shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for a brilliant solution

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scubascott

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just found the boards here tonight as Ive been madly surfing trying to find a new jeweler. The one Ive been using for the last 10 years finally retired, but I''ve been pretty pleased with some of the comments in many of the threads IVe read through so I thought Id give the board here a whirl.

My soon to be Fiancee has very small hands somewhere between 4-4.5 depending on the day and the person sizing her. I do not particularly care for the traditional ''solitaire'' setting. I have borrowed a couple of women with small hands that happened to be passing by in the malls just to get an idea of what the settings would look like on someone with hands close to the right size and have found that almost all the settings i fell in love with with, are just to bulky to be worn on a finger that dainty.

In addition to the little fingers I would really like to be able to have her ring be able to begin a tradition. I would like to have some sidestones in the ring so that when our future daughter gets married we can have the stones from this ring be put into her ring. but just to be difficult again, I dont really like the typical ''3 stone'' rings.

So If you managed to wade through all this and have any brilliant ideas about how I might be able to give her a comfortable ring that looks like it belongs on a dainty finger and has multiple stones that could be included in our kids rings and doesnt come in the form of a 3 stone ring, Id love to hear about them
loopy.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Scubascott,

Which diamond shape or shapes are you considering? White or yellow metal? Do you want the sidestones to be diamonds as well, or are you open to other gemstones? (e.g. sapphires, rubies, etc.)

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
One more question - does she have small hands, or just a small finger size? My fingers are on the smallish side, but they're fairly long and my hands aren't small. This could make a difference in terms of the overall look you're seeking.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tradition...

How many persons should inherit?
2.gif
It seems like this variable is not going to fully determine the number of diamonds on the ring...

Three stone rings are now all the rage: two stone rings have been in fashion yesteryear and now have promoted into collections and high-end jewelry. For example...

And how about matching/replacing the ring with a substantial diamond band? If the stones in it are reasonably large and high quality they could be spread as heirlooms to a broad number of potential family members... after all.

Not to mention that that three-stone-ring comes in so many flavors that I can hardly imagine what you mean by a "classic three stone ring". Are all options bad in this area? Looking to more options online would surely present too many options for safety.

Oh, and one of my dearest collegues in London had a e-ring in the shape of a clover composed of four D-IF hart shape diamonds (perfectly matched, on top of it all). Not traditional (common, ordinary), but a great ring.

I surely hope this is going to become a very, very long thread!

scubascott

Rough_Rock
Was really leaning towards either white gold or plat. The shape of the main stone is really up in the air. She has always liked marquise and pear/teardrop and trillion, but just the other day she was oohing and ahhing over a princess cut and a round. Truthfully after 5 years I think she'd be happy with an emory board taped onto her finger if it meant we were getting married
3.gif

As for her fingers they are long and skinny however overall her hands are quite small. Shes a pretty tiny person in general.

I have always loved the emerald cuts myself and I was thinking of using them as the side stones but having seen the settings I really liked, that have main stone flanked by emerald cuts which are flanked by baguettes ... well it was just too much ring for that size finger.

scubascott

Rough_Rock
Well as for the number on inheritors it will be limited to daughters. Daughters in law can inherit one for their 10 yr anniversary ring, after that long it will hopefully be just too much work for them to run off with the stone
3.gif

Hadnt really thought about putting stones in the wedding band... channel setting a few there might work so long as the two rings could be worn together.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------

Hadnt really thought about putting stones in the wedding band... channel setting a few there might work so long as the two rings could be worn together.
----------------

Channel setting is done for tiny stones only (below 0.1 ct). Something similar which works for bigger ones is the 'bead' setting which can also line up stones between two rised lines of metal to protect them... and this applies to placing larger side stones on the band of the E-ring itself, now that I am thinking about it. I'll get an exampe asap...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is (larger stones bead (look-alike anyway) set on the shank of E-ring, that is): just forget about the fancy intense pink (?!)in the middle: a round will go instead just fine.

One more thing: I guess you might want those give-away stones not to be of a cut that is only used as side stones (baguettes, trilliants, half moons, trapezoids or what not). The rounds below fit the bill.

The picture comes from HERE

r202-11W.jpg

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
"Truthfully after 5 years I think she'd be happy with an emory board taped onto her finger if it meant we were getting married." -
9.gif

There are many, many styles of three-stone rings. I've never seen one with a marquise (other than with baguettes) but I've seen plenty with emerald cuts, princesses, and rounds.

Thin, dainty three-stone rings do exist, but they're hard to find. Most of them appear kind of clunky to my eyes. I was in love with the look of a three-stone emerald cut ring...until I actually tried one on. Clunky as hell.

My suggestions - decide what shape & carat weight of center stone you want, and go from there. Think about getting something custom-made, if you can swing it - it's actually not as expensive as you might think. I would also avoid baguettes & trilliants - it's a personal thing, they look dull to my eyes.
1.gif

Hope this helps.

Canadiangrrl, fellow SCUBA-lover
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Here's one from Dirt Cheap Diamonds that I really love. The center stone is a 1.50 round. The half-moon sapphires are stunning.
1.gif

antique ring half moon sapphires.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 12/2/2003 8:17:26 PM scubascott wrote:

Truthfully after 5 years I think she'd be happy with an emory board taped onto her finger if it meant we were getting married
3.gif
----------------
LAUGHED MY HEAD OFF on this one. Thanks for the deep guffaw, Scott!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi welcome...I have a Vatche 3 stone truffle which I find to be very delicate (even though I don't have very delicate hands...I need all the help I could get)...the band is @1.8-2mm wide and the flow of the prongs is very beautiful...

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a front view...

Center .90 Regent cut diamond sides 2 Ceylon sapphires 3.25mm in diameter

my ering finished7.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Side view

my e ring profile1.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Angled view

my ering oblique1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results