shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a diamond...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oneforship

Rough_Rock
So I just discovered this site today (so happy that I did), and I thought I would post and hopefully get some suggestions from the people here. I am planning on buying an engagement ring in the upcoming months (I haven''t decided on a timetable exactly yet, a lot depends on how much time it takes me to accrue the funds!). I have been looking online for quite some time now, mostly at Bluenile because it was the only vendor I was confident in. My knowledge of diamonds is quite limited, but I know I want to find something in a range of .5-1 carats. I''d like to keep the total budget around $3K or less, and I know it''s possible judging by some of the other threads I''ve read through.

I''m just hoping for some other suggestions and maybe I''ll see something I''ve missed?

Parameters:
Cut: Princess
Carat: .5-1
Color: flexible
Clarity: flexible

And looking for a yellow gold ring, my GF loves yellow gold, and has expressed favoritism for yellow gold e-rings.

Thanks for any help!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!

You might consider something like this for $2620 wire priced, and add one of their simple rings.

Read about AGS certification, with AGS0, and consider seeking that out from whichever vendor, Blue Nile included (even though they have been incapable of including their appropriate ranking for cut).

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Has the GF expressed a preference for setting styles? Solitaire, three-stone, pave, etc. Wide or narrow band?

That will make a big difference in the cost of the setting vs. stone

There are some great people here for finding settings and stones if you can give a little better idea of what you are looking for. You will also find that there are vendors that can and will take a more personal interest in finding what YOU want than Blue Nile. Many of them will also have a much better selection of settings and more information to judge stones. As RG pointed out, Whiteflash seems to be a great source for quality princess cuts. You might also look at High Performance Diamonds.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Here is another option leaving a little more for the setting. You can get a simple yellow gold tiffany setting from WF for under $300.

Stone from GOG

Setting from WF

GOG has yellow gold settings, too. I just couldn't find the price. It makes it easier if you can find a setting from the vendor who supplies the stone. It's not always possible but since you are looking for a classic setting it should be easy enough.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely take a look at Ira and Swing''s selections. I also love YG!

oneforship

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 1:33:16 AM
Author: jet2ks
Has the GF expressed a preference for setting styles? Solitaire, three-stone, pave, etc. Wide or narrow band?

That will make a big difference in the cost of the setting vs. stone

There are some great people here for finding settings and stones if you can give a little better idea of what you are looking for. You will also find that there are vendors that can and will take a more personal interest in finding what YOU want than Blue Nile. Many of them will also have a much better selection of settings and more information to judge stones. As RG pointed out, Whiteflash seems to be a great source for quality princess cuts. You might also look at High Performance Diamonds.

Hasn't expressed any kind of preference, but has liked some of all three. Rings are her favorite jewelry, so she likes all kinds. So I'm keeping my mind open and if anything jumps out at me from any style, I'm not going to rule it out. Narrow band is a preference however.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but when I've talked to her about rings she keeps showing me ones saying "Oh, I like this one too," and there is never any pattern of what style they are.

Personally, I really like the way many of the pave settings look.

oneforship

Rough_Rock
What does everyone/anyone think about one kind of like this one?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 9:18:50 AM
Author: oneforship
Classic setting, personally I prefer non channel set diamonds but thats me.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 9:20:32 AM
Author: Lorelei

I agree. I prefer something like this, but again, it''s personal!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 9:56:52 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/22/2009 9:20:32 AM

I agree. I prefer something like this, but again, it''s personal!
Thats a good one El ! one4ship, it is a personal decision but gives you some more options.

oneforship

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 9:56:52 AM
Author: Ellen
I agree. I prefer something like this, but again, it's personal!

I like that one a lot too! I missed that one the first time through, although I didn't take too much time to peruse that site yet.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 10:47:28 AM
More ideas...

Sidestones

French Pave

Eternity

James Allen seems to have the most options (that I have liked) for settings than many of the other sites.
I like the first and the third ones.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
More ideas...

Sidestones

French Pave

Eternity

James Allen seems to have the most options (that I have liked) for settings than many of the other sites.
I didn't see this style, I really like that! Of the two FP style, I'd go with this one, as it would be much easier for sizing vs. the eternity. (but some don't like the fact that if the ring spins, you see plain metal. maybe you could get 3/4?)

oneforship

Rough_Rock
Back to the diamond...this is where my lack of knowledge comes into play.

Here is one that I have found, can some one maybe explain to me a little bit what is good/bad about it? I''ve done all the requisite reading about the 4cs, etc., but I find it helpful to hear it explained from the consumer as opposed to the seller.

I''m attaching the image of the GIA report.

16450710.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 12:07:42 PM
Back to the diamond...this is where my lack of knowledge comes into play.

Here is one that I have found, can some one maybe explain to me a little bit what is good/bad about it? I've done all the requisite reading about the 4cs, etc., but I find it helpful to hear it explained from the consumer as opposed to the seller.

