shape
carat
color
clarity

London Blue Topaz?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Where is a good place to find quality London Blue Topaz? Platinumrock''s birthstone thread got me thinking, a ring with hubby''s birthstone would be really cool... someday, but why not plan now?
31.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
RB, what a great idea!
36.gif
It never occured to me to wear my husband''s birthstone, and he is also a blue topaz December baby! Harriet''s link is a great site. You can also try Jewelry Television''s website. They carry a lot of loose blue topaz.

What shape are you interested in, and in what carat weight?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ACstones.com has some very well cut material. FYI: 99% of blue topaz is irradiated (bombarded with subatomic particles) white topaz. Irradiation is used to acheive that color.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 4:07:04 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
ACstones.com has some very well cut material. FYI: 99% of blue topaz is irradiated (bombarded with subatomic particles) white topaz. Irradiation is used to acheive that color.

TL, you are right. Natural blue topaz is very, very, very rare in nature. And when you find one, excpect to shell out a few months worth of mortage payments.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 4:10:02 PM
Author: platinumrock

TL, you are right. Natural blue topaz is very, very, very rare in nature. And when you find one, excpect to shell out a few months worth of mortage payments.
Thanks PR.

Here''s a natural blue colored one. The natural ones are typically very light in saturation. This dealer is a recommended vendor by several Pricescoper''s.

http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=579

This one is about $25/ct. Irradiated blue topaz wholesales for around $5/ct.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 4:14:59 PM

Thanks PR.

Here''s a natural blue colored one. The natural ones are typically very light in saturation. This dealer is a recommended vendor by several Pricescoper''s.

TL, I may have missed something about natural blue topaz, but how can an 18 ct. natural blue be $475? Did I confuse its rarity with natural pink topaz? I really thought a natural blue would be in the thousands.

Which is the rarest and most expensive natural color in the topaz family?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 4:18:44 PM

Thanks PR.

Here's a natural blue colored one. The natural ones are typically very light in saturation. This dealer is a recommended vendor by several Pricescoper's.

TL, I may have missed something about natural blue topaz, but how can an 18 ct. natural blue be $475? Did I confuse its rarity with natural pink topaz? I really thought a natural blue would be in the thousands.

PR,
Natural blue topaz is more expensive than irradiated blue topaz, but it is not the most expensive form of topaz. The most expensive is imperial topaz. Imperial topaz is a pinky/peach (your favorites!!) color, and the most valuable form of imperial topaz lends itself toward the more pink and red tones. This should not be confused with red or pink colored topaz that is coated to get that color. Be leary of all the color coated topaz on the market today in every shade of the rainbow!! The coating will come off with time.

Sorry to digress, just some food for thought since we're discussing topaz.
1.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 4:24:00 PM

Thanks PR.

PR,
Natural blue topaz is more expensive than irradiated blue topaz, but it is not the most expensive form of topaz. The most expensive is imperial topaz. Imperial topaz is a pinky/peach (your favorites!!) color, and the most valuable form of imperial topaz lends itself toward the more pink and red tones. This should not be confused with red or pink colored topaz that is coated to get that color. Be leary of all the color coated topaz on the market today in every shade of the rainbow!! The coating will come off with time.

Sorry to digress, just some food for thought since we''re discussing topaz.
1.gif
Ohhhh...thanks for the clarification, TL! I know that Imperial Topaz is a rare and a prized color, especially the deeper, more intense peachy/pinkish/reddish/purple hues...but I really thought that blue was more rare in nature. That''s interesting!

I would love to own an intense/vivid/deep colored reddish salmony Imperial Topaz (my birthstone, YAY!), but I just can''t justify its price.
15.gif

They sure are pretty though!

Sorry for the threadjack, Rubybeth, but this discussion about topaz is very informative for me! You can definitely count on Tourmalive_Lover to school you on gemstones.
31.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
My understanding is that "London Blue Topaz" refers to the irradiated material. The resulting colour, incidentally, is stable.

platinumrock,
With due respect to Tourmaline Lover''s knowledge, I don''t think one can count on a person to educate one on gemstones. There''s nothing like seeing and handling gem after gem.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 5:00:11 PM
Author: Harriet
My understanding is that ''London Blue Topaz'' refers to the irradiated material. The resulting colour, incidentally, is stable.

platinumrock,
With due respect to Tourmaline Lover''s knowledge, I don''t think one can count on a person to educate one on gemstones. There''s nothing like seeing and handling gem after gem.

Harriet, I appreciate your feedback and your helpful intentions. And you are right, one shouldn''t count on just one person to get education on gemstones. If my intention was to question someone''s knowledge about gemstones, I can easily do my own online or real-life research about a gemstone''s history and rarity. Then I''d come back and try to refute that poster''s knowledge. I could even go as far as seek posters who are only certified gemologists. Are they truly more knowledgeable because they studied gemstones and took classes?

I do, however, disagree with your tendency to single out certain posters just because you think that their theory is unwarranted. You tend to do that with Tourmaline_Lover. Do you also do this with other posters with whom you feel are more or less knowledgeable than you are?

