shape
carat
color
clarity

Long time lurker needs major help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondDeenie

Rough_Rock
I have been lurking for quite some time now, trying to gain as much knowledge as I possibly can. I have learned so much - thank you to all of you who helped me without even knowing it!! Anyhow, my FF and I are now looking for rings - I was NOT prepared for the stress involved in all of this and quite frankly, the more diamonds I see, the more confused I become. So, I was hoping that all of you could possibly help me in what is quickly becoming a very difficult decision! I just came back from a cutter, I was going in to view a particular stone - that turned out to be a dud, however, he showed me something else -
Specs:
GIA
D SI2
Cut grade - very good
Polish - good
Symmetry - good
1.26 carat
measurements - 7.00 - 7.13 x 4.18mm
I have a copy of the GIA cert and ran the #''''s through the cut advisor, came up a 0.7 - Excellent across the board.

I had orignally been looking for something a tad larger, but after seeing this stone I have decided to take it under serious consideration. The only thing that is truly bothering me with this stone is the Polish and Symmetry rating of good. I couldn''''t see anything wrong with the stone. It was beautifully clear and sparkly, but I worry (my eye sight isn''''t that great) perhaps I''''m missing something that someone else wouldn''''t?

To make matters more confusing, my FF and I are going to Tiffany''''s this weekend to look at the Lucida. (I fell in love with the cut several months ago) But I know if we end up with Tiffany, I''''ll be lucky if I get anything over a carat and better than I in color (not that there''''s anything wrong with I). I love, love, love Tiffany, but is it really worth it??

Does anyone have any advice, at all? I''''m looking to make a decision this week.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

If you could post the actual crown and pavillion angles that would help and also the depth, table and girdle thickness- good score on the cut advisor though. This looks to be a decent cut - not a tightly crafted Superideal, but it might look very nice! The diameter is looser than we normally see around here, but post the other info as that will help. If it is eyeclean also in different lights and also looks good in various light conditions then that is the main thing if it speaks to you! If you have an Idealscope tool or if the vendor could get an Idealscope image, that would help to determine how well this diamond handles light. We are used to seeing the cream of the crop superduperideals here, however there is a place and a market for the more traditional " nice makes" which this could be. Some also prefer higher grades of polish and symmetry too, although it is said good and above look the same to the naked untrained eye, this can be of great importance and expected in a Superideal cut. Also it depends on what matters to you regarding the little blue box. Tiffany sell well cut diamonds, but as you know you will pay for the name. You can find something ( perhaps this one) which will look as good, which will cost you less and be larger, depends on your priorities!

DiamondDeenie

Rough_Rock
the depth is 59.2%, table 58%, crown 33 degrees, pavillion 40.8 degrees

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, thanks. It appears to be the ' nice make" type of diamond I mentioned earlier and it probably looks good! I would see about getting an Idealscope image to confirm what you are seeing - it will help to determine whether a diamond is leaking light and thus losing performance as a very basic explanation. Or you could just buy with your eyes and heart if you love it. As you have seen it you would be able to decide whether this is the diamond for you or not. One thing I would ask is what is the grading inclusion type, location, colour, visibility and size as it is an SI2. Do also check this diamond out in various lights, some inclusions aren't apparent in some lights but pop out in others. Also I don't know if Tiffany sells below a VS in clarity which is another consideration. I take it this diamond is with a jeweller? I wouldn't rush this decision personally, I would look to see what Tiffs have before commiting yourself as you say you love them so much - if the premium and the deal with them is acceptable of course! You might be aware that concerning the other diamond, you could drop the colour to perhaps a G or H if you wanted to keep looking and still have a very white diamond. I thought I would toss that out as you would consider an I with Tiffany and D's carry a premium.

DiamondDeenie

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help. I louped the stone and saw a few dots which matched up perfectly with the cert, absolutely clean though, to the naked eye. I was in an office building on the 17th floor (I''m in NYC), but I checked it under a desk lamp, the regular office lighting and stood next to the window with it. He''s not a jeweller, it was the cutter who sells to the jewelers. There was definitely sparkle there each time. I didn''t set out looking for a D, it just sort of fell into my lap. I guess I''m just really confused at this point. I looked at 2 stones last week, both GIA excellents, one was an H and one an I, they were 1.37 and 1.36 respectively. There (I was at a jewelers that USA Cert sent me to) I was able to check them out in the sunlight. They looked great, but after seeing the D, I definitely can tell the difference now. The D was just so clear as opposed to the other two, which had much more "body". To make matters worse, the diamond was on it''s way to the cutter''s father in Israel. He opened the package which was on it''s way to be shipped just to show me the stone. He''s expecting an answer by Monday. He does not have the ability to do the idealscope. I was so elated when he showed me the stone, then he gave me the price and I was even more elated. I just don''t want to make a "bad" decision, but truth be told, I''m tired of looking!! My FF''s mother is in the hospital on a ventilator right now, she''s been there a month and may never come home, so our time is limited (we go and see her just about every day). With all the stress I have I just don''t know if I''m capable of making the right decision.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2007 2:41:28 PM
Author: DiamondDeenie
Thank you for your help. I louped the stone and saw a few dots which matched up perfectly with the cert, absolutely clean though, to the naked eye. I was in an office building on the 17th floor (I'm in NYC), but I checked it under a desk lamp, the regular office lighting and stood next to the window with it. He's not a jeweller, it was the cutter who sells to the jewelers. There was definitely sparkle there each time. I didn't set out looking for a D, it just sort of fell into my lap. I guess I'm just really confused at this point. I looked at 2 stones last week, both GIA excellents, one was an H and one an I, they were 1.37 and 1.36 respectively. There (I was at a jewelers that USA Cert sent me to) I was able to check them out in the sunlight. They looked great, but after seeing the D, I definitely can tell the difference now. The D was just so clear as opposed to the other two, which had much more 'body'. To make matters worse, the diamond was on it's way to the cutter's father in Israel. He opened the package which was on it's way to be shipped just to show me the stone. He's expecting an answer by Monday. He does not have the ability to do the idealscope. I was so elated when he showed me the stone, then he gave me the price and I was even more elated. I just don't want to make a 'bad' decision, but truth be told, I'm tired of looking!! My FF's mother is in the hospital on a ventilator right now, she's been there a month and may never come home, so our time is limited (we go and see her just about every day). With all the stress I have I just don't know if I'm capable of making the right decision.

I am so sorry you are going through all this stress and my prayers go out to you and your FF's Mother and family.

The area I highlighted above makes me wonder if you might have found your diamond; you have seen others and then you felt elation when you saw this diamond - that to me means it might be a possibility. How would you feel if it was snatched away from you? That might help you to make a decision. However don't get it because it seems like the best one and you are tired of looking, get it if you love it and can't wait to wear it! You have a lot on your plate right now, if you feel you are going to grab because you want a diamond, then I would wait. There are many many diamonds out there and you will find another one to love if that is what you decide.

DiamondDeenie

Rough_Rock
Thank you. That definitely gives me something to think about. I just found out that ERD is located here in NYC, just seconds from me. I''m going to contact them and see if they can possibly help me. Dealing with lists and looking at #''s is just too much for me! Maybe he even knows the cutter and can view the stone to give me his opinion! Thank you so much for your help.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome, I was glad to help! GREAT idea with Mark at ERD, he will definitely be able to help you! He has a great rep here and those who have worked with him had a wonderful experience and really liked him and the way he does business. Let us know how you get on!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results