shape
carat
color
clarity

looking at a diamond

Murf

Rough_Rock
When looking at a diamond, what should I be looking for while examining it? I’ll be looking at diamonds for the first time in person and I’m a little lost on what to be looking for exactly. I’ve done some research and I’ve read to match gia/ags serial number, look at the inclusions, move the diamond around and analyze in different light. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What shape / size / colour of diamonds are you looking at?

There are different things to look out for depending on what you're buying :)

If you're happy to post your budget and shape/colour/clarity/size desires/requirements, we can help you find stones at the PS-recommended vendors that might suit :)

Murf

Rough_Rock
What shape / size / colour of diamonds are you looking at?

There are different things to look out for depending on what you're buying :)

If you're happy to post your budget and shape/colour/clarity/size desires/requirements, we can help you find stones at the PS-recommended vendors that might suit :)
It’s a 1ct, H color round brilliant diamond, with the help of some here I’ve been able to start making selections. Now I will start to go and view in person.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Are you based in US or some other country?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a 1ct, H color round brilliant diamond, with the help of some here I’ve been able to start making selections. Now I will start to go and view in person.
Have a look at the websites of the PS-recommended vendors and post up any that take your fancy :)

WhiteFlash
High Performance Diamonds
Brian Gavin
James Allen
Diamonds By Lauren
B2C
Good Old Gold
August Vintage Inc.
Gemconcepts

(Have I missed any? I feel sure I have! lol)

Murf

Rough_Rock
Are you based in US or some other country?
I’m in Canada, I prefer to buy locally that’s why I’m dealing with a few people here, One of them that I no personally. I really just want to inform myself as much as possible before I go and view some stones.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BlueNile retails in Canada. If you want to share your budget, we can find some options for you. Further, BN sells diamonds from “virtual inventory” and other retailers also have access to those stones, so potentially, a local retailer can source them for you, but BN is likely to provide a better price point.
If you do not have a trained eye, it is very, very difficult to distinguish good from bad diamonds in person and especially in a jewelry store when the lightning is very favourable. At the very minimum, you want to pool for diamonds that fall within the below criteria:

Table: 53-58

Depth: 60-62.4 (no more than that, because the stone will face up smaller)

Crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi gave some good criteria to narrow the field. I might add AGS or GIA certified stones only so that you can establish a quality base.

When looking at clarity, really you are trying to determine "eye clean". The term itself is very subjective as people have varying degrees of visibility. One definition that exists and seems to be popular is that no inclusions can be seen from 10" away, looking at the top of the diamond. More discerning buyers may lessen that distance to 6" and include top and side views. Essentially, you want to conclude that to the naked eye, you cannot see any inclusions.

Color is probably the most easy thing for many buyers to distinguish. Unless you look from the side, or have very sensitive vision many people cannot tell a difference in D-F colors. I'd say G & H depends on the cut and the person's visibility. Kind of like with inclusions, colors will be harder to discern looking at the top of the diamond and easier to tell when looking at the sides. I might argue that many people cannot tell a difference in one color grade unless they have trained eyes or a reference point (G & H sitting next to each other). Also be aware that grading certifications are subjective and have some variance as well. While a stone may be labeled as H, it may appear more white (almost a G) or could appear a little more yellow (almost an I). Not really "yellow", but it would have just a smidge more tint of color.

By looking at stones under different lighting, you can start to determine cut quality. Essentially, jeweler lighting is designed to make all their stones look like champs. If you find a stone you like, ask to walk outside with it, or under various lighting conditions and see how it performs. This helps equalize out their house lighting.

I'd also encourage you to ask for certs and analyze them. Use their scopes to find said inclusions. Also ask them if they have idealscope and ASET scopes on-site so you can use those in your analysis. Learn how to read the scope images if you don't already know so you can be armed with this knowledge when you walk in the doors.