I'm attaching the image of the GIA report.
Regrettably we can't tell much without images. If it is from James Allen, request an Idealscope image and detailed photos of the diamond. You could also lower the clarity to VS without visual sacrifice unless you prefer VVS.

Just found the link, the diamond looks promising, ask for an Idealscope image which JA should be able to provide in a day or so.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good from the image, but would like to see an IS.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree on lowering clarity if you don''t mind, it will help you get a bigger stone. Many are easily eyeclean down to SI1. And ditto to the IS.

oneforship

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 12:16:47 PM
Author: Stone-cold11

I''ve requested an Idealscope, and will post it when I receive it.

Lorelei: I don''t have any particular preference to VVS as opposed to VS, I just want to be sure there are no visible inclusions to the naked eye. And I really don''t care what it''s grades are as long as it looks great! But since I don''t have much experience, I''m not sure exactly where I can lower standards and where I need to keep them strict so as to ensure a great looking diamond.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 12:41:22 PM

Date: 2/22/2009 12:16:47 PM
Author: Stone-cold11

I''ve requested an Idealscope, and will post it when I receive it.

Lorelei: I don''t have any particular preference to VVS as opposed to VS, I just want to be sure there are no visible inclusions to the naked eye. And I really don''t care what it''s grades are as long as it looks great! But since I don''t have much experience, I''m not sure exactly where I can lower standards and where I need to keep them strict so as to ensure a great looking diamond.
No worries. It is cut quality which will get you a pretty diamond, so that is most important. Clarity, you can find even some SI clarities can be eyeclean, as long as you are working with a trusted vendor who has the diamond in hand to advise you. Colour, G or H is a good range to aim for, some go a bit lower to I or J colour ( GIA or AGS graded) to maximise the budget.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 12:46:14 PM

No worries. It is cut quality which will get you a pretty diamond, so that is most important. Clarity, you can find even some SI clarities can be eyeclean, as long as you are working with a trusted vendor who has the diamond in hand to advise you. Colour, G or H is a good range to aim for, some go a bit lower to I or J colour ( GIA or AGS graded) to maximise the budget.
Absolutely! You can have a D IF, but if it''s cut crappy, it''s going to look crappy.
28.gif

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I actually prefer this one (they are all pretty though!)
I''m not a big fan of channel set myself, but this isn''t channel set
I think the clean lines show off all of the diamonds best
Its all a matter of personal preference, of course!
(lovin'' the yellow gold!)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 11:12:22 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Read about AGS certification, with AGS0, and consider seeking that out from whichever vendor, Blue Nile included (even though they have been incapable of including their appropriate ranking for cut).
There''s lots of reasons to like JA (I bought there), rings included, but they may not have any AGS certified options, and without that grading certificate, which is based on having a promising reflector image to begin with, you may need more diligence in finding the right one.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More ideas...

Sidestones

French Pave

Eternity

I prefer the French Pave. As far as the eternity...these are hard (or is it impossible?) to resize because of the pave going all the way around.
Sometimes our fingers change size due to having babies, moving to a hot place, losing weight and various other reasons. If you get one
that looks like an eternity but only goes 3/4 way around then its easier to have resized. Just my 2 cents.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
For settings, you might also take a look at this one

Whiteflash also has some great ACA Princess stones. Someone with more diamond knowledge than me could probably recommend one.

oneforship

Rough_Rock
Here is a WhiteFlash ACA diamond, with a link to the Idealscope

What are some thoughts on that one? And how would I go about getting a diamond from WhiteFlash, and a setting from James Allen (if I wanted to do something like that)?

It is a .738 carat, VS2, J color diamond.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 5:14:16 PM
Author: tyty333

More ideas...

Sidestones

French Pave

Eternity

I prefer the French Pave. As far as the eternity...these are hard (or is it impossible?) to resize because of the pave going all the way around.

Sometimes our fingers change size due to having babies, moving to a hot place, losing weight and various other reasons. If you get one

that looks like an eternity but only goes 3/4 way around then its easier to have resized. Just my 2 cents.

Ditto.

oneforship

Rough_Rock
To my completely untrained eye...am I right in thinking this one is a better quality? Based on the ASET it seems to be more symmetrical.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 7:42:29 PM
To my completely untrained eye...am I right in thinking this one is a better quality? Based on the ASET it seems to be more symmetrical.
This is a lovely diamond!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 7:42:29 PM
Either one of the WF stones would be great, there''s no real difference.

If you wanted to go with one of the WF stones, you would talk to WF and ask them if they will set it in the JA setting. (I''m pretty sure they will, but you need to ask) Then JA would send the setting there. You want WF to set the stone, as they will take responsibility in the unlikely even the diamond chipped while being set (rare).
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results