shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a ~0.4 carat engagement diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

matkun

Rough_Rock
Hey, going to be buying an enagegement ring.. The first diamond I have ever bought and I have had bad luck with buying inferior jewellery before.

I''m looking at bluenile.ca since they are one of the only internet retailers that ship to Canada and accept credit card (from Canada).

Now, my budget is maxing out at ~1,200 USD.. and I want a platinum 6-prong setting for her diamond which bluenile.ca wants to charge me 450 USD for.

So that leaves me about 500-750 for a diamond. She''s also rather eagle-eyed, so I want to get her something that is very close to near-perfect. It''s okay if it''s a smaller diamond, but I''m very nervous about inclusions and colour.

I''ve chosen a few on bluenile.. one is:

$698
Carat weight: 0.41
Cut: Ideal
Colour: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth %: 62.4%
Table %: 56%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Faint blue
Measurements: 4.75 x 4.77 x 2.97 mm

The GIA report, under Comments says "None" so I''m hoping the inclusions aren''t very visible.

Another one, which shows only 2-3 very tiny dots on the AGSL report is:

$741
Carat weight: 0.36
Cut: Very Good
Colour: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 61.3%
Table %: 59%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Medium to thick, faceted
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 4.55 x 4.60 x 2.79 mm

And finally, a third:

$722
Carat weight: 0.41
Cut: Ideal
Colour: H
Depth %: 62.0%
Table %: 54%
Symmetry: Very good
Girdle: Thin to medium
Measurements: 4.78 x 4.80 x 2.97 mm

So.. what should I be looking for.. are any of these good? Is it likely I can get a good strong setting made locally for cheaper? Should I be worried about Colour in such a small diamond, or even inclusions?

Thank you for any help you may provide.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 4:05:31 PM
Author:matkun

So.. what should I be looking for.. are any of these good? Is it likely I can get a good strong setting made locally for cheaper? Should I be worried about Colour in such a small diamond, or even inclusions?
you definitely don''t need to get high color/clarity in that size. you would be perfectly safe with an I/SI stone graded by gia or ags. i would even look for some ''j'' color stones as well.

best of luck!

matkun

Rough_Rock
The AGS report for the one you suggest says "Pintspoints are not shown". Is that something I should be worried about?

For the Cut Grade, what's the difference between Ideal and Very Good? Also on the same report, the Finish says 1, as opposed to 0. Is that better or worse?

Thank you VERY much for the quick responses. :)

Also forgot to ask.. Is it likely Bluenile's prices will change at all on/after the 26th? That's Boxing day here in Canada, but I think it's unlikely diamonds go on sale..

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 4:29:02 PM
Author: matkun
The AGS report for the one you suggest says ''Pintspoints are not shown''. Is that something I should be worried about?

For the Cut Grade, what''s the difference between Ideal and Very Good? Also on the same report, the Finish says 1, as opposed to 0. Is that better or worse?

Thank you VERY much for the quick responses. :)
''pinpoints'' not shown means there are some miniscule little spots in the stone that weren''t plotted. nothing to worry about at all.
the difference in cut grade on the grading report is in the finish. this stone got a ''1'' in finish because of the ''excellent'' grade in polish instead of ideal. again, not a problem. you just want to make sure there is a ''0'' for light performance (which there is!). THAT is the important one.
2.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinpoints are very very small....and you definitely don't need to worry about it in a VS1. If they are not mapped, it means they are smaller than the characteristics that gave it the VS1 grade, and the grader didn't bother.

I believe the one that has a 1 score on finish has it on the polish? That's totally fine. You'll never see it with the naked eye. 0 is better than 1, though... It is still excellent polish.

While you can go much lower in clarity and color, it doesn't seem you'll be able to gain much carat weight, so I'd just go for something G/H VS.

And I see miss belle explained everything perfectly.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I may have mis-read...if that''s $1200 with ring, Julie''s option is swell. But, if without...maybe something like this? You don''t have to pay much more relatively at this size for a higher color.

Regards,

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Sure you don't want to get a WG setting instead of platinum? If you are going for a simple setting and have a somewhat limited budget, I would spend as much $$ on the diamond as I could. A better/bigger diamond will be more bang for your buck than a platinum setting over a WG one.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, have you talked to Whiteflash on whether they would ship to canada and accept a credit card from there? They have good quality diamonds and great prices and if the price is not too high, they may be willing to accept other forms of payments. May be worth a try..

matkun

Rough_Rock
From whiteflash website..

"All purchases made from outside the USA must be paid by bank wire, not credit card. There is an extra charge for FEDEX international shipping/insurance"

So Whiteflash won't accept my credit card.
I'd also like to stick with the Platinum setting.