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/what-aset-reveals-ideal-scope-does-not

If you are looking at stones that proclaim to be H&A, then ask to see those images or better yet ask them to put the stones in a H&A viewer for you so that you can analyze first hand and review the images for compliance. I can't link to external sites (per forum rules) but you can search how to analyze these images if you aren't familiar.

But here's the best advice -- don't be afraid to walk out! I've found more times than not, that local brick & mortar stores are not of the quality that I seek, nor the pricing as good as our online vendors. What really annoys me is getting the 20 year old sales clerk that knows ZERO about diamonds. You said you know someone personally so I hope they are experienced and you can trust them. I've had "friends" like that before that didn't know as much as they said and were just trying to make a sale using our friendship, so be weary.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When looking at a diamond, what should I be looking for while examining it? I’ll be looking at diamonds for the first time in person and I’m a little lost on what to be looking for exactly. I’ve done some research and I’ve read to match gia/ags serial number, look at the inclusions, move the diamond around and analyze in different light. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am going to have a different view than you have been given so far.

First, LOOK AT THE DIAMOND! Only your eyes will know if they look at it or not. If at all possible, ask your chosen jeweler to place at least two and preferably more diamonds on a slotted tray without telling you anything about the diamonds. Then, using only your eyes, pick your best or least favorite diamond. Almost all of my in house clients will pick out the least favorite and we keep going until there are only two or three and at that time the eye will choose THE ONE.

side note: It has been my experience, that if you are in a location that can show you both super ideal cut diamonds and generic cut diamonds that your eyes will immediately choose to delete the generic cut diamonds. In one five diamond comparison held in a retail store in Houston, there were three super ideal cut diamonds and two AGS0 cut diamonds that were significantly less expensive than the super ideals. I had been told not to bother sending the super ideals, as they were 10% more and there was no way it was worth the money. I told the client that he had to choose between the two non super ideals anyway, he might as well see what he was missing, as it was not costing him a dime. When the five diamonds were placed randomly on the tray, the client looked at them and commented that two of them just did not seem to sparkle as well as the other three. The jeweler removed them from the tray. Then the guy got a little gray around the gills and said, "Please don't tell me that those were the two I said I was going to choose from." They were. He bought the largest remaining diamond that was $500 cheaper than the other two because it was an SI1 that he told me not to bother sending because he had read that SI1 were not worthy. It was larger and thus had larger flashes of white and colored light and believe me, when it comes to sparkle, bigger is wonderful! Oh, he chose the largest one before he knew the prices.

end side note:

Nearly always, THE ONE will not be within the narrow parameters that were chosen by reading about the paper grades. Rather it will be chosen by your eye because of something within the diamond speaking to you about how perfect it is. Often it will be a slightly lower color than you thought you had to have, but significantly larger than you thought you could afford.

Since the vast majority of my business is not with local clients, I am always pleasantly gratified with the many reports from clients when they receive their diamonds that it is even more beautiful than they expected. This is even more gratifying when it is a client who has purchased a diamond from me, on approval, that is one or two color grades lower than they were "willing" to go in order to reach a minimum desired size.

Although almost everyone will tell you how important the color and clarity are, it is really about the CUT! Cut trumps all but the most egregious color and clarity issues.

Q color, the knee jerk reaction is YUCH! The truth is that it is a rich buttery warmth. Probably not for most, but as a recent thread here showed, a magnificent opportunity for something completely different than what you see every day.

D, E, F colors? Stark cold white, very expensive, very desired, yet in blind taste tests, not the most chosen. For those that do choose them, they are what their eyes liked best. One of my in-house clients looked wistfully at the J color and said, "I wish I could love that color, it is so much larger than this D. (I try to show similarly priced diamonds in these showings.)

This is why it is important that you allow your eyes to see and do the choosing rather than choosing what you have read is the best for you.

