shape
carat
color
clarity

LOGR question/advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!
35.gif

I''m new to the Colored Stones forum and was hoping for a little advice/guidance.
1.gif

I recently purchased a LOGR legacy-style semi-mount. I upgraded the stones to VS, upgraded the metal to 18K (not sure why--seemed like a good idea at the time) and had the head made to fit a 6.9mm cushion-shaped tourmaline. (Not too far of a stretch, I thought, because it was the 7mm mount.)

Anyhoodle, I received the setting, and there''s a wee bit of plain white gold between the melee/pave and the milgraining on one side. It''s not horrible or anything, but noticeable to me as this sort of random, 1mm-ish strip between the pave and the milgrain--just on one side.

I''m not sure what the best course of action is. Should I ask LOGR to exhange it? Should I see if a local benchman could somehow fix it? Should I just go with it because that''s not noticeable and really not that big of a deal? (I do like the style and I know that we''re not talking Leon quality here.)

I know many of you have had LOGR experience and would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks so very much!
1.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
If you don''t like it, then you need to send it back. You should have to convince yourself to live with something that bothered you, unless you LOVE everything else about the ring that the little piece of metal won''t bother you. I have never returned anything to LOGR but I''ve heard others did. Hope someone will share the story here.

Lastly, I hope you didn''t pay to customize the 7mm ring to fit 6.9mm. To me, that''s the same size.

Good luck!
5.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the pricepoint, it's difficult to expect superb workmanship. I did return one LOGR because it was badly casted and not polished and extremely lumpy, but a small piece of metal showing would not bother me. If it were a Leon Mege, well that's a different story. Do you have a picture of the defect? The 6.9 should have been able to fit the 7mm. There is a bit of give and take with the mm sizes. Before ordering again, ask the forum. I would not have spent the money to go up a tenth of a mm.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will it be hidden when the stone is mounted? If it''s on the inside part, where the stone will sit, I wonder if they''ve added a .1mm strip to make it fit your gemstone (although as said above, 7mm - 6.9mm would fit and you wouldn''t have needed custom work on that).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2009 5:39:54 PM
Author: yingh
If you don't like it, then you need to send it back. You should have to convince yourself to live with something that bothered you, unless you LOVE everything else about the ring that the little piece of metal won't bother you. I have never returned anything to LOGR but I've heard others did. Hope someone will share the story here.

Lastly, I hope you didn't pay to customize the 7mm ring to fit 6.9mm. To me, that's the same size.

Good luck!
5.gif
If you upgrade the diamonds, he will deduct $30 from the refund because of the micro-pave fee,.
8.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a picture? Honestly, I don''t think it is worth the hassle of returning it over something that may not be seen. As long as everything else checks out, I wouldn''t sweat it too much. Maybe it is a simple fix your jeweler can do. Like TL said, you would have to lose the $30 fee along with shipping and the time to start from scratch again.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
yingh, Tourmaline Lover, LovingDiamonds and cushioncutnut, thank you so much for your replies and feedback!
1.gif
I''ve gotten some great advice.

I agree that for the shipping and $30 micro-pave fee, it''s probably not worth sending back. The weird strip thingie is visible when I place the stone in the setting, but it''s probably something only I would notice--and to be honest, I was scrutinizing it pretty closely.
2.gif

Also, I appreciate the feedback about needlessly paying to customize the head for a .1mm difference. You''re right! Sheesh, I should''ve known that, and I definitely should''ve asked the forum. Live and learn!

All in all, I''m happy with the setting (especially given the price-point!). It was very helpful to have this "conversation" and get some guidance from the experts. I think it''ll look lovely once I have the green tourmaline set.
30.gif

Thanks again for all of the help!
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which setting did you get? Can you post a link to it. Your ebay id will not be displayed if you do (he keeps them private). Just curious.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Hi TL,

It''s the legacy replica. Here''s a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370167133149

I don''t really see the metal in the photos like I do in real life (maybe it''s a lighting or angle thing?), but since I''m lousy at taking pictures, this is probably the best way to share what the setting looks like.

Whaddya think? Can you tell anything from the photos? Do you still think it''s a keeper? I''m definitely not looking for perfect, just good enough.
1.gif

Thanks for your insight!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many of us, including myself, have that ring. The diamonds on it are large, and it''s pretty nice, although I do agree that the workmanship on that particular piece is sourly lacking. I have the 8x8 version of that setting as well, and it looks awesome, much better workmanship and I upgraded the diamonds. Here''s a picture of the comparison. The one on the right is the 8x8 and the one on the left is yours. I blocked out the gemstone in it in order to let you focus on the workmanship. The one on the left does not have upgraded diamonds

TLLOGRsidebyside2.jpg

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Wow, TL! Seeing your setting next to mine really shows a difference. Very helpful!

