shape
carat
color
clarity

Living far from home?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
What kind of local dishes, desserts or junk food do you miss?

I''m craving a butter tart right now like there''s no tomorrow!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I don''t live that far from home, but there are definitely things from home that I crave often.

From where I grew up - Art Mart milk chocolate chip cookies (I believe there''s a few PSers in the U of I, Champaign-Urbana area, y''all better know what these are!). These cookies are amazing - the butter is made from goatsmilk by monks in the French alps or something. Seriously - all the ingredients are imported from places around the globe, and they make the best darned cookie - and they''re huge, about the size of your hand.

From where I went to college - Avanti''s bread. It''s a sweet, soft Italian bread. So good - it literally tastes like home. My dad brought me six loaves at Thanksgiving, and as of dinner tonight, we''re now down to two.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2008 9:10:45 PM
Author:CDNinNYC

My husband just made a batch of those for Thanksgiving. They sure are yummy.

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like we are exactly opposite - I moved from NYC to Calgary last December. So maybe my point of view will make you feel a little better. No cupcakes can compare to Magnolia. Calgary has absolutely NO mexican food either, and man I miss the little hole in the wall down the street from my old apartment in the east village. I miss the wine bar a few blocks away with the most amazing cheese fondue. I miss not owning a car and not being able to walk down the street and get a coffee and a bacon egg and cheese on a bun from our corner store.

Most of all, I miss DSW and knowing that I can find the exact dress/pants/jeans/boots I want, even if I can''t afford them.

I love living up here, but I REALLY miss NYC too!!

But man, butter tarts are TDF, how have they not caught on down there???

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock

Mmmmmmmmm, butter tarts. My mom grew up in Toronto and she makes them every Christmas. I was born in the states, and everywhere we''ve lived the neighbors have 1) never heard of them before, and 2) fallen in love and been excited to get some from her every year. Now I''M craving them, and we won''t be able to visit my parents this xmas to eat any.
39.gif

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
growing up in NJ and now living in PA ...i miss diners the most. and taylor egg ham and cheese on a bagel...and fresh sea food!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 9:00:17 AM
Author: cbs102
growing up in NJ and now living in PA ...i miss diners the most. and taylor egg ham and cheese on a bagel...and fresh sea food!
I know, Jersey has the best diners!!! I love going out for breakfast when I'm there visiting family.

NY has so-so diners...but we def have the BEST pizza, bagels and restaurants!
18.gif
3.gif

What I miss the most from home (Massachusetts):
Fried whole-bellied clams, clam chowder, lobster and really any seafood...I told my father Lobster was # 1 on my list for one of our holiday meals this year.

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 11:27:15 AM
Author: Bia

Date: 12/4/2008 9:00:17 AM
Author: cbs102
I know, Jersey has the best diners!!! I love going out for breakfast when I''m there visiting family.

NY has so-so diners...but we def have the BEST pizza, bagels and restaurants!
18.gif
3.gif

What I miss the most from home (Massachusetts):
Fried whole-bellied clams, clam chowder, lobster and really any seafood...I told my father Lobster was # 1 on my list for one of our holiday meals this year.
OH I TOTALLY AGREE ABOUT THE PIZZA! the greasy ginormous slices that you fold in half and the grease drips down your arm!! and i love NY chinese too...i am so hungry right now!! my mom gre up in RI so i miss clam cakes and clam chowder from the black pearl in newport

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock

What?!!??! No butter tarts in the US?!?!? I had no idea!!!

karasue...I was in Calgary for a summer and I swear I went to an awesome Mexican restaurant there...I totally forget the name but it was in the SE side of the city? Let me try and figure it out...It was a bit of a dive but the food was great!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can get everything over here, just not as cheaply or easily.

I grew up in the South of the US. I live in the South of England now. I miss kraft mac & cheese, pickles, French Toast and other sweet breakfast foods in resturants, and Mexican Food.

When I visit the US I miss my favorite type of bread, cheddar cheese that isn''t orange, tea in any flavor I can dream of, and English Breakfasts.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really, really, really miss two things from my hometown: Steak & Shake (a diner chain that apparently hasn't made its way out west) cheese fries and our local orchard (apples and pumpkins, seasonally of course...) that had the best old-fashioned donuts and "cider slush"! Yum!!