In my opinion, it is important to first look at the diamond, then look at the report to see what it is that you have chosen. It is only a piece of paper, and yes, if you love cut, it should most likely be an AGS0 cut grade unless you know enough about cutting to judge if the GIA report is at least in the neighborhood of a truly well cut diamond, not the 68% of all of the diamonds on the market that GIA says are Excellent cut. Trust me, do your research and you will soon agree that the GIA Excellent cut grade is only right a very small percentage of the time. The cutters make too much money cutting to fat semi lifeless numbers that they can sell "cheaper" per carat for a diamond that is very much not Excellent, in spite of the paper saying it is. If the cutter can cut it fat enough to cross a price break barrier, say 1.00 carat, they can sell the stone for MUCH more than it is worth while bragging about their low pricing. Please DO NOT be fooled by this.

Still the report is your friend, especially when it is correct in identifying the probable light performance of the diamond. If the mapping of the inclusions has been done correctly, it is also your friend in giving comfort, as you can use that report to verify that the diamond you get back after setting, or after having your ring sized is in fact the same diamond that you left with the jeweler. I always recommend to people that they look at their diamond under a microscope when they leave it with someone for work. If no microscope, go find a jeweler that has at least this basic piece of equipment. Let your jeweler know that you will be looking again when you pick it up. That way the jeweler knows that there will not be any wrongful claims of switching and you know that there will not be any switching. If the jeweler is insulted, repeat the act found just after no microscope.

As for clarity, hmmm? If you want a VVS or an IF, cool, get one. If you want an SI1 or SI2, fine, get one. If you want to tell me your definition of eye clean includes from the side, fine, tell me and I will tell you what I see. I will not waste my time arguing with you, but you should perhaps spend a little of your time looking at some SI1-SI2 diamonds from the top. If the side view that has barely discernible inclusions bothers you, then get a smaller diamond or a more expensive one at the size you want. Those are personal taste issues and I personally will try never to be guilty of trying to tell you what you "should" want. I should be better than that, so I know how hard "should" is. ;)2

What I do know however is this. When you are looking at diamonds without knowing what they are, you will NOT be able to see the difference between Flawless and VS2, and from the top, between Flawless and SI1and most SI2 unless you have incredible, way younger than me, eyes. I fondly remember the days when my close up without glasses vision was nearly 2x. I never could see well at ten inches without my glasses, but man, I could see the heck out of things at four inches.

So, when you look at diamonds, choose the one you like the best, will you suddenly hate it if it is an SI1? Perhaps. Some do. They even tell me that it is only in their minds, but I always respect the fact that it is their mind, not mine. Most, however, are grateful to have found the diamond that they love, at a size that is bigger than they thought they could afford and just change that mind clean thing to a more inclusive mind clean thing.

That choice, will be yours. You will however have seen some diamonds that you may or may not like that are possibly way different than anything you ever thought about seeing. When you are done choosing, most likely, you will be much happier than if you chose on paper first and only then saw the diamonds.

Wink

Last edited:

Murf

Rough_Rock
I am going to have a different view than you have been given so far.

First, LOOK AT THE DIAMOND! Only your eyes will know if they look at it or not. If at all possible, ask your chosen jeweler to place at least two and preferably more diamonds on a slotted tray without telling you anything about the diamonds. Then, using only your eyes, pick your best or least favorite diamond. Almost all of my in house clients will pick out the least favorite and we keep going until there are only two or three and at that time the eye will choose THE ONE.

side note: It has been my experience, that if you are in a location that can show you both super ideal cut diamonds and generic cut diamonds that your eyes will immediately choose to delete the generic cut diamonds. In one five diamond comparison held in a retail store in Houston, there were three super ideal cut diamonds and two AGS0 cut diamonds that were significantly less expensive than the super ideals. I had been told not to bother sending the super ideals, as they were 10% more and there was no way it was worth the money. I told the client that he had to choose between the two non super ideals anyway, he might as well see what he was missing, as it was not costing him a dime. When the five diamonds were placed randomly on the tray, the client looked at them and commented that two of them just did not seem to sparkle as well as the other three. The jeweler removed them from the tray. Then the guy got a little gray around the gills and said, "Please don't tell me that those were the two I said I was going to choose from." They were. He bought the largest remaining diamond that was $500 cheaper than the other two because it was an SI1 that he told me not to bother sending because he had read that SI1 were not worthy. It was larger and thus had larger flashes of white and colored light and believe me, when it comes to sparkle, bigger is wonderful! Oh, he chose the largest one before he knew the prices.