My interest in gemstones is mostly for the fun and novelty. I don''t have the interest or energy to get into long competitive debates about who knows more and who has a better source of information. It''s my perrogative if I want to support someone''s opinion, warranted or not.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 5:25:44 PM
Harriet, I appreciate your feedback and your helpful intentions. And you are right, one shouldn't count on just one person to get education on gemstones. If my intention was to question someone's knowledge about gemstones, I can easily do my own online or real-life research about a gemstone's history and rarity. Then I'd come back and try to refute that poster's knowledge. I could even go as far as seek posters who are only certified gemologists. Are they truly more knowledgeable because they studied gemstones and took classes?
No, not necessarily. Field experience, as has been drummed into me by various trade members, is invaluable. Sadly, I lack that.

I do, however, disagree with your tendency to single out certain posters just because you think that their theory is unwarranted. You tend to do that with Tourmaline_Lover. Do you also do this with other posters with whom you feel are more or less knowledgeable than you are?
Tourmaline Lover's self-declared mission is to "educate" us Pricescopers on gems. If I see an inaccuracy in what she states, I will point it out. I hate to see people misguided. As for other posters, more knowledgeable or otherwise, I will do the same and have done the same. And I would welcome being corrected myself if I were wrong. I don't mean to attack Tourmaline Lover personally, just her erroneous statements.

My interest in gemstones is mostly for the fun and novelty. I don't have the interest or energy to get into long competitive debates about who knows more and who has a better source of information. It's my perrogative if I want to support someone's opinion, warranted or not.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 5:46:54 PM

Date: 2/22/2009 5:25:44 PM
Harriet, I appreciate your feedback and your helpful intentions. And you are right, one shouldn''t count on just one person to get education on gemstones. If my intention was to question someone''s knowledge about gemstones, I can easily do my own online or real-life research about a gemstone''s history and rarity. Then I''d come back and try to refute that poster''s knowledge. I could even go as far as seek posters who are only certified gemologists. Are they truly more knowledgeable because they studied gemstones and took classes?
No, not necessarily. Field experience, as has be drummed into me by various trade members, is invaluable. Sadly, I lack that.

Tourmaline Lover''s self-declared mission is to ''educate'' us Pricescopers on gems. If I see an inaccuracy in what she states, I will point it out. I hate to see people misguided. As for other posters, more knowledgeable or otherwise, I will do the same and have done the same. And I would welcome being corrected myself if I were wrong. I don''t mean to attack Tourmaline Lover personally, just her erroneous statements.

My interest in gemstones is mostly for the fun and novelty. I don''t have the interest or energy to get into long competitive debates about who knows more and who has a better source of information. It''s my perrogative if I want to support someone''s opinion, warranted or not.
But isn''t that the purpose of Pricescope? To collect knowledge from many people, not just "experts", "vendors", "trademembers" or "gemologists"? Tourmaline_Lover is entitled to her own opinion, and she certainly can share her own knowledge, as are you. It''s up to people to decide how they want to take it. Now does this mean she''s simply faster at finding links? I really don''t know.

If I listen to Tourmaline_Lover''s input, does that make me misguided? If you find her statements erroneous, then can you please correct them and make them factual with unbiased sources? Can you explain the characteristics of blue topaz, natural and treated/heated? Is Imperial Topaz truly more rare and prized than natural blue topaz?

And I would need at least three different unbiased sources online that covers the history and chemical composition of blue and imperial topaz, natural and treated/heated.

Feel free to post the links.
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinum Rock,
1. Opinion is distinct from knowledge (justified true belief).
2. Yes, I can write on imperial and natural blue Topaz, with citations. However, I have no inclination to accept your challenge. Moreover, the OP''s question is about London Blue Topaz, a different animal. If you want fact, read Schumann''s "Gemstones of the World," if you haven''t already done so.

C''est tout.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks PR.

PR, You asked why natural blue topaz is not very expensive. IMO the reason for this is because the labs can''t seperate the naturaly colored material from those blues that have been enhanced by man with irradiation.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 6:42:28 PM
Platinum Rock,
1. Opinion is distinct from knowledge (justified true belief).
2. Yes, I can write on imperial and natural blue Topaz, with citations. However, I have no inclination to accept your challenge. Moreover, the OP's question is about London Blue Topaz, a different animal. If you want fact, read Schumann's 'Gemstones of the World,' if you haven't already done so.

C'est tout.

Harriet, I'm a little disappointed.

A statement is either:

1 Fact or opinion.

2) True or false.

3) Proven or unproven.

Personal knowledge can still be personal opinion until they are proven factual, tested and citable. I can claim to know a lot about diamonds, but I still have to prove that I have the right informatiion. You believe Tourmaline_Lover's statement is wrong. Unless you can prove that she is wrong, then your statements are also personal opinions.

It's interesting that you are the first to point out the errors in her logic. But when the tables turn, you choose not to deliver.

If you have a habit of challenging other people's viewpoints without factual evidence, then you are just attacking them for personal reasons.

