shape
carat
color
clarity

Look what I found...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Just when I was about to give up finding a oec, I found these. I just went to a little antique jewelry store to see some earrings and asked about oec. He pulled out some stones. They were different sizes of oec, with a couple of omc. I looked at the 2 biggest and just fell in love. Now I''m far from being very knowledgeable, but I louped them and they looked pretty darn clean. The jeweler also said they looked pretty clean. And they looked pretty white. He said the oec looks to be around a G color. while the omc has just a hint of warmth. He gave me such a good price that I had to have them both.

When I got home, I really looked over them and compared it to my stone that is G in color. Looks pretty white to me. Hopefully I''ll set them something in the near future. Sorry for a long post, but I am really excited. If I would''ve known about these long before, I would have bought some. Now they are far and few left. Heres a couple pics.

oldstone.jpg

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the omc....

omc1.jpg

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
and here is the oec...

dlkoec.jpg

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I love antique cut stones, they have so much personality!

Congrats! more pics please.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
God! Those are BEAUTIFUL. Seriously great buy! Can''t wait to see how you set them!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Oh they are beautiful! I am so jealous! So how are you going to set them.... I''m so excited!

*M*

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Jelly. I agree. I really love the cushion cut, and after seeing an oec, I couldn''t believe how much I liked them. There is something about chunky facets and the big culet that really draws me in. And I love how they were cut by hand, no guide lines. So each stone is different and unique. No two have the same facets.

Thank you gypsy. Now that I have them, I am in no rush. I know I''ll set them in a ring. What kind of ring will be determined.

Poptart...thanks for helping on another post. I just got real lucky. I wasn''t even thinking about them until I was about to leave the store. I didn''t think they were going to have them. They are just a little store that buys and sells jewelry.

Here are just a few more pics.
35.gif

hnd1.jpg

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
and....
30.gif

hnd2.jpg

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Those old mine cuts really get ya, don''t they? I guess you have shown us all the trick for finding them... just keep asking! Congrats again.

*M*

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh GG! How FUN was THAT??! Congratulations, they are both beau-tee-ful!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Can''t wait to see what you decide to do with them!
36.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lynn. I know I want to put one of the stones with trilliant side sapphires. Now to decide which one is the problem. The oec is around .31 and the mine cut is around .42. It looks like the oec is a little shallow. The jeweler said the omc is cut a little deep, but I kind of knew old cuts tend to be deep cut.
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gothgrrl. Those are awesome! I love them! i can''t wait to see them set!

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
I''m in LOVE!!! I''m such a diamond newbie(but learning fast), so can someone tell me why they stopped making OEC? And what is an old miner''s cut? Are there any other extinct cuts out there?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great find gothgirl!!! I am such a huge fan of the older cuts. Have fun with them. Can''t wait to see how you set them, etc...
30.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Fashionvictim, the omc are more cushion shaped with chunky facets and open culet. Then they came out with oec. Same cutting style of the omc, but round. I think the oec are around the 19th century. The oec are a crude version of the round brilliant you see today. Cut better for maximum brilliance, light return, etc. Now from what I was told, they are now recutting those stone to the round brilliants of today. I think it''s a shame because there are people who love old cuts.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very cool find!! I wore my OEC ring today, and I was thinking today how much I love it!!

cheers--Sharon

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Gothgrrl, first of all, ooh I would love to be you. What a great find and they are beautiful and they certainly look white on my monitor. Congrats.

Now, for the generic hijack. All of you who do this, how do you get the courage to buy? How do you know that what they are selling you is a diamond? I mean, like pawnshops and stuff, how do you know? I know this is probably the dumbest question ever but really I would love to hunt and peek at the local places, but I worry about buying something thinking it''s a diamond and it ends up not. Any help appreciated.

shay

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 11:29:13 PM
Author: Shay37
Gothgrrl, first of all, ooh I would love to be you. What a great find and they are beautiful and they certainly look white on my monitor. Congrats.

Now, for the generic hijack. All of you who do this, how do you get the courage to buy? How do you know that what they are selling you is a diamond? I mean, like pawnshops and stuff, how do you know? I know this is probably the dumbest question ever but really I would love to hunt and peek at the local places, but I worry about buying something thinking it''s a diamond and it ends up not. Any help appreciated.

shay
Not dumb, I''ve wondered the same things myself....