end side note:

Nearly always, THE ONE will not be within the narrow parameters that were chosen by reading about the paper grades. Rather it will be chosen by your eye because of something within the diamond speaking to you about how perfect it is. Often it will be a slightly lower color than you thought you had to have, but significantly larger than you thought you could afford.

Since the vast majority of my business is not with local clients, I am always pleasantly gratified with the many reports from clients when they receive their diamonds that it is even more beautiful than they expected. This is even more gratifying when it is a client who has purchased a diamond from me, on approval, that is one or two color grades lower than they were "willing" to go in order to reach a minimum desired size.

Although almost everyone will tell you how important the color and clarity are, it is really about the CUT! Cut trumps all but the most egregious color and clarity issues.

Q color, the knee jerk reaction is YUCH! The truth is that it is a rich buttery warmth. Probably not for most, but as a recent thread here showed, a magnificent opportunity for something completely different than what you see every day.

D, E, F colors? Stark cold white, very expensive, very desired, yet in blind taste tests, not the most chosen. For those that do choose them, they are what their eyes liked best. One of my in-house clients looked wistfully at the J color and said, "I wish I could love that color, it is so much larger than this D. (I try to show similarly priced diamonds in these showings.)

This is why it is important that you allow your eyes to see and do the choosing rather than choosing what you have read is the best for you.

In my opinion, it is important to first look at the diamond, then look at the report to see what it is that you have chosen. It is only a piece of paper, and yes, if you love cut, it should most likely be an AGS0 cut grade unless you know enough about cutting to judge if the GIA report is at least in the neighborhood of a truly well cut diamond, not the 68% of all of the diamonds on the market that GIA says are Excellent cut. Trust me, do your research and you will soon agree that the GIA Excellent cut grade is only right a very small percentage of the time. The cutters make too much money cutting to fat semi lifeless numbers that they can sell "cheaper" per carat for a diamond that is very much not Excellent, in spite of the paper saying it is. If the cutter can cut it fat enough to cross a price break barrier, say 1.00 carat, they can sell the stone for MUCH more than it is worth while bragging about their low pricing. Please DO NOT be fooled by this.

Still the report is your friend, especially when it is correct in identifying the probable light performance of the diamond. If the mapping of the inclusions has been done correctly, it is also your friend in giving comfort, as you can use that report to verify that the diamond you get back after setting, or after having your ring sized is in fact the same diamond that you left with the jeweler. I always recommend to people that they look at their diamond under a microscope when they leave it with someone for work. If no microscope, go find a jeweler that has at least this basic piece of equipment. Let your jeweler know that you will be looking again when you pick it up. That way the jeweler knows that there will not be any wrongful claims of switching and you know that there will not be any switching. If the jeweler is insulted, repeat the act found just after no microscope.

As for clarity, hmmm? If you want a VVS or an IF, cool, get one. If you want an SI1 or SI2, fine, get one. If you want to tell me your definition of eye clean includes from the side, fine, tell me and I will tell you what I see. I will not waste my time arguing with you, but you should perhaps spend a little of your time looking at some SI1-SI2 diamonds from the top. If the side view that has barely discernible inclusions bothers you, then get a smaller diamond or a more expensive one at the size you want. Those are personal taste issues and I personally will try never to be guilty of trying to tell you what you "should" want. I should be better than that, so I know how hard "should" is. ;)2

What I do know however is this. When you are looking at diamonds without knowing what they are, you will NOT be able to see the difference between Flawless and VS2, and from the top, between Flawless and SI1and most SI2 unless you have incredible, way younger than me, eyes. I fondly remember the days when my close up without glasses vision was nearly 2x. I never could see well at ten inches without my glasses, but man, I could see the heck out of things at four inches.