And I find that rather distasteful.
38.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did substantiate a correction I made earlier with a quotation from Schumann''s book. And, yes, I will do that more in the future.

As for your challenge, I will not accept it because I have other things to do. And, while I may know about the topazes in question, I do not find them interesting.

Finally, the poor OP''s thread has been sufficiently hijacked by you and TL''s discussion of imperial and natural blue topaz. My apologies for my part in it and I will not continue in its perpetuation. Again, c''est tout.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 7:35:46 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I don't pretend to know a whit about topaz, or any other gemstone really. I go with what my eye likes and ask questions. I'm not a gem snob and I guess I am happy all the way round as long as others are happy with thier purchases.. get what you LIKE, get what makes your heart sing!!!
Ditto, and I think it is great we all help each other here on this board and we learn from each other (definitely the spirit of what PS is about), I don't see anyone claiming to be an expert, just passing along the knowledge we learn from each other!!!
20.gif
20.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have two giant white topazes, so those are an option if you just want topaz...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 7:39:03 PM
Author: Skippy123

I don''t pretend to know a whit about topaz, or any other gemstone really. I go with what my eye likes and ask questions. I''m not a gem snob and I guess I am happy all the way round as long as others are happy with thier purchases.. get what you LIKE, get what makes your heart sing!!!
Ditto, and I think it is great we all help each other here on this board and we learn from each other (definitely the spirit of what PS is about), I don''t see anyone claiming to be an expert, just passing along the knowledge we learn from each other!!!
20.gif
20.gif
Oh big ditto to both of you ladies. Gosh what would PS be without the help of kind posters.. Diamonds or colored Gems. We all learn from each other... I do appreciate those who are TRUE experts in the field for taking their time to answer our questions. Just as appraisers answer questions in RT...

I have learned so much about colored stones on PS. Thanks to LindaW, I found a great sapphire..
9.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I don''t pretend to know a whit about topaz, or any other gemstone really. I go with what my eye likes and ask questions. I''m not a gem snob and I guess I am happy all the way round as long as others are happy with thier purchases.. get what you LIKE, get what makes your heart sing!!!

Me too! I buy and admire diamonds, gemstones and jewelry because they''re sparkly and pretty. I know it sounds simplistic, but I''m not very concerned about the technicalities. But I do appreciate when someone shares their knowledge.

Lord knows I''ve made some bad purchases. It''s okay. I learn from experience.

I''d rather be an admirer. It''s easier, and I have nothing to prove.
3.gif

Now back to Rubybeth''s London Blue.
31.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rubybeth,

I''m sorry that your thread was hijacked and apologise for my part in perpetuating it. Here is some great advice on gem buying by Rockit: "When you find a great gem, you''ll know instantly... it will be clear and lucid, and the color – whether pastel or deep in hue – will be vibrant and exciting to view. Take your time and be judicious in your gem scouting..." Not all of us on this forum are professional experts, but some certainly have an eye for gemmy stones (for example, Colormyworld). Ultimately, that''s what counts. I hope the source I gave you proves to be helpful. Good luck in your hunt.
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know where you can get them but I think London Blue Topaz are a beautiful color.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I am also a December baby. I strongly prefer blue zircon... just throwing that out there...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 12:10:34 AM
Author: marcyc
I don''t know where you can get them but I think London Blue Topaz are a beautiful color.
Hey!
1.gif
ParaibaInternational has a whole host of them (link above).

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 11:57:09 PM
Rubybeth,

I''m sorry that your thread was hijacked and apologise for my part in perpetuating it. Here is some great advice on gem buying by Rockit: ''When you find a great gem, you''ll know instantly... it will be clear and lucid, and the color – whether pastel or deep in hue – will be vibrant and exciting to view. Take your time and be judicious in your gem scouting...'' Not all of us on this forum are professional experts, but some certainly have an eye for gemmy stones (for example, Colormyworld). Ultimately, that''s what counts. I hope the source I gave you proves to be helpful. Good luck in your hunt.
35.gif
And Harriet, I didn''t mean to single you out either. I know you meant to be helpful, and I appreciate that. I apologize if my posts came across that way. It''s good to question the validity of people''s statements.

No hard feelings?
1.gif
emrose.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nah, you''re too funny to dislike.
9.gif

Let Project Blue Topaz begin!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 12:45:49 AM
Nah, you're too funny to dislike.
9.gif

Let Project Blue Topaz begin!

HAHA...awwww, thanks!!
10.gif
And you have way too much bling to dislike.

This is for you...
31.gif

doorknob.jpg

ringthing!

Rough_Rock
I absolutely love London Blue topaz! I had a ring that I no longer liked or wore (hated the ugly mounting, loved the gemstone), so I had it reset in a simple solitaire style. I just love that beautiful deep blue.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color of London blue topaz as well and while I know it''s not natural there''s something about the color that appeals to me. I guess I''m not a color snob either! I have a suite of London blue topaz that I adore and wear quite often. To the OP, I hope you are able to find a ring that you love.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results