there was the $$$$ for creating a setting for it.........

i too would get a new stone: there is red garnet and then there is red garnet. there is only so much repolishing a stone can do....if the stone wasn''t world class in the first place and been hard worn, the stone may actually need to be refaceted anyway.

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results