So, when you look at diamonds, choose the one you like the best, will you suddenly hate it if it is an SI1? Perhaps. Some do. They even tell me that it is only in their minds, but I always respect the fact that it is their mind, not mine. Most, however, are grateful to have found the diamond that they love, at a size that is bigger than they thought they could afford and just change that mind clean thing to a more inclusive mind clean thing.

That choice, will be yours. You will however have seen some diamonds that you may or may not like that are possibly way different than anything you ever thought about seeing. When you are done choosing, most likely, you will be much happier than if you chose on paper first and only then saw the diamonds.

Wink
Thank you for your reply. I’ve actually chosen this stone, but before I go see it I’m waiting to see a few others because to bring this in for viewing will require me to put a small deposit down. The inclusions don’t look as bad as the report, I have a photo of the actual diamond.

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104099776021-PLDQRH.PDF

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply. I’ve actually chosen this stone, but before I go see it I’m waiting to see a few others because to bring this in for viewing will require me to put a small deposit down. The inclusions don’t look as bad as the report, I have a photo of the actual diamond.

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104099776021-PLDQRH.PDF

AGS000 is a good choice to guarantee good light return :))

Both the longer lower girdle facets (79%) (which give the skinnier arrows) and the 34.2° crown angle will mean it is likely to give more white light return than coloured fire, but it is personal taste which you prefer - neither is necessarily better than the other, it's just different 'flavours' :)

Use the diamond search tool near the top of the forum to identify other options (if you haven't already) - your jeweller might be able to pull them is as required!

Are you happy to share your budget?

Murf

Rough_Rock
AGS000 is a good choice to guarantee good light return :))

Both the longer lower girdle facets (79%) (which give the skinnier arrows) and the 34.2° crown angle will mean it is likely to give more white light return than coloured fire, but it is personal taste which you prefer - neither is necessarily better than the other, it's just different 'flavours' :)

Use the diamond search tool near the top of the forum to identify other options (if you haven't already) - your jeweller might be able to pull them is as required!

Are you happy to share your budget?
Total for the ring I’d like to spend $7000cad, but I do have room to move on that a little. The diamond I posted is $5200usd, already puts me over budget. I’m looking for a good mix of white light return and fire, I don’t mind if I have to sacrifice some fire though. I’m dealing with a wholesaler for that diamond, that was the best option of the ones I was given. I can always ask for more options, but I thought that was a good choice for what I’m looking for. Ideally if I’m going to go with this particular wholesaler and I’m paying a small deposit to bring in the stone, it would have to be the right one. That’s what’s putting me off right now bringing in that stone. I have also contacted others, once I see what they offer I can make a decision.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Point of reference, I bought a BGD Blue 0.867ct, H, VS2 for around $4800 USD. That's super ideal cut. While less than 1 carat, it sized up well on the dimensions and was a perfect fit for me. Plus, I'm thrilled with BGD and the fact I get a super ideal for my girl.

Slap that stone in a $350 USD solitaire and you are within budget, sans any VAT/duties.

Not sure what all they do in Canada, but I know they have a USA (Houston, TX), UK and Australia phone number. I don't believe international orders will be a problem.

Quick scan and I didn't see any Blue series diamonds, but they have a Black that is freakin' gorgeous! :love: :love: :love:

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../0.828-f-vs2-round-diamond-bkags-104099919006

Plus, right now they are running a special on D-H colored stones. An extra 8% off price with code DEFGH188. This would put you about $4,500 USD for the stone only.

FYI, the Black series is basically his "elite cut" that he considers the best at the current time. IMO, it's something special and I'd consider it.

Murf

Rough_Rock
Point of reference, I bought a BGD Blue 0.867ct, H, VS2 for around $4800 USD. That's super ideal cut. While less than 1 carat, it sized up well on the dimensions and was a perfect fit for me. Plus, I'm thrilled with BGD and the fact I get a super ideal for my girl.

