shape
carat
color
clarity

Local Jeweler in Charlotte, NC

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Help! Any recommendations for a good bench jeweler in Charlotte NC? I have had a nightmare experience in the past and still don't know where to go that I can trust to do excellent bench work

I had a terrible jeweler who had all 5 star ratings ruin one of my rings...he completely burned most of my pave diamonds because he didn't know what he was doing with platinum, not to mention the prongs looking terrible and uneven. Nightmare! I had to pay someone else $550 to fix his mess.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to say that I do not know of one, but I will be reading this with interest because I also have not had any luck whatsoever even with small jobs. I do not live in Charlotte but not too far.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I found a jeweler on etsy - ThomasO Designs (https://www.etsy.com/people/ThomasO26133). His profile says he is based in Charlotte. I saw a DBTY necklace on his site and thought his handmade bezels were beautiful. So I had him make a 7 stone ring I owned into a DBTY necklace. It was beautiful and he finished it very quickly. His price was reasonable and the bezels are quite delicate. They are slightly imperfect when inspected with a loupe, but my understanding is that is standard when talking about handmade bezels rather than CAD/cast. I can't vouch for his melee, since I supplied the stones.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I have tried about 3-4 different ones and haven't been thrilled, not to mention the horrible experience I had with the one. Thanks for the etsy recommendation! I will reach out to him and see what he has to say.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
May I ask what type of repair you need?
I may have a place for you- I used to sell to the jewelers in Charlotte.....

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Please, any recommendation is appreciated! Presently I am getting quotes for a solitaire setting, then I will need a reputable person to set the stone. Thanks

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you're buying a diamond the smartest course would be to have the place you're buying it from set it- this way they will take the responsibility.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Even if I have it insured with Jewelers Mutual?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes- I'm more concerned with them taking responsibility for your satisfaction

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1462548922|4028110 said:
I am sorry to say that I do not know of one, but I will be reading this with interest because I also have not had any luck whatsoever even with small jobs. I do not live in Charlotte but not too far.

Diamondseeker, do you have any local that you would trust with stone setting jobs or you haven't even had luck with that?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only stone I had set locally was at DD (I am guessing you can figure that out) a few years ago, and I checked it with a loupe when I went to pick it up. More than one prong was not properly touching the stone on top. I showed the sales person and they took it back to the bench and they fixed it. So I am not greatly impressed with their bench as it should have been checked by the bench before giving it to the customer. I did have Karat Patch set a stone in a temp setting for me once, and it was fine. They closed and apparently have reopened somewhere else, but I have no idea if any of the same people are there or not.

Help me understand your situation. Are you buying the diamond and setting from two different sources? If so, one of those should be setting your diamond. I will tell you that my most recent experience was buying a setting and trying to have a stone set that I already have and the jeweler I went to said he wouldn't do it. Too much risk for him if something was damaged when he didn't sell either the diamond or setting.

SparkleBabyNYC

Rough_Rock
*lurker 1st post*

Following as I live in Concord and would like to know the same. I've had horrible experiences with both F (SP location) and DD. F switched a DY bracelet out for a fake when I went in for a repair. After a lengthy, nightmarish fight I eventually got my bracelet back. And a simple prong fix took DD 3 times to get it right. For a store that specializes in diamonds I was shocked. They're also pretty pricey compared to other jewelry stores (settings and diamonds), but claim they have very low prices.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
I will say I have been happy with the previous stone setting I've had done at Sumpter's but was open to someone giving a gleaming rec for another bench in the area...which so far, no luck! Sounds like I am not the only one who's had problems in the area.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you looking for someone to set your asscher? If so, buy the setting from Wink at HPD, send your stone to him and have him set it. Or just about any other pricescope vendor. Seriously.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gypsy, I am new to this...by pricescope vendor do you mean the ones listed under featured sponsors?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. One we recommend here on RT. What do you want done?

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1462821403|4029391 said:
No. One we recommend here on RT. What do you want done?

The 2 ct asscher stone to be set...claw prongs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd use brilliantly engaged or IDJ. Call and talk to them. Tell them you want delicate claw prongs and go with who you like better.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand if she bought the stone locally why she'd like to have it set locally since it is kind of a pain sending a diamond off somewhere. That's why I tried DD once upon a time.

But if she wanted a setting from someone that does perfect prongs like Victor, Steven K, or Caysie (through Love Affair Diamonds), then the trouble would be worth it.

You might want to look through these settings clearfading. I have pieces by Victor and Caysie. They all do custom.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/solitaires/

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/the-evidence/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think she wants a stuller setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1462856506|4029649 said:
I think she wants a stuller setting.

Ok. I don't see that worth the extra money to ship the diamond somewhere really. It would add like $100 each way to the cost. I'd suggest visiting a couple of the high end jewelers like Morrison Smith and Donald Haack and ask if they have any rings in stock that we set by their bench because you want delicate prongs (take a picture of whatever it is you like) and want to see examples before you have your stone set. Again, they may not want the job and you may need to get it done where you bought the stone. I might even try that first and take pictures of however you want the prongs to be. I prefer ribbon prongs on an asscher unless someone like Victor or Steven are doing their double claws. I wouldn't expect most local jewelers to be able to do those well. I suggest looking at as many pictures of emerald cut and asscher rings as you can to get an idea of prong options. However, remember that if you are ordering a stock setting such as Stuller, they aren't going to turn out as well as custom, usually.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies. I will research prongs (already started to with threads on PS) and call those suggested jewelers. Great suggestions

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkleBabyNYC|1462757404|4029127 said:
*lurker 1st post*

Following as I live in Concord and would like to know the same. I've had horrible experiences with both F (SP location) and DD. F switched a DY bracelet out for a fake when I went in for a repair. After a lengthy, nightmarish fight I eventually got my bracelet back. And a simple prong fix took DD 3 times to get it right. For a store that specializes in diamonds I was shocked. They're also pretty pricey compared to other jewelry stores (settings and diamonds), but claim they have very low prices.

I just reread this and saw what you said about your bracelet! That is scary that a higher end jeweler would do that!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results