shape
carat
color
clarity

London Blue Topaz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
Hi. I don''t own any topaz and was thinking about getting a london blue topaz ring. I understand it is an 8 on the hardness chart. Should a london blue be bezel set if it is going to be worn daily? I have been reading other posts and learned that Zircon was brittle. Is london blue brittle? I would love any feedback anyone could give. I have recently seen a london blue and fell in love with it. Also the stones I have seen are rather on the less expensive side verses a sapphire. Is this normal or am I looking at "cheap" stones??
33.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Hi. I don''t own any topaz and was thinking about getting a london blue topaz ring. I understand it is an 8 on the hardness chart. Should a london blue be bezel set if it is going to be worn daily? I have been reading other posts and learned that Zircon was brittle. Is london blue brittle? I would love any feedback anyone could give. I have recently seen a london blue and fell in love with it. Also the stones I have seen are rather on the less expensive side verses a sapphire. Is this normal or am I looking at ''cheap'' stones??
33.gif
[/quote]

Ok... 8 is a nice little hardness... My spess is a 7.5 and I do not worry too much about it chipping. I have heard the same for a zircon.(being brittle and being best.. NOT worn in a ring.. but ok in pendants). )which I belive is a 6? But I may be wrong. Like any stone you have to be careful about how you use/abuse it. I do not wear my ring when I am working outside or doing something that is tough (with my hands)

Sapphires and Topaz are two different ball games. Just because a stone does not cost as much as another.. it does not ness. mean that it is a ''cheap'' stone. There are some die hard sapphire lovers here that absolutely ADORE sapphire and they have some amzingly beautiful collections to boot. Keep in mind that London Blue topaz is treated.. as is many stones, including sapphire. Treatment does not equal bad though... I am going to search around and get some more information on the treatment for you.. I think that it is radiated.... and that is what gives it that rich blue color.

I am also goo goo over the topaz... I love the swiss and lodan blue as well...!!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind too.. that there are many different reasons for price difference.. Availibilty, From palagems.com "The prices of topaz are, like any gem, dependent on quality. Still, a few generalizations can be made. Blue topaz, the most common variety seen in jewelry today, has been produced in such quantities that today it is generally available for $25/ct. at retail for ring sizes." rarity, how hard it is to mine, where it can be found... and the basics if economics.. higher demand=higher prices.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here are some sites you may find of interest..
http://www.gemhut.com/btopaz.htm

ONE of my favorite basic info sites..
http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/topaz.html

More info:
http://www.fancieface.com/btrings/blue_topaz_gemstone_rings.html

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here is some info about enhancement...(for topaz) I found it on Palagems.com

"As previously mentioned, several varieties of topaz are typically enhanced. Most common is the combination irradiation/heat treatment that produces blue topaz. For this treatment, colorless topaz is irradiated, turning it brown. The stone is then heat treated, which turns it blue. While the brown color is generally unstable, fading with prolonged exposure to sunlight, the blue color is generally stable under normal wearing conditions.
     There are three main flavors. The first, a “sky” blue, is produced by gamma rays (cobalt 60). Deeper “Swiss (a.k.a. ‘windex’) ” and “London” blues are produced by high-energy electrons (cyclotron) or nuclear radiation. In the latter case, the stones must be allowed to cool down to safe levels of radioactivity before being sold. This typically takes a few months to as much as two years.
     Another treatment seen on occasion with topaz is bulk diffusion, where stones are heated for long periods surrounded by cobalt. This drives the cobalt into a thin layer at the surface, turning it green to blue. The layer is extremely thin.
     Finally, some topaz is coated with metallic oxides, similar to the coatings on camera lenses. This produces various colors and rainbow-like reflections, but the coatings are easily scratched. The material has been marketed under the name “rainbow” topaz."

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
and of course some difference in colors...

Topaz, swiss topaz and london topaz

yummtopaz.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
And for some little eye candy

londonblueyummy.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
and more candy for the eyes

cooltopazblue.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
One site called this london blue... hmmm

somoeonecallseLBtopaz.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here is one that I just thought was cool.. I know it is not even London blue.. but cool none the less..

rainbowtopaz.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Kinda neat topaz

kindaneatbltopaz.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Found a website that says that zircon is a 7.5 hardness.. but I am know that they are chip easily... (girdle and facets) maybe from how they made up.. I am not sure.. hopefully some experts can chime in... But they same page had this information :Zircon is somewhat soft so avoid scratches and sharp blows. Avoid hot water and household chemicals.

Brown Zicon is usually heat treated to change them to colorless or blue Zircon. Blue stones that revert to brown will regain the blue if reheated. Blue Zircon reheated in the presence of oxygen will change to a golden yellow.

Zircon will have more wear on its facets than diamond. Zircon is imitated by colorless glass and synthetic spinel.

It was found on this page:
http://www.shgresources.com/gems/stones/zircon/

zrconblue.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here is a small hint as to why people love sapphires... these are absolutley yummy Kashmir sapphire

kashmirsapphire.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
sorry about all the posts.. I STILL have no idea how to post multi pics.. One last pic of a Kashmir sapphire... Hope some of this helps!! Keep up updated!!!

anithkasmir.jpg

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/3/2005 12:08:32 PM
Author: MINE!!
One site called this london blue... hmmm

I saw the company that is selling this one as a london blue. I couldn''t believe the price. Seemed rather cheap to me. I almost want to buy one just to see how it looks. Seems grey to me. Maybe just a bad pick?

Thanks again for all the info. I think I will have to put some thought into what I want. I want EVERYTHING but my paycheck won''t allow that so I will have to think about it.
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh i love the grey blue tint....drooling. Thanks MINE for posting it
30.gif

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
That stone in a 6mm (I think I am remembering correctly) was something crazy like $14.00. I may just buy one to see what it really looks like. I just can''t get over the price! LOL! Is topaz really that cheap??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results