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 11:29:13 PM
Author: Shay37

shay
Good question! I guess it all relies on trusting the person who is selling it to you, as well as knowing a good stone when you see one (but fakes are SO prevalent these days). Hmm, well, I''ll use a personal experience. My mom and I had been looking all over the city for antique jewelry stores around Christmas time. We finally found one, talked to the owner, and just really came to trust her. She has such a love of old pieces and of finding quality pieces that you really feel she''s doing something she loves. So my mom bought this ruby ring for me there for my birthday (it''s got three rose cut diamonds on each side too... yum!), and who''s to say it''s real or not, ya know? But she just made you FEEL comfortable, and her place looked reputable and was recommended as well. I also took what little knowledge I had and questioned her, to make sure she knew her stuff, so I felt confident, too. Anyway, I guess for me it comes down to gut feelings. Sometimes you just KNOW that the rock/person/store can''t be trusted.

*M*

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Gothgrrl!!! What great finds!!

They''re both beautiful, from what I can see...but I must confess I''m SO partial to OMCs lately!!! Yours looks fabulous!
30.gif

congratulations!

widget

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reading your post makes me wanna go out and hit the antique shops RIGHT NOW!!!! I''ve been chomping at the bit for an OEC or OMC....your finds are exquisite. I especially love the OMC. I''m such a sucker for those romantic, giant facets.
30.gif
30.gif

Dreamy, I tell ya!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 7:14:35 PM
Author: Gothgrrl
Here is the omc....
omg every time I see one of these I just swoon!!! I love it!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 7:16:21 PM
Author: Gothgrrl
and here is the oec...
wow that crown i sooooooo tiny!!!!!! amazing!!! are you chosing between them or making a non-matchy pair of earrings? I could see myself doing that LOL

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow -- what a fabulous find! I can''t wait to see what you decide to do with them!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
WOW! Can you say ''jel-ous!" What a find!

Can''t wait to see the process to come ~ lucky girl ;-)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 10:15:59 PM
Author: Fashionvictim
I''m in LOVE!!! I''m such a diamond newbie(but learning fast), so can someone tell me why they stopped making OEC? And what is an old miner''s cut? Are there any other extinct cuts out there?
they''re not extinct exactly... they''re not cut quite the same as they were and a new cut oec might be harder?? to find but you can find OMC looking stones under "cushion". I bought one... the lgf are a bit longer and I got one that isn''t square.... then again my gia cert says old mine brilliant and not old mine cut.... you can see the pic in my avatar... I love my stone :) BTW there are some cutters who cut this sort of thing still but it''s difficult to source them...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 12:28:40 AM
Author: KristyDarling
Reading your post makes me wanna go out and hit the antique shops RIGHT NOW!!!! I''ve been chomping at the bit for an OEC or OMC....your finds are exquisite. I especially love the OMC. I''m such a sucker for those romantic, giant facets.
30.gif
30.gif

Dreamy, I tell ya!
you should get one! they''re great fun! the other morning some light was coming in the window across and down from my bed and I took the stone and played with the light sending rainbows about 12'' on the ceiling :D By the time they''d gone that far the rainbow must have been at least 8 or 10 inches long.... directly over my bed you could see a ton but the two biggest facets really go distance! how fun!!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, congrats!!! Great find! THat OEC looks like a firecracker! I can''t wait to hear what you''re thinking about doing with them!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow...thanks everybody! Cehrabehra, No I''m not going to make earrings. I bought them both. The omc is just a bit off in symmetry, but the sparkle it gives off is worth it. The price on both stones were really good, and he even gave me a more discount since I was thinking of buying both. I probably will make 2 rings out of them. At first I was thinking of omc with trilliant sapphires and putting the oec into a pendant. But I think 2 rings. Somehow I can''t get enough of rings.

Facetfire, thank you for all your help. The jeweler had a .59 oec, and it was really beautiful, but the culet was very small. I wanted a large culet. Now if I could find a bigger stone, that would be sweet.
31.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I could see the OEC in an art deco type setting with the halo of sapphires or rubies...and I love the idea of trillions for the OMC!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results