carat
color
clarity

Looking for a blue-green or ice blue sapphire

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

For 6 months, I have been looking for a pair of ovals, same color/criteria as the one sold/shown in your first post. No success.

Hope you have better luck than I have!

cheers--Sharon

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cutting looks good and the stone is likely to be eye clean. You might spot something once a while when the light hits it just right but I'm guessing it should be fine. The colour is not only pale but icy and barely there; not quite what I imagine the ocean would look like. More importantly, is that what you like?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a stone in my search for a blue sapphire for a friend of mine.

_863.jpg

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
This is gorgeous, Arkteia. Perfect cut, I wish it had a bit of a blue hue though, but very promising! Can I ask where you saw it?

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh, that stone on prima site looks so pretty. Gemseeker, here's a site for Montana sapphires. The link should lead to a cushion cut pale blue Montana sapphire 1.12 cts about $450. It may be too small but perhaps they have something in stock.

http://blazengems.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=741

I found this site because I think Jerry Newman cut some stones for him and mentioned him on his site.

Good hunting! ::)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw your reply. Something happened to.my email mailbox, and I am trying to fix the problem, so I am not checking any sites as frequently. Let me send email to the vendor, It is a not direct communication. If he has it,.I shall ask him to post a direct link.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Give me a day and I shall post here. I think you might be interested.

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
Fantastic Arkteia! I feel like I should stay home from work to wait for the post so the PS lurkers don't get to it first! Ha, just kidding. Sort of :D

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
Thanks Arkteia!

As I feared, it sold within minutes of being posted on the website. Sigh, hopefully it found a good home! :)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, many cutters have some material left. But of course, it is becoming rare.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
If you haven't found something yet this seems to be in your colour range and size if you're open to the hexagon cut (which I happen to think is lovely). http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6570

There are also these two http://www.gemartservices.com/newstuff.htm but I don't know if they are still available having been cut so long ago. The website pointed to in the first of these listings specializes in Montanas and currently there is this 2ct/$2000 princess cut which might be worth pursuing to see if they will send other photos, particularly on the hand.
Unfortunately the photography doesn't appear to do any of them justice. http://blazengems.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_58&products_id=727

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Gemseeker2012, have you found your sapphire yet? If you haven't, try contacting Roger Dery. I recently had a chance to see some of his inventory in person, and he might have something that fits the bill. You can contact him through his website: http://www.spectralgems.net - and keep in mind he has more inventory than he has been able to post there.

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the leads Starzin and jstarfireb!

I haven't found "the stone" yet, unfortunately. I did get to see a GORGEOUS Roger Dery green sapphire recently. Absolutely stunning, but just not the right color for me for an every day ring. He is, however, absolutely fantastic to work with, so perhaps I'll see if he might have something else.

I did just receive a stone that is pretty close to what I had imagined - the problem is, I am fairly certain its overpriced and the seller is pretty inflexible about it. To give you an idea, its more than twice the price of a similar quality/cut stone from another vendor that just happens to be less of an appealing color to me. Its not horribly outside my budget, but I hate the feeling of dramatically overpaying for something!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
So the hunt continues...do keep us posted and good luck!

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
How about this one?
http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_298.jpg
Montana Sapphire Cushion Modified "Radiante" Cut
Weight: 2.32 cts
Measurements: 7.5x7mm, height 5mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Montana, USA
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 1970.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_298
Description: Bright and beautiful light silvery blue with teal tone. Gorgeous cut and clean. (Cut by Andrew Gulij)
Pantone 548-550C (in daylight)

This one is pending but if the person decides against it you could always ask Andrew or Laura to keep you in mind. ;)) http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_montana/sapphire_montana_300.jpg
Montana Sapphire Cushion Modified "Radiante" Cut
Weight: 2.71cts
Measurements: 8.2 x 6.8mm, depth 5.7mm
Clarity: VVS-VS
Origin: Montana, USA
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 2700.00 Sale Pending
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_300
Description: Sparkly and brilliant lightest aqua-green. Well cut with no windowing or extinction, untreated. Beautiful!
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Good to hear you and Roger have been in touch, but too bad he didn't have the one for you. Was worth a try anyway!

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the links! I will try to post some pictures of what I've found in a couple days.

The stone I posted the picture of above (1.35 ct cushion cut) was absolutely stunning in person. The macro photo in no way does the color justice. It is more of a light but very bright green-blue and is super sparkly. Price wise, it was more than reasonable. It would have definitely been "the one" if my hands were not so huge! My size 8 fingers need something a little bigger. ;( It is with great sadness that I will send it back to Lisa Elser, the super fabulous woman behind the magnificent cut of that stone!