I think I've narrowed it down to two diamonds now.. the one suggested by JulieN (http://www.bluenile.ca/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00291282&filter_id=0#grading_report)

and this one.. http://www.bluenile.ca/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00436575&filter_id=0

The second one is H, VS2, but 0.43 carats instead of 0.39. The AGS report also says ""AGSL 8013402 H&A" has been inscribed on the girdle of this diamond". I'm guessing that it's a good thing, since it's that Hearts & Arrows thing I've heard about?

Argh.. so hard to choose.. found a few more too..
http://www.bluenile.ca/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00123619&filter_id=0 (a 0.4, I, VS1 that appears very clean)

And finally http://www.bluenile.ca/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00288806&filter_id=0 (0.4, G, SI1, which gets a 0.8 on the Cut Adviser but looks to have lots of inclusions)

I'm going to order tomorrow before 3 PM EST to ensure it gets here on time before New Years.. Any suggestions to narrow it down from those 4?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I''d get a slightly less expensive setting in white gold and spend a few more dollars on a larger stone. But the ones you have picked out all look beautiful.

matkun

Rough_Rock
First of all, Thank you all for all your suggestions.

I considered moving to a white gold ring, but the 250 USD savings from the Platinum ring don't seem to go very far. Instead of a high quality 0.4 or so, I would be able to get a near-high quality 0.44 or 0.45, which seems to be about it for what's available from Bluenile at ~1000. Past 0.4 carats it seem prices rise very quickly.

So I think going for a maybe 10% smaller carat, higher quality diamond with a better band would provide me more bang for the buck.

I'm down now to choosing between:
0.43 Carat, $772 USD http://www.bluenile.ca/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00436575
Colour: H
Depth %: 61.6%
Table %: 57%
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet: Pointed
Measurements: 4.82 x 4.84 x 2.98 mm

Which is a slight larger size, but has a few clouds of pinpoints, but also has the AGSL 8013402 H&A inscription, which I take it means it's a very good cut?

Or the one suggested earlier,
0.39 Carat, $759 USD http://www.bluenile.ca/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00291282
Colour: G
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 61.9%
Table %: 55.4%
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Medium to thick
Culet: Pointed
Measurements: 4.67 x 4.73 x 2.90 mm

Which is a smaller size and slightly higher quality, and has less or no clouds.

Either one that I choose will be going into the 6-prong platinum solitare setting from bluenile.. Any comments on these before 2 PM EST today when I pull the trigger on one of these?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Might be late, but the H is very nice, I think I''d go with that. Both are fine choices.

matkun

Rough_Rock
Yep.. went with 0.43 Carat H. I think I''ll be happy, though I''ll have to see when it gets here around the 28th

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t forget to post pictures. Many of us will be away but will check in anyway. Or look for it when we get back home.
It looks like it will be a lovely stone.
9.gif

matkun

Rough_Rock
It came in today to my parent''s home.. Ordered on the 22nd before 3 PM EST, shipped on 28th, arrived today at ~10 AM.

Will post pictures when I have ''em.

matkun

Rough_Rock
Still hiding it from the girlfriend, since she''ll be getting it in a few days so no pictures yet.. But a quick question.

I ended up paying ~1200 USD + 200 USD for shipping to Toronto at Bluenile for the 0.43 carat, H colour, VS2, with the H&A inscription stating it''s a Hearts & Arrows cut, scoring I think 1.2 on the HCA with a 6-prong platinum 2.5mm setting. Now the interesting thing is I received an appraisal in the documentation, from Bluenile (I''m assuming for insurance purposes) stating it''s appraised at ~2,125 USD.

Is this normal?

The really interesting thing is I went over to Birks in the Eaton Centre and saw a few rings, except Birks wanted ~4,000 CAD for a 0.36 carat diamond with similar statistics, though certified by Birks.. No less with a platinum setting it would have been ~4,600 CAD, which would come out to ~3,800 USD.

So.. I guess I''m a bit surprised I paid ~1200 USD (1700 CAD, <3 the rising CAD value) to build an enagement ring worth ~2,125 USD which would cost more than ~4,000 USD at Birks.

Or is the appraisal off, intended to make me feel better about my purchase.. since after all it was done by an in-house Blue Nile Gemologist.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would get an independent appraisal for insurance purposes. I don''t know if BN inflates their''s but many B&M do.

matkun

Rough_Rock
She said yes and loves it! Perfect size for her she said.
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Congratulations! I am so happy she loves it!

To answer your question from 12/30, many of the online vendors supply an insurance valuation that is higher than your purchase price. My understanding is that they do this because the online prices are generally lower than a typical retail price at a jewelry store. So I don''t find your valuation to be out of line, especially since you''vre already seen some retail prices that are even higher. I wouldn''t worry about a further appraisal. Your stone has a good certificate and that is all you really need!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results