shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking at an OMC today - need advice

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
I starting the process of hungting for an upgrade for my 20th anniversary. I recently had my original ER set into a very modern right hand ring. Now I have turned 180 degrees and fell in love with all of the OMC, antique cushions, and AVC's on this site. I am not sure if I want just an ER with a killer setting or a solitare ER with a beautiful band, but my budget for everything is up to 11 or 12K at most. I have scoured the antique shops, pawn shops and estate jewelry stores in my area. One of the jewelers called me yesterday and told me he had a 1.5 ct. wt. OMC for me to look at today. I am a total novice at evaulating OMC's or any stone for that matter. Here is what I know so far

OMC
1.56 ct. wt
VS1
L-N color range
not certified
asking price about 6K

Now I know since it is not certified that it could be lower than a VS1 in clarity and warmer than a L-N color range - should I be worried that the stone is not certified?

Beside the obvious "eye appeal" to me, what else should I be looking at to evaluate this stone?

What about price range?

Are there any OMC "guidelines"?

I know I just started my hunt, and I want to look at this ring specifically to see if I like the chunky cushions in the warmer range, so I figure it can't hurt to look. Then it may give me an idea of how warm I can go.

I would appreciate any guidance I am given. Thanks.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These creatures need be visualized in real life.
Go see it and then let us know what you saw..., and a picture wouldn't hurt as well, good luck.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I second what DiaGem said. I think that while specs are helpful, if it appeals to your eye (and you're getting a fair price for what's being offered), then it doesn't matter so much what the specs are....can't wait to see a photo and hear your thoughts!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
+1 to the comments made by Diagem and Yenny.

Any "guideline" is not going to be in touch with the reality of the actual diamond.
If you have the chance to look at a number of OMB stones in person that will add valuable context.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, what fun!

I agree with the others that you should take a look in person AND compare it to other OMCs you see in person, as well.

As for certification, can't the jeweler send it out to be certified? When my jeweler bought my current stone from a private seller it wasn't certified, and even though I fell in love with it when I saw it I still had him send it to GIA for certification. It didn't take long, and it gave me the piece of mind I needed before moving forward. I think there are a couple benefits to this--1) I could compare the stone's stats to other stones available to get a good idea on what the price should be, and 2) I knew what I was getting.

That being said, if you like this stone I hope you get some good pictures to share!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Take a loupe along to look for chips and damage to the girdle or facet joints. This can compromise the stone. Also realize though that the stone can be repolished which will take care of small nicks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results