shape
carat
color
clarity

longtime lurker, but now i''m engaged

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jackieomy

Rough_Rock
Hey all,
I stumbled upon pricescope almost a year ago, trying to soothe my madness about when my guy was going to propose. I''ve followed all your stories, but didn''t want to get on the list, for fear I would never get to the top.

Now, I''m too late to be a LIW -- my guy proposed to me last night! My family and his family were in town for the holiday, and I was able to break away from work for dinner. We had a lovely dinner at a French dinner, and after the meal, he proposed. My response: You''re serious? Yes! Man, and I have to go back to work!

We have an heirloom diamond that I just wasn''t wanting to spring from the safety desposit box, so he gave me a simple band. So, we''ll be looking for a setting soon.

And here''s my question. What setting should I get? The diamond we have is a transition cut, 1 carat, F color, VVS1. It throws off lots of pretty colors.

I''ve tried on lots of styles, but not with my diamond. There was a great thread a few months ago that asked people something along the lines of "if you could set a 1 carat round diamond in any setting, which would you choose?" I tried searching that thread and couldn''t find it ...

So, anyone want to shoot me some inspiration?
Thanks!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome and congratulations! You are so lucky to already have a beautiful stone waiting for you!

I think a good place to start looking at settings is the in the Show Me the Ring forum, and there are a tons of setting from many of the PSers. Here''s the link https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/.

Also, this is a page full of designers that is also on the Pricescope website. https://www.pricescope.com/designers.aspx

Be sure to keep us filled in on what you decide!

*M*

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!

luvinlife

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your engagement......oh the excitement!
30.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Have fun shopping for your setting!!
36.gif

jackieomy

Rough_Rock
thanks so much! as i said, i''ve been hanging around the boards for a long time, feeling many of the same feelings most of you guys have. it''s been an invaluable resource, educational and also a little guilty-pleasure reading. i found myself having to ration my time on the boards -- i''m glad to be able to chime in now!

does anyone remember the ring thread i was talking about, that was dedicated to making the perfect solitaire using a round diamond? if you find it, could you link to it?

hope everyone''s still enjoying t-day leftovers!

jackieomy

Rough_Rock
Charger, that''s it! Thanks so much.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
congrats on your engagment!
1.gif

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Are you looking for a modern setting or perhaps a vintage setting? My favourite is a vintage tiffany inspired setting made by Quest jewelers for mrssalvo. Another poster Chrono bought the setting as the stone had been damaged and had Quest bezel set her stone. I don''t know which I like more they''re both gorgeous.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
questcustomset1.jpg

Copy%20of%20Adrian%20View%201A.JPG

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Right to an engaged girl, nice work!

I am picturing a transitional cut as not being totally old fashioned but not being totally modern either, am I right? If so, I love some of the vintage looks or maybe a pave halo if done properly to sort of bridge the gap between old and new, since the name of the cut implies to me that it is a bit of both....how exciting for you!

therighttime

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!!! And welcome out of lurkdom! :)

jackieomy

Rough_Rock
Nothing like an engagement to lure a gal out of lurkdom, eh, therighttime? And silly silly me, Charger, not including a photo of the stone! I'll charge up my camera and then practice my diamond photography skills.

To me, LisaC, the transition cut is a nice bridge between antique and modern, so I think I could go either way with the setting.

A setting I llluuuurve is an A. Jaffe bezel (I'm trying to attach a pic). I like this setting as well as the one with diamonds down the shank. But I worry that the bezel won't showcase the diamond best.

And diamondfan, I have had my eye on a pave halo, but then worry about finding a wedding band that works well with it. … I like the symmetry of two bands sandwiching the halo, but I’m not sure I want that much on my shortish fingers.

I'm heading out to try on rings this week -- I'll keep everyone posted. And if anyone has more inspiration, I'm certainly open to ideas!

jackieomy

Rough_Rock
Here are the A. Jaffe settings.

ajaffe2jgf.JPG

jackieomy

Rough_Rock
One more A. Jaffe. Another thing I''m thinking about is the sparkle factor with the setting. In Jewish law, technically the wedding band should be free of stones. So, I''m looking for something that will stand out but look nice with a plain band. ... And then, of course, as an anniversary present in the future, I''ll get a nice eternity band. Man, I''m obsessed!
26.gif

ajaffe1jgf.JPG

jackieomy

Rough_Rock
I should confess that while my pre-engagement stay on the LIW boards was nonexistant, I had been a comrade LIW, albeit a silent one, for a while. My fiance
36.gif
and I have been together for two and a half years, living together for one and a half years. We had talked about marriage and kids and all that, but I never was privy to a timetable. He''s in the middle of a career change and he always said that he wanted to have a stable job before proposing.

About two months ago, right before I took a trip to Italy with my mom, he gave me a riddle:

Him: One, two or three? Pick one.
Me: What?
Him: Pick one.
Me: No hints?
Him: No, pick one.
Me: Um, two.
Him: Old or new?
Me: Um, old.

Then, about a month ago, he asked for my parents'' number, so he could call my mom to ask her about teaching (his new career). Turns out he asked for my hand instead (or as well, as they did talk about teaching so as to help keep the story straight.)

After the call, I had a pretty significant freakout, and asked him (at about 2 a.m.) if we were going to get married, and when he thought that might be happening. He assured me we were, but that he wanted to get a permanent job, and that maybe we''d go look for a ring after the holidays. So, I put it out of my mind (although I did hope that he was just being sneaky and would ask sooner.)

He proposed the day after Thanksgiving, at dinner with all of our families. It was so sweet, I was super surprised, so much so that my first response at seeing a box with a gold band in it was "ARE YOU SERIOUS????!!!" After he nodded, I squealed "Yes!" and was promptly blinded by all of our families'' camera flashes. Then, we got to enjoy dessert, be all schmoopy and then I headed back to work, an engaged woman.

Turns out, the 1, 2, or 3 was how many months would go by before he proposed, and old/new was old diamond v. new diamond. Sneaky boy!

elsie

Shiny_Rock
Awww... that is such a cute story! Congratulations!
36.gif

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried on the A jaffe setting? Both variations are quite striking. I guess now is the hard part- actually deciding upon the setting.
1.gif

jackieomy

Rough_Rock
I did try the A. Jaffe settings, and I was in love. It was a few months ago, though, so I want to see it again. And, if we do go that route, I think I''ll order it online istead of from a BM store.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you keep things very thin and delicate I think it can look great!

jackieomy

Rough_Rock
oops, double post.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results