Slap that stone in a $350 USD solitaire and you are within budget, sans any VAT/duties.

Not sure what all they do in Canada, but I know they have a USA (Houston, TX), UK and Australia phone number. I don't believe international orders will be a problem.

Quick scan and I didn't see any Blue series diamonds, but they have a Black that is freakin' gorgeous! :love: :love: :love:

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../0.828-f-vs2-round-diamond-bkags-104099919006

Plus, right now they are running a special on D-H colored stones. An extra 8% off price with code DEFGH188. This would put you about $4,500 USD for the stone only.

FYI, the Black series is basically his "elite cut" that he considers the best at the current time. IMO, it's something special and I'd consider it.
I really wanted to get 1 carat, but I do see your point, it is something I will consider now. That stone you showed me is reserved :cry2: I plan to set it on a petite french pave setting.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really wanted to get 1 carat, but I do see your point, it is something I will consider now. That stone you showed me is reserved I plan to set it on a petite french pave setting.

Yeah I saw the reserve too, but wanted to post to give you an idea. Worst case is you decide you want that stone. Call Lesley and tell her. She can then inform her other POTENTIAL buyer they need to make a decision or release the diamond so someone else (you) can purchase. It may or may not work, but that is how I would approach the situation.

Another option BGD has is what the call an Advance Selection. You set the criteria, they find a stone and then cut to their Signature standards, etc. Not sure your timeline, but it may take a little longer since they don't have it sitting in their safe like their other Signature, Black, & Blue stones.

Murf

Rough_Rock
Yeah I saw the reserve too, but wanted to post to give you an idea. Worst case is you decide you want that stone. Call Lesley and tell her. She can then inform her other POTENTIAL buyer they need to make a decision or release the diamond so someone else (you) can purchase. It may or may not work, but that is how I would approach the situation.

Another option BGD has is what the call an Advance Selection. You set the criteria, they find a stone and then cut to their Signature standards, etc. Not sure your timeline, but it may take a little longer since they don't have it sitting in their safe like their other Signature, Black, & Blue stones.

Got it, thank you. I have time until middle of August to be exact.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Total for the ring I’d like to spend $7000cad, but I do have room to move on that a little. The diamond I posted is $5200usd, already puts me over budget. I’m looking for a good mix of white light return and fire, I don’t mind if I have to sacrifice some fire though. I’m dealing with a wholesaler for that diamond, that was the best option of the ones I was given. I can always ask for more options, but I thought that was a good choice for what I’m looking for. Ideally if I’m going to go with this particular wholesaler and I’m paying a small deposit to bring in the stone, it would have to be the right one. That’s what’s putting me off right now bringing in that stone. I have also contacted others, once I see what they offer I can make a decision.

Any 'wholesaler' selling to the general public (acquaintance/friend or not) is not really a wholesaler. This board has seen many a post from people that have bought from 'family friends' and not got a good deal or been left with a stone that fell short of what they could have got!

That said, it seems as though you know what you are looking for and they are happy/able to bring in suitable AGS000 stones, so I am hopeful it will all turn out for the best if you do decide to go with them in the end.

Do not feel obliged to go with them just because you know them - business and pleasure are best kept separate!

Great find :)

SuperIdeal stones will be bright from edge to edge and therefore look bigger than less well-cut stones, although an AGS000 stone should be good!

Murf

Rough_Rock
Any 'wholesaler' selling to the general public (acquaintance/friend or not) is not really a wholesaler. This board has seen many a post from people that have bought from 'family friends' and not got a good deal or been left with a stone that fell short of what they could have got!

That said, it seems as though you know what you are looking for and they are happy/able to bring in suitable AGS000 stones, so I am hopeful it will all turn out for the best if you do decide to go with them in the end.

Do not feel obliged to go with them just because you know them - business and pleasure are best kept separate!