I also miss the change of seasons... though we've been getting more of that this year. (Thanks, global warming!)

From where I went to college my first year (I transferred as a sophomore), I really miss this coffee shop called Rainbow Planet, and MASSIVE thunderstorms with flooded streets in monsoon season.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2008 10:15:21 PM
Author: Elmorton
From where I grew up - Art Mart milk chocolate chip cookies (I believe there''s a few PSers in the U of I, Champaign-Urbana area, y''all better know what these are!).
Hey hey hey, you grew up there?? Me toooooooo!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2008 7:06:28 PM
Author: musey
I really, really, really miss two things from my hometown: Steak & Shake (a diner chain that apparently hasn''t made its way out west) cheese fries and our local orchard (apples and pumpkins, seasonally of course...) that had the best old-fashioned donuts and ''cider slush''! Yum!!

I also miss the change of seasons... though we''ve been getting more of that this year. (Thanks, global warming!)

From where I went to college my first year (I transferred as a sophomore), I really miss this coffee shop called Rainbow Planet, and MASSIVE thunderstorms with flooded streets in monsoon season.

Not quite monsoons, but summer flash floods and lighting storms for me. I miss those too.

E B

Ideal_Rock
The South (where I'm from) has Blue Bell Ice Cream, which my husband and I both miss. Also, Braum's- a hamburger and ice cream shop- peppermint ice cream. I maintain it's the *best* ice cream I've ever had. The vanilla base is like a sweet cream, with big, crunchy chunks of peppermint. I remember ordering it as a child with my grandmother. THE BEST. Oh, how I miss it.

Oh, and Taco Cabana, a fast-food mexican restaurant. The beef enchiladas are TDF after a night of too much partying. I visited a lot in college.
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is a butter tart?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Chicken rice and roti prata!

Oh my goodness, I have the worst cravings for that right now. Oh, and char siew. And chili crab. And a big 100 Plus to wash it all down.

Also, I desperately miss Allman''s barbeque. It''s this little place in the town I went to school in and it''s wonderful. I miss it so much.

Mmmmmmmmm...food.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Where I grew up there was a meat market/grocery right down the street. They made fresh sausage in lots of different varieties, amazing boudain, and HUGE stuffed porkchops. I haven''t been back in a while but whenever I do I buy pounds and pounds of these things to keep in the freezer. The boudain is soo good uncooked, cold, and squeezed out onto a cracker
9.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Musey, did you go to Curtis Orchard for your apples and pumpkins? Last year, right before we moved to IA, I took my DH home to go there. The trip was not entirely comforting though - it really freaked me out how I remember the orchard being in the middle of nowhere, but now it''s about a block from a stoplight and businesses because of how much Champaign has expanded.

Btw, I''ll gladly send you Steak n'' Shake! You can have all of them :) Blechhhhh those fries get so cold so fast. Aren''t you out in the area where there is In and Out Burger? That has got to be better.

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 5:47:36 PM
Author: sammyj

karasue...I was in Calgary for a summer and I swear I went to an awesome Mexican restaurant there...I totally forget the name but it was in the SE side of the city? Let me try and figure it out...It was a bit of a dive but the food was great!
sammyj, please let me know if you remember the name of that mexican place!!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I grew up in Pittsburgh with lots of Polish people, so I miss the pierogies. I guess I can order them online from my favorite place (or make them myself) but it''s not the same.

Most of the things I miss are from my college days. I miss Wings Over ______. It''s a chain of wing places where the _____ is the name of the town (usually a college town). Their boneless wings are just delicious; good comfort food. Whenever we''re near a town that has one FI and I try to stop in for our fix. I also miss the local bagel place in college that had everything from bagels to beer (mmm, beer). I even kind of miss the ridiculously cheap Chinese food that we used to get. Oh, and the one dining hall type place on campus made the best grilled cheese and curly fries that I probably got once a week. Mmmm .... I''m getting so hungry. Ooo, there was also a classy restaurant that offered $5 gourmet delicious burgers every day from 4-6, so we''d drive out there and pig out.