So...dang...maybe I should send it back. If I do, any thoughts on whether I should request an exchang or return it outright and buy another legacy-esque from LOGR? Either way, I''ll be out the micro-pave fee and shipping. I can live with it if I knew I''d get a better setting.

What would you do?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2009 10:22:57 AM
Author: kathleenmv
Wow, TL! Seeing your setting next to mine really shows a difference. Very helpful!

So...dang...maybe I should send it back. If I do, any thoughts on whether I should request an exchang or return it outright and buy another legacy-esque from LOGR? Either way, I'll be out the micro-pave fee and shipping. I can live with it if I knew I'd get a better setting.

What would you do?
He also won't refund the customization fee, so it will probably be more than $30 lost. I would ask him to be on the safe side, but for that kind of money, I would just keep it. See if your jeweler can do something with it. My mounting has some shoddy workmanship, but I didn't pay much, so I don't care. It still gets compliments and holds a gorgeous stone. You can see it in the eyecandy thread towards the last ten pages or so. It holds a minty blue green tourmaline that I had my jeweler bezel in there. LaurenThePartier has a million pictures of these settings in her gallery as well. I think she has three or four of them holding various cushion stones. It's a really popular setting in PS.

There's also no guarantee that just because you get another setting, like the 8x8, it will be better either. It all depends a little on luck. I love how my last oval LOGR came out (on the last page of the eyecandy thread). It's 18K rose gold with upgraded full cut diamonds, and you can see it very clearly in that photo with all the detail.

I don't think he does exchanges. You either return it for a refund if you don't like it, but ask to be sure.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kathy

I bought the 7mm Legacy style setting also. I didn't upgrade the diamonds. From the top, looking down, the ring is gorgeous and the diamonds are great. Looking at the side of the shank it's ok but if you look at the side profile to the secret diamond the workmanship is awful (you can see this in the last photo). When I received it, the hole where the gem goes looked unpolished inside - is that what you're seeing? If you keep it, your jeweller will be able to polish out the basket and finish it off properly.

If you look at the side profile you can also see a bar of gold running just under the gemstone - is that where your piece of metal is?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side shank profile - can you see the metal under the gemstone?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeeeek - now you can see the shoddy workmanship!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
I see quite a difference between the one on the right and left; the workmanship and diamonds are very different in quality.

LD,
I don''t think too many people will be looking at the underside, so it''s probably all right, especially considering the price you paid. Imagine getting the actual Legacy! $$$$$

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Tourmaline, LovingDiamonds and Chrono, thanks for your replies!
35.gif

LD, the metal I see is on face of the setting--between the pave and the milgrain. It''s like a weird gap between the diamonds and the milgrain/border. In your photo (as in TL''s and LTP''s--as far as I could tell anyway), the diamonds snug right up against the milgrain. I can definitely see a difference in workmanship between the settings y''all have and my own.

It''s the whole "luck of the draw" aspect that has me flummoxed. I''d be willing to lose a few bucks if I could get a better quality setting the next time around. Since it seems to be a matter of luck, however, I can just see myself hassling with this return and end up back at square one with a setting of the same caliber.

I know not to expect perfection or anything, but I think I would like a little better workmanship--especially now that I''ve compared my setting with settings many of you have received. I think I''ll contact LOGR and see if they''d be willing to work out an exchange. It''s worth a shot!

Thanks again for all of the advice and insight. The help has been invaluable.
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Helpful hint, it''s probably not a good idea to ask him to resize heads. The workmanship tends to get shoddy when they do that. Instead, just make sure you get a stone that fits. The problems with your setting might have occurred when he tried to resize the head by a tenth of a mm.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, having them resize the head for a .1mm difference was definitely not one of my brighter moves. Doh!

Judging by the photograph in the listing, the setting had workmanship issues even before I had them monkey with the head size. (Too bad I wasn’t savvy enough to spot that beforehand. Double doh!) I imagine my requested adjustment didn’t help matters. I''ll avoid doing that in the future!

I have an email into LOGR. We’ll seeeeeeeee.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep us posted. I would be very interested in what he had to say.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
I just received a response. He was very kind and courteous and said that LOGR would send a replacement ring once my return was received. Yay! Crossing my fingers for a good result.
1.gif

Thanks again for all of the advice and support!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2009 12:13:01 AM
Author: kathleenmv
I just received a response. He was very kind and courteous and said that LOGR would send a replacement ring once my return was received. Yay! Crossing my fingers for a good result.
1.gif

Thanks again for all of the advice and support!
That is so nice, and so much more than I expected from him. Did you tell him you were a Pricescoper because he owes a lot to this forum in terms of business.

I''m so happy for you.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, TL! I''m really hoping this turns out well. The setting will house my very first colored gemstone purchase: a green tourmaline from Barry. Kind of a big deal for me!
1.gif

I didn''t mention PS, but that would''ve been good! I was very pleased with the response. The proof will be in the pudding--er--setting.
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results