shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking at asschers at ERD today, looking for help/advice

neuman101

Rough_Rock
Im going to look at asschers today with Gary at ERD today. I have been lurking this forum for a little while now, and trying to learn about asschers bc the consensus seems to be that these are difficult to pick out and there are a lot of mediocre asschers out there. Does anyone have any advice for selecting one? Should i demand ASET images (not that ill know what im looking at). Should i just look at them in all sorts of lighting and see what looks the best?

I have given him a budget of around 20k, looking for something in the 2 carat range. H color or better. VS2 or better.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Looking at asschers at ERD today, looking for help/advic

I would look at different lighting, tilt the stones, see what appeals most to you. Look for a clear step pattern and brightness (sometimes asschers can be very dark and you want to make sure that any dark zones disappear when you tilt the stone). But really...look for what speaks to your eyes.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Layla%20Steven%20Reset%20close%20up.jpg Here's mine. Sorry it was dusty when I took the pic but you should get the jist of it.
Best thing you can do is know what a good one looks like. And have Gary point out the positives and the negatives of each stone as he sees them.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Your right, your chosing an asscher seems to be a daunting task, at least my experience. :errrr: I looked for months, not knowing exactly what I was looking for. I took a list of criteria with me, and possibly tossed a few really good asschers away, without having had a good look, because they didn't fit into the very narrow scope I had restricted myself to. I was really frustrated toward the end, then my FI asked me what it was that was the most important to me? I wanted my stone to have fire, so I started just looking at each stone in different light, forgetting all the numbers that everyone told me it should have and waited for one to sing to me. And then when one did, I moved on to looking at the windmill pattern and the square faceting etc, and things starting to fall into place. So, if I had any advice about shopping for an asscher, it would be to go with an open mind. The numbers may call one a dog, but in my experience that wasn't always the case. Find one that speaks to you and THEN look at the numbers and how it comes together as a package, your eyes and heart will tell you if its the one. I have one of those stones that fall just outside what everyone considers ideal, that table is a bit too big, the depth a bit short and the windmill a tad narrow, but somehow as a whole package it's just perfect for me. Have fun today and congrats!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results