shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a .75 VS2 H (I think)

whalerman

Rough_Rock
Long story short. I've been down this road once before. Bought a very nice .76 VVS1 D color for my late wife. It was beautiful, everyone commented on it's brilliance over the years. I felt the need for a better quality stone that would have value. Well, fast forward to today. My thoughts have changed a little. She passed away suddenly at 40, and I have NO INTENTION of ever selling or re using the stone. It just means too much to me. Maybe someday I will pass it along to one of our boys. Dunno.

I now find myself looking for another stone for my (hopeful) future bride. Seeing as how I hopefully will never sell this one either, do I look for GIA, or AGS certification for the purposes of resale, or simply the promise of a legit diamond?

Based on what I am comfortable with I think a .75 carat H color, VS2 with ideal cut is about what I want. But I am not sure if I am just tunnel vision or what?

My budget is 4k Total (with setting) Don't mind buying pre-owned. A Diamond is a diamond and the setting can be changed or whatever if the price is right.

I did have an opportunity to pick up a .76 AGS Ideal 000 with VS2 and H color with a platinum setting for 3k, but I wasn't ready then. Of course I think now it was a fair deal. Looking for a deal like that.

Any advice? Any Thoughts? I know there are multiple questions here.

whalerman

Rough_Rock
Since I don't really know, I will ask. Isn't an SI clarity not so good? I just want to make sure when people look at the ring it dazzles! I doubt it will ever be resold. So being an investment isn't top priority.

I am thinking a solitaire round with no accent diamonds.

I wish I had a higher budget, but thats another story.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some good options. call and request an ideal scope if you like any of them and reserve them.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1420408.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1392918.asp

Clarity does not affect sparkle unless you are talking about some types of SI2 or I1 stones. Si1 is perfectly fine. Sparkle comes from the cut quality. If you want to looks for SI1 stones to save money you just need to make sure it is eye clean to your standards, meaning you need to tell the vendor your preferences for eye visibility of inclusions. most vendors define eye clean as not visible in normal lighting at 8-10 inches with normal vision.

whalerman

Rough_Rock
I had been looking at the .75 (second one you linked at James Allen) a few times, but wasn't sure if it was a good value. What will the scope give me?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think these are the best value you will find for diamonds that you can have images of immediately. You could save a little more by looking on what is called the 'virtual inventory", which are stones that the vendors do not have in house and can call in for you. But that is time consuming since you would need to let the vendor hunt for you. I don't expect you would save too much that way, maybe a few hundred.

If you want to save more you can go for Si1 or you can go for an I color, neither of which will affect sparkle and in this size, likely will not look any different than the H VS2s above!

An ideal scope will simple confirm for you that the diamond's angles are most complimentary to prodcue a nice bright sparkly stone. Both diamonds I linked are GIA Ex cuts with great proportions so you *can* skip the ideal scope and be pretty darn sure they will look very nice to the naked eye. It all depends on how obsessive you are about ensuring its the best cut! There is no cost to calling JA and requesting an ideal scipe image. At the same time they can look at the stone and assess it for you.

whalerman

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I just spoke to Emily at James Allen and ordered the scope. I may have it within a few days. I'll post it when I get it. I have honestly come back to this countless times when I look.

Thanks.

If anyone sees another stone that I am not seeing, feel free.

Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results