I live in CT now and I must say, I love the seafood! It''s by far my favorite thing about living near the coast.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmmm... Butter tarts sound yummy.
I grew up in Indonesia and am constantly craving keripik (spicy dried cassava chips) and kue lapis, which is some sort of layered cake. Soooo good! I''m also craving the bread from Bread Talk. They need to open one in NYC!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
my mom makes the best meatloaf! if you''ve seen step-brothers, yeah she makes a fancy sauce haha

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 7:07:29 PM
Author: musey

Date: 12/3/2008 10:15:21 PM
From where I grew up - Art Mart milk chocolate chip cookies (I believe there''s a few PSers in the U of I, Champaign-Urbana area, y''all better know what these are!).
Hey hey hey, you grew up there?? Me toooooooo!!
Hey you two! I''m still "stuck" here! And loving it!
9.gif

Musey, I was reading your post and I kept thinking how similar everything sounded to Champaign... I was gonna ask you where you grew up till I saw your next post! On his way out today, DH promised me to take me somewhere nice to celebrate turning in all his papers. Thanks to you, now I''m craving Steak & Shake! So bad for my waistline...
38.gif
But the fries are my mom''s absolute favorite.

Elmorton, I looooove Art Mart cookies. My other favorites there were the chocolate croissants and the Provence triangles. (And the stickers, when I was younger, well maybe even now
2.gif
) Shame they don''t make them anymore... Boo
39.gif
You''re right about Curtis Orchard, they really lost that middle-of-nowhere charm. We used to go there every fall, but after my last visit a couple years ago, I stopped going. Now I just enjoy the cider and doughnuts when people bring them to functions. Maybe I''m just growing up.
23.gif

Lil Porgy''s is still a favorite. Anyone remember Aunt Sonya''s? I loved going there for breakfast! Mmmmm!

I promise to take orders for anything local if we ever have that get together next year ;-)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I miss:

Skyline Chili
Montgomery Inn- Chicken and Ribs
United Dairy Farmers Chocolate shake''s or malts
Graeter''s Ice cream (voted one of Oprah''s favorite things). Graeter''s will actual ship their ice cream and it''s $$ but if you are an ice cream lover...soooooo worth it.

From TN:
Hog Heaven''s White BBQ sauce
tea cakes
Cafe Nona (small authentic Italian restaurant)

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Home is lots of places for me. What I miss in terms of food is this:

My grandmother in DR would always make scrambled eggs mixed with peppers grown on her farm with boiled plantains (also from her farm). LOVE this! And no one makes it like she does.
18.gif
Oh and Mangos!

From NY, coffee cake. I don''t remember the brand but there was this specific coffee cake I used to get from the bodega that was just awesome. No coffee cake has compared.

And from PR, there''s this fruit that is pronounced ke-ne-pas but I don''t know the proper spelling or even what the fruit would be called in English. It had a green shell and inside there is a peach colored fruit and you suck on the pit. Awesome.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
I swear I am usually looking more forward to the food when I go home than visiting the people!
9.gif

Alright, J/K! Well sorta!
27.gif

I am from Buffalo, NY so yes I crave wings!!!! Never was THAT big of a fan when I lived there, but I guess distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Hmmm... what else....

Pizza! Buffalo''s pizza isn''t like NYC''s pizza. We do thick crust, lots of sauce and lots of cheese. There is one place that does "pizza balls" or at least that''s what we call them. They take a ball of pizza dough and put cheese and pepperoni in it and deep fry it! I can usually only handle one because they are so big and greasy but it''s so good!
Subs! I love the way we do subs in Buffalo!
Beef on Weck is yummy too!
Oh and sponge candy!!!!! Yum!
We also have these hotdogs that are just so good called Sahlen''s.
Oh and Fish Fry''s yum (kinda like Fish-N-Chips)
Loganberry (Not sure if it''s a Buffalo thing but they don''t seem to have it here in CA)

Wow all of these foods are complete junk! But I love them! Well I love my health-nut organic food in California too but sometime it''s nice to go home and have some junk!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 5:00:54 PM
Musey, did you go to Curtis Orchard for your apples and pumpkins?
Yes! I love it! I remember going there for field trips when I was really young.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Wow, memories...when I went away to college in New England (from Northern California) I missed fresh produce in the winter like crazy. My mom used to smuggle it out to me anyway she could - in care packages or in her suitcases when she came to visit. She used to joke about bringing me the "A" vegetables (artichokes, avocados, asparagus, etc...).

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 6:24:53 PM
Author: karasue91

Date: 12/4/2008 5:47:36 PM
Author: sammyj

sammyj, please let me know if you remember the name of that mