shape
carat
color
clarity

Local jeweler says that they only carry GIA certified stones and will not carry AGS because they are

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigToque

Rough_Rock
I went to a local jeweler (Henry Birks) last night and the sales lady says that they only carry GIA certified stones and will not carry AGS because they are not up to their "standards".

She seemed somewhat knowledgeable, but she also seemed like she was saying a lot of crap as well.

Their prices were almost twice as expensive as what you can find online. I was very surprised.

I''m disappointed in all my local shops (it''s a small city so there aren''t many), as none of them seem to like to talk about the product and are just interested in making a sale and getting you out of the store as quickly as possible.

This is why I love the internet and this forum specifically. I get loads of help and good information.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I always wonder what is the motive behind such statements. As far as sticker shock goes, that''s how I ended up here at PS. Imagine my delight when I discovered that better quality could be had for nearly half the price. In any event--happy internet hunting.

drkewl

Rough_Rock
i was at Kays yesterday (use them to apply some things i learn on here so i can see them in real life)... was having one of there ''diamond expo'' thingies where they have a lot more diamonds than usual...showed me a 1.50 carat RB... Depth of 65.6%, Table 62...G SI2. Price: $15,300. The sales guy was trumpeting it has one hell of a deal, a one in a million diamond etc, etc.

A lady in front of me bought a 1 carat diamond and explained "this thing is appraised at like 3 times what i''m paying for it!!! what a steal! how can you guys make any money offering these killer prices???"

20.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes I tell a non-truth for a purpose....and I regard the risk worth it.

Usually, though, I am not so smart about evaluating a situation as to tell something about it that I myself do not believe.

Your shop may have good options, and have evaluated what to tell their clientele based on a set of standards that they think will sell them the most diamonds...ends justifies the means. But, if they do know AGS at all, I doubt they believe what they told you.

Regards,

BigToque

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/7/2005 3:32:02 PM
Author: Regular Guy
What kind of non-truths? Important information, or are you talking about things that the average buyer will never understand so you just simplify it for them in ways that aren't technically true but true enough that you dont have to think you're lying to people? :)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2005 3:52:16 PM
Author: BigToque

What kind of non-truths? Important information, or are you talking about things that the average buyer will never understand so you just simplify it for them in ways that aren''t technically true but true enough that you dont have to think you''re lying to people? :)
No....things like...if my wife asks me if the dress she is trying on makes her look fat.

BigToque

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/7/2005 3:57:48 PM

Date: 8/7/2005 3:52:16 PM
Author: BigToque

What kind of non-truths? Important information, or are you talking about things that the average buyer will never understand so you just simplify it for them in ways that aren''t technically true but true enough that you dont have to think you''re lying to people? :)
No....things like...if my wife asks me if the dress she is trying on makes her look fat.
You mean you''re not supposed to just poke her?
2.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
It might be just a part of a sales-pitch, which is inaccurate or lacking of knowledge. Strictness and consistency of AGS reports regarded high in the industry (see also our grading survey). In addition, AGS reports provide cut grading information, which is unavailable yet in GIA reports.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2005 3:13:49 PM
Author:BigToque
I went to a local jeweler (Henry Birks) last night and the sales lady says that they only carry GIA certified stones and will not carry AGS because they are not up to their ''standards''.
HI:

Love your name...you must be Canadian......

This is the second time in as many days I have heard this sentiment...but I am not terribly surprised considering the source; I am sorry to be hard on any vendor but one of the worst--insufferably self important--salepersons I ever met was in a Birks store; my GF was looking for an ER and we RAN out the door the salesperson was such an uninformed buffoon....needless to say she didn''t buy her ring there....and I don''t scare easily
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have talked to many jewelers that are not up on their education and don''t know much about AGS at all.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If that means I can get an AGS graded stone at less than a GIA, score!
31.gif

But probably not.
8.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds to me like a partially knowledgable salesperson.
Maybe they taught the sales associates that anything except GIA a GIA report is second rate- and simply did not mention the existance of AGS.
It''s even possible management doesn''t know of AGS if it''s a store which does not sell ideal cut diamonds.
If that''s what you''re looking for, they just proved they are NOT the shop for you!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGS lab has only been in business since 1996. It''s very possible that the jeweler just doesn''t get out much.

If you''re shopping based on criteria like hearts&arrows symmetry, brilliancescope performance or idealscope view, it''s seems likely that they won''t know much about these either.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

blake

Rough_Rock
Birks is the Canadian version of Tiffany with darker blue boxes. In the 70''s, they were offered the chance to buy Tiffany but declined. Like Tiffany, their own grading is similar to GIA/AGS or tighter.

TimeTraveller

Rough_Rock
That is interesting.

I like AGS DQD reports the most. I don''t even consider GIA diamonds online as I can''t get details about the actual cut (stats and angles) of the diamond. If you purchase from a etailer like BlueNile where they don''t offer Sarin details, then only AGS reports are of use. GIA reports aren''t very useful if one is very concerned with the actual cut.

I suppose for the average Joe who is only concerned with the carat and color of the stone, then a GIA report would suffice, but you definitely need something better than a GIA only report for cut rattings.

Your story suggests to me that your retailer is not concerned with offering idea quality cut diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results