shape
carat
color
clarity

LOGR Tourmaline Mess

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
I know it wasn't the brightest idea to buy something other than the setting alone, but my DH wanted to surprise me with a ring for the wedding so he ordered one off of my "watch list" on ebay.

So here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250807068624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Now I know it's cheap at $245.00, but wow. The setting is nearly paper thin compared to the photos, but I'm mostly disappointed in how the tourmaline looks. It doesn't look pink at ALL. In fact, it looks like muddy dark...I don't know what. It's mostly brown hues, with a glimpse of pink/purple if you hold it up to the sun or a light. It stays ugly in all types of lighting. :sick: It's just poor quality all around and a pretty big disappointment for both of us.

We haven't gotten around to sending it back yet, since we just got back from the wedding, but will be shipping it out for a refund on Monday.

So a PSA (though I highly doubt it's needed, I'm probably the only one that is naive enough to have been stalking his gemstone rings). As a side note, are his settings better, or should I just avoid it completely? There is no way the shank on that ring would have held up.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hmnn..I can't comment on his CS's, but I actually have the same ring as a semi mount, and felt that it was fairly sturdy. Perhaps they've thinned it out since I bought mine a while ago, or maybe we have different definitions of sturdy. I haven't damaged it yet but I don't wear it often. LOGR is great about refunds, so that is some relief. Sorry to hear about your bad experience!

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well you are not the only 'naive' person on here, I also gave their CS a go and I believe a couple of others here have too. From the sound of it those others had no probs but the stone in my ring had changed from being a round cut to concave!! One thing I tend to watch out for is the ring weight. It says that the one you have is Only 1.94g, maybe that's why it feels flimsy? Either way, if you don't like it, you might want to return it. Even though it was a present it's better than leaving it unworn because your scared of breaking it.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the responses, I was a little worried about how negative my post sounded. DH doesn't want me to keep the ring, he'd rather I get something that I love and is upset with their misrepresentation. He was really disappointed when he opened the ring box and saw how different it looked.

We did have a nice experience with them prior to this purchase, and I'd heard so many good reviews here, so it was an unpleasant surprise!

Anyhow, thanks again. I know I'll find something. :) I've been stalking DB here and there, so maybe I'll get lucky!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tammy I'm sorry to hear your news. Unfortunately most of us wouldn't buy a gemstone from LOGR although his settings are good. The gemstones are highly treated and have been dubious. The good news is that he's very good at actioning refunds so you'll get your money back. In future, I'd certainly buy settings from him or Lanbo (whom I prefer of the two) but not gemstones.

Just a FYI, pink tourmaline can look quite brown and yucky looking in incandescent lighting. It's a trait of the stone. Some who it hardly at all and others are very brown. If you like the look of pink tourmaline then it's always worth asking the question of the vendor beforehand as to how much it holds the pink or not.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have that setting too, and I'm a bit shocked that you think it's "paper thin" as mine isn't. I wonder if he's been using less gold in his mounts to save costs.

My last lanbo ring weighed 5 grams, it was customized to hold a heart shaped stone, and it cost $525. I actually saw the listing for my exact ring for much less on his site for around the same exact size stone as mine (he tends to get you on new customizations :angryfire: ), but in all, it's not a flimsy setting, and I still think $525 was a good price for all the melee and gold, and the design work. I haven't bought from LOGR in a very long time because I have found his prices to be higher than lanbo for the same designs and amount of diamonds, and he also charges an extra $30 customization fee. Since I'm always customizing, this drives me nuts. I wish he would drop that fee.

I never ever recommend buying the gemstone rings from either seller. You should always source the stone yourself from a reputable dealer.

Just know in your refund, if you made any changes at all to that setting, including resizing, he will not refund $30 to you.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Hi again,

The whole ring was 1.94g and being my first experience at buying a setting online, I didn't really connect the dots in terms of it's heft. It's good to know that the pink tourms tend to be brown in incandescent lighting. Unfortunately this one was brown regardless if natural lighting, etc. I probably would have held onto it if it had a pretty side. :wink2:

Thank you for the other vendor info. I'll have to check them out! I do want to just source my own stones. Silly me thought I was saving myself work by buying one that was already set. I have much to learn still... :lol:

ETA: Thankfully there were no customizations, so that's good news!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lanbo has several ebay stores.

lan.b04
beyondjewelry3
leejewelry
jewe2004
jewelryhoo

and I'm sure others that I've missed. He's a prolific ebay seller.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Fantastic info, thanks!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results