I am hoping to receive another stone later this week, will update when I have some news or photos.

Thanks again to everyone for keeping their eyes out for me. :twirl:

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
When I started this process it seemed like the hardest part was going to be actually finding what I was looking for. Now after finding four beautiful gems, I have to say the hardest part is actually sending some of them back! You start scheming ways to keep things and create jewelry you never knew you wanted! I was fortunate to find four stones from four incredibly talented cutters. I've narrowed it down to two, but I thought I'd give you all a peek at what I've found. Thoughts and opinions are welcome! ;-)

The first is the 1.35 ct Umba sapphire from Lisa Elser. Really incredible cut and color. But in the photo, you'll see the problem is my giant hand :(
photo__13_.jpg

This is a 5.5 ct green sapphire from Roger Dery. It is incredibly cut and the color is a vivid green. We have been referring to it as the "green monster" given its size. Incredibly beautiful, just not the color for me for everyday wear....I keep thinking what a beautiful necklace it would make though! It does have an inclusion under the crown, which I knew about and I don't think it really detracts from its beauty at all.
photo__14_.jpg

Contestant #3 - 2.5+ ct antique cushion cut montana sapphire. Heated.
photo__16_.jpg

Contestant #4 - 2.5+ ct untreated Montana sapphire. Radiant cut.
photo__18_.jpg

Sorry I don't have better photos to show - these photos in no way do these stones justice. Its between #3 and #4 currently. #4 is is a beautiful color and has lots of sparkle, which I love. #3 has one of the most amazing cuts I've seen. It doesn't have as much sparkle as #4, but I am drawn to its incredible symmetry - if that makes any sense!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Gah! :-o You don't need our help! Those are absolutely stunning. My preference would be between the last two as well though no doubt Lisa and Roger's both have charms of their own.

Love the colour of #3 and #4, but for the divine MC2 setting, I would choose #4 to hold it's own against the diamonds. I also prefer the longer cut on your hand.

All I can say is Oh Wow :appl: :love: :mrgreen: :love: :appl:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Holy crap! The 4th stone in that setting!! I'm already drooling.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful dillema to have! #3 or #4 would be fantastic.

I'm new at this, so I'll give you some layman's impressions.

I vote decisively for #4, and I agree with Starzin that the shape looks better on your hand. It also looks more riddled with the lighter areas, which is very nice. More importantly, it also looks closer to your inspiration stone from litnon. #3 looks like a classic montana teal, whereas #4, while still recognizable as a montana, is a bit more unique.

Finally, its an E-RING! Get some sparkle!

I also prefer unheated, but if the heated is cheaper, that might be a consideration.

Good Luck!

Conundrum.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am smitten with #4. Perfect for your hand size and a beautiful, bright, flashy stone.

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Oh GASP! I love all of them (but I can see what you mean about the size of #1-- maybe if it was oriented east-west instead of north-south?), but I think either #3 or #4 would be spectacular! There's no bad choice in that group! Congratulations, how exciting! I think 4 is closer to your original plan, but I really love the cut on 3 too, and they are both such beautiful colors...

The MC2 setting is spectacular as well! I saw them when we were still looking at e-rings, but they were far outside our petite budget, so I reluctantly left the idea behind.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No question about either sapphire 3 or 4. The inspiration setting is no doubt out of the question price wise, plus they do not accept outside stones. Still, that shouldn't stop you from creating a setting with similar design elements.

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

Thanks, Chrono. Yes, the MC2 settings are beautiful, but beauty of course comes at a price :) I had the chance to see them in person though, as I grew up not far from their little shop. They are even more stunning in person, I assure you. They told me that each ring takes an average of 80 hours to make by hand, hence the pricing. I'm not really a fan of yellow gold, but their technique for making the bloomed yellow gold rings is stunning. Yes, as you mentioned Chrono, they prefer not to set outside stones anyway. I guess I will have to settle for a variation on the theme, which hopefully will be ok.

I'm having a little bit of a panic attack regarding stone #4. Is it possible to only see extinction in some light? When I was looking at it last night with just my bedside reading lamp on, it appeared half silvery blah and half normal. Am I imagining this? I don't notice it in any other light, so far at least.

I do love the cut of stone #3, though. The photos don't really capture how special it is. That said, I agree with Starzin that #4 would be better able to hold its own in a diamond setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results