shape
carat
color
clarity

LOGR settings - centre stone size

Cribynkle

Rough_Rock
Long time lurker here! I love the CS forum =)

I've just bought a chrome coloured Montana sapphire from Blazengems. It's just gorgeous, I'm so pleased with it :love: and now I need to find a setting for it. What's the give on semi-mount settings?

My sapphire's 6mm x 4.7 mm. So will I be able to get a 6 x 4 mm setting or do I need to the one I do buy customised so it fits my lovely better?

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Cribnykle :wavey:

I'll leave the setting response to those much more qualified, but I would love to see a pic of your Montana sapphire. :) Also, if you have any information to share on your experience working with Blaze and Shelly, that would be great to hear.

Best of luck on your setting hunt!

~ faegrace

MontageCreations

Rough_Rock
Trade
you may be confusing size with dimension... let me clarify, if your stone is a round cut sapphire, then it is a 6mm round with 4.7 mm depth, that is its dimension. If the setting you are looking at says 6mm x 4mm then it is for an OVAL/EMERALD/CUSHION/MARQUISE that is the size of stone it is intended to take. So make sure you are looking at a round setting for a round stone, oval for oval , etc. That being said most settings will allow stones that are a within a mm or less in their designed tolerances to fit and there are exceptions to every rule... if in doubt talk to the manufacturer, they may be able to make it fit, or have another made etc.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MontageCreations|1307323597|2938635 said:
you may be confusing size with dimension... let me clarify, if your stone is a round cut sapphire, then it is a 6mm round with 4.7 mm depth, that is its dimension. If the setting you are looking at says 6mm x 4mm then it is for an OVAL/EMERALD/CUSHION/MARQUISE that is the size of stone it is intended to take. So make sure you are looking at a round setting for a round stone, oval for oval , etc. That being said most settings will allow stones that are a within a mm or less in their designed tolerances to fit and there are exceptions to every rule... if in doubt talk to the manufacturer, they may be able to make it fit, or have another made etc.

I have found tolerances on most settings to be within +/- half a millimeter. It also depends on the shape of the stone. I have had no problem setting pears that are the correct hight, but a mm over on the width. Depth also plays a role, and I don't think many people pay attention to depth, but a super deep stone and with a high crown, may need longer prongs if it is over the desired measurements. Not saying this is the case, but just as a point of reference. A good jeweler is key as well since some cannot fit a gem unless the mount is perfect. Some are a bit more talented and can manage it.

Cribynkle

Rough_Rock
Hello :)

Faegrace, I'll post pictures soon - I promise! I'm just in the middle of a big DIY project atm and the house is topsy turvy so no idea where my camera is.

But it was a very easy and satisfactory transaction from Blazengems - it was an impulse buy from me so I didn't ask any questions, just pressed "buy" and that was it. I'm in the UK and the postage was super cheap and fast and I was thrilled with the stone when I got it. I don't think their website and photos do them a huge amount of justice though - they're not particularly slick in comparison to how good their products are.....

And Montagecreations - doh! sorry, I didn't realise I didn't specify. It's an oval cut. 6mm long with 4.7 mm width, not sure about the depth. :)

x

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results