shape
carat
color
clarity

Lookeee what I got!!!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage said:
Tuckins, It's beautiful!!! Lucky you!! You might take a look at old world diamonds to see how comparable stones are priced. I don't see any listed as VVS2's. Here are some similar-ish ones:http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=2498&SHAPE=EU&PAGE=22 and http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=542&SHAPE=EU&PAGE=21 And, then there's this lovely ring from JBEG, an M/VS2: http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_vintage_and_reproduction_rings_page_2

Hmm, after comparing the the old world loose stones to the JBEG ring, seems the JBEG ring is a bargain!! I suspect you paid even less for your ring. Like I said, Lucky Girl!

I'm curious -- did the seller seem to think the setting was original? It doesn't look like a 1910 setting. Are there any markings or inscriptions?

To answer your question- the setting was not the original. He said his mother changed the setting back in the 70's or 80's to the setting you see now. I have no idea what it was set in before. I did price out stones, and it seems that we have gotten a phenomenal deal!! We ended up paying about $850 plus around $100 worth of ammo.... Totally worth it in my opinion!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome, Tuckins!!! You know, your purchase is all the more, I don't know what's the right word, charming, when you mention this stunning diamond was part paid in ammo! Cool deal. I am totally envious of your great deal!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
WOW!! It's gorgeous, and holy deal batman!!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a steal! It's a really pretty stone, too - I love the facet pattern. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all! I am open to suggestions, so any ideas are appreciated!!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Your great deal is totally making me green with envy! What a pretty, pretty stone at a fabulous price! I'm seeing a setting with some teeny French-cut side stones--some of Leon's recent work with them springs to mind.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tuckins, you DID steal that, you lucky girl!!!! What a gorgeous example of an antique cut stone!!!!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
You may have already had someone mention this- I didn't read all the replies- but IMO it is probably a later OEC or early transitional. The smaller culet, larger table and slightly longer LGFs are why I think that. You did good! It's really lovely. I bet it is a fireball! The nice high crown should help that :bigsmile:

Oh BTW- it *could* be a VVS2, but more than likely isn't anymore. Bearding and wear & tear is super, super common on old stones and most IF/VVS quality antique stones are in the VS range after many decades of being a ring. Since it's prong set that is even more possible. Not that it really matters at all for that price, lol!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
LittleGreyKitten said:
You may have already had someone mention this- I didn't read all the replies- but IMO it is probably a later OEC or early transitional. The smaller culet, larger table and slightly longer LGFs are why I think that. You did good! It's really lovely. I bet it is a fireball! The nice high crown should help that :bigsmile:

Oh BTW- it *could* be a VVS2, but more than likely isn't anymore. Bearding and wear & tear is super, super common on old stones and most IF/VVS quality antique stones are in the VS range after many decades of being a ring. Since it's prong set that is even more possible. Not that it really matters at all for that price, lol!

This stone was just evaluated in 2009 by an independent, very highly regarded appraiser who graded it as such. I don't think this ring was worn on a daily basis for a very very long time.... Mostly sat in jewelery boxes.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage said:
That's awesome, Tuckins!!! You know, your purchase is all the more, I don't know what's the right word, charming, when you mention this stunning diamond was part paid in ammo! Cool deal. I am totally envious of your great deal!

Definitely :bigsmile:

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1 said:
LittleGreyKitten said:

This stone was just evaluated in 2009 by an independent, very highly regarded appraiser who graded it as such. I don't think this ring was worn on a daily basis for a very very long time.... Mostly sat in jewelery boxes.
Sweet. Quite a rarity then. Yep, the ones in the best shape are the ones that were (sadly!) unloved, or brooches. Good thing *you* can give it the proper love it deserves now :Up_to_something:

As far as setting, since you got a screaming deal on it, are you up for a slightly pricier setting? If so, I'd vote Van Craeynest first, or a genuine antique setting. You can find *great* ones for that size of stone, with all the awesome workmanship they entail, for not much $. (In fact sometimes in the process you end up finding something that's priced @ your setting budget but has an "extra" stone in it, which you can then resell or do something else with.)

Oh or Greenlake Jewelers. They have the absolute best engraving out there IMO, as good as actual antique. They also do a nice modern wire "filigree" that is quite pretty.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
LittleGreyKitten said:
Tuckins1 said:
LittleGreyKitten said:

Sweet. Quite a rarity then. Yep, the ones in the best shape are the ones that were (sadly!) unloved, or brooches. Good thing *you* can give it the proper love it deserves now :Up_to_something:

As far as setting, since you got a screaming deal on it, are you up for a slightly pricier setting? If so, I'd vote Van Craeynest first, or a genuine antique setting. You can find *great* ones for that size of stone, with all the awesome workmanship they entail, for not much $. (In fact sometimes in the process you end up finding something that's priced @ your setting budget but has an "extra" stone in it, which you can then resell or do something else with.)

Oh or Greenlake Jewelers. They have the absolute best engraving out there IMO, as good as actual antique. They also do a nice modern wire "filigree" that is quite pretty.

Definitely feeling the filigree, antique-ish setting! I don't think I want anything blingy- probably no sidestones. I really want the stone to be the center of attention. I don't know if i'm going to go the designer route because of budget... I want to try to trade the existing gold setting toward the cost of the new setting. Do PS vendors do that? I know a few jewelers locally who do great custom work. Perhaps I can take a design idea to them and have them tweak it. I luuurve VC settings, that would be awesome if I could find some deal on a used setting or something!!
ETA- gonna run over and check Greenlake settings now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results