shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a diamond under 4k

Aulonocara

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

Been lurking here for a while, first time posting.

I am looking for a loose diamond for an engagement ring. My budget for the diamond is $3500-$4000.

Priorities for the diamond are:

1. Carat = Cut
2. Clarity (anything eye-clean from 6in face-up is fine by me!)
3. Color

I have been hoping to get close to 1ct, but I don't have an issue being in the >0.90ct range in order to save on the premium charged for a "1 Carat Diamond :cheeky: "

I recently stumbled across this diamond:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-2441992...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

What do you think? It passes the HCA test with flying colors. Inclusions shown on the GIA report seem to be small enough that it could still be eye clean (I will verify by phone). Are there any red flags that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

[EDIT] Forgot to mention that it must be Round.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crown angle, depth is on the shallow side, cut more for brilliance and better spread at the expense of fire performance, when compared to more balanced proportion of a tolkowsky ideal cut. Some like it, some don't.

Another thing to note is that it's pavilion angle is also on the shallow side, might have some obstruction issue depending on the averaging and rounding, need an idealscope image to make the call there.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

Aulonocara

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help on assessing that last diamond. I ended up passing on it due to the cut quality issues presented.

I would like to not go lower than a J-color.

That being said, anyone want to help me critique the cut of this RB?

http://www.b2cjewels.com/Certificate.aspx?StockNo=2458636

I will have to confirm that it is eye-clean to my standards.

Thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
About the same as the previous stone.

Aulonocara

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11 said:
About the same as the previous stone.

Really?

I guess I don't understand the HCA and AGA/NAJA cut tools on this site then.

I input the data and received an HCA of 1.0, Excellent across the board. AGA cut grade was 1B, which I interpreted as quite a ways above average. Am I missing something here? :sick:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone's comments are not actually a critique unless you are a uber cut nut ;)) Both of the stones you presented are worth further consideration, like photos or seeing them in person.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your budget isn't realistic for what you want.

Here are you options:

A diamond without ideal or even excellent cutting. There is a reason some diamonds are graded Very Good for cut... they have some issues.

An 80 point diamond with ideal light return and an upgrade policy so that you can get to 90 points or 1 carat eventually.

Low (like N-M) color.

Low (like I1) clarity.

Something's got to give. I even looked on EBAY for you. Nothing.

If it were me, I'd go with an 80 point ideal cut diamond in a cheap white gold setting and upgrade as I can.

Let us know where you would like to compromise and we can help you.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Are you set on a round brilliant? Because if you are open to other shapes -- pear or oval, for example -- you may be able to get a larger carat weight for your budget, since round brilliants tend to be more expensive than other shapes. Other shapes are a little more difficult to buy, though, simply because not all stores carry them, and also because their cut quality is assessed in a different way.

Also, have you looked at diamonds in your local stores and compared GIA Excellent or AGS 0 cut stones to GIA VG cut stones? If so, could you see the difference in sparkle/fire? And if so, did the difference bother you? It's often been said here that a well-cut smaller stone will stand out more than a larger, less well-cut stone, because it's the sparkle people notice.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah! Especially if Brian thinks he could do something to optimize the performance (his recuts are really affordable!)

Aulonocara

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help and the ideas, I will look into these further!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mrs W|1315528907|3013117 said:

I agree.
If you want to stick to .89+ I color this one is worth asking for an ASET image for.
The diamonds that get gia VG because of painting/digging can be excellent values if not over painted/dug.

While I feel that painting is a valid downgrade many in the trade and out disagree and feel GIA is overly harsh.

The scintillation would be a bit watery rather than on and off but a 35 degree crown can handle a lot of painting without becoming dead looking.

edit: if you get images for this one start a new thread titled "is this over painted" and me and or Garry will take a look.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aulonocara|1315514823|3012958 said:
Thanks for the help on assessing that last diamond. I ended up passing on it due to the cut quality issues presented.

I would like to not go lower than a J-color.

That being said, anyone want to help me critique the cut of this RB?

http://www.b2cjewels.com/Certificate.aspx?StockNo=2458636

I will have to confirm that it is eye-clean to my standards.

Thanks!

This is one of those diamonds that need extreme caution.
There is potential issues hiding in the GIA rounding of the angles.
I would only consider it from a trusted expert vendor who understands obstruction issues..

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1315547297|3013371 said:
Narwhal|1315546520|3013358 said:
May not work due to the lack of cert, but might be worth looking at for the price.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/rings/207PO1/0/
Nice pick... that could be sent to Brian Gavin to optimize light return (maybe) and then sent in for certification.
Being an si2 there is a good chance the inclusion will be in the way of a re-cut.
I would not chance it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results