Great find :)

SuperIdeal stones will be bright from edge to edge and therefore look bigger than less well-cut stones, although an AGS000 stone should be good!

Thank you for the tip, you are absolutely right. This particular wholesaler for that stone I don’t no. But they a have a great reputation and are very helpful, offers lots of info, answers all my questions. Even goes to the extent of educating you, even gives advice on stones they are not selling, if you ask. If I do decide to go with them I will make an appointment and go into every detail of the stone I chose with them aset images etc, it’s part of their process that they go into every detail and educate you on what your buying. They don’t have stock of diamonds, they search and find the one for you based on what you asked for and budget, this one I chose out of 4 options. But I am still doing my due diligence before deciding of course. I am very great full for your advice and everyone else’s as well. It has really helped me out a lot.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the tip, you are absolutely right. This particular wholesaler for that stone I don’t no. But they a have a great reputation and are very helpful, offers lots of info, answers all my questions. Even goes to the extent of educating you, even gives advice on stones they are not selling, if you ask. If I do decide to go with them I will make an appointment and go into every detail of the stone I chose with them aset images etc, it’s part of their process that they go into every detail and educate you on what your buying. They don’t have stock of diamonds, they search and find the one for you based on what you asked for and budget, this one I chose out of 4 options. But I am still doing my due diligence before deciding of course. I am very great full for your advice and everyone else’s as well. It has really helped me out a lot.
It sounds they are one of the better vendors out there, so that is good news.

Don't forget that if you are considering GIA XXX stones at any point, use the HCA tool (in the tabs at the top of the forum) to check they have a score under 2 and are therefore worth looking at.

You may also be able to use the diamond search at the top of the forum to check if the stone they are putting forward is available elsewhere, and if so, what the price is. Or, if it's not listed, what other alternative options are listing at. This way you can help ensure that you are getting a price that is in line with other market prices.

Make sure to check that they have a returns policy that is good (i.e. 30 days to return for a full cash refund free of charge, no questions asked), and that the policy is in writing. You or someone else could email them to 'ask what your returns policy is' if it is not available in paper format or on their website (if they have a website). If it is on their website, PDF the page and email it to yourself, or send the PDF to them and ask them 'please may I check that there is definitely no charge to return a stone up to 30 days from purchase, and that a full cash refund will be given?'.

It could also be worth checking what their upgrade policy is, if any. As above, get it in writing if there is one.

Murf

Rough_Rock
It sounds they are one of the better vendors out there, so that is good news.

Don't forget that if you are considering GIA XXX stones at any point, use the HCA tool (in the tabs at the top of the forum) to check they have a score under 2 and are therefore worth looking at.

You may also be able to use the diamond search at the top of the forum to check if the stone they are putting forward is available elsewhere, and if so, what the price is. Or, if it's not listed, what other alternative options are listing at. This way you can help ensure that you are getting a price that is in line with other market prices.

Make sure to check that they have a returns policy that is good (i.e. 30 days to return for a full cash refund free of charge, no questions asked), and that the policy is in writing. You or someone else could email them to 'ask what your returns policy is' if it is not available in paper format or on their website (if they have a website). If it is on their website, PDF the page and email it to yourself, or send the PDF to them and ask them 'please may I check that there is definitely no charge to return a stone up to 30 days from purchase, and that a full cash refund will be given?'.

It could also be worth checking what their upgrade policy is, if any. As above, get it in writing if there is one.
Thank you for all that info, I really appreciate it. I emailed Brian Gavin about the other stone you recommend, I’m waiting on an answer.

Murf

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all that info, I really appreciate it. I emailed Brian Gavin about the other stone you recommend, I’m waiting on an answer.
They said it was sold :cry2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They said it was sold :cry2:
Good stock moves quickly - if you see one that ticks the boxes, call up and request it to be placed on hold while you talk to them about it!

Likewise, if someone posts a stone in this thread that you like, do the same - there are 'lurkers' who snap good stones up that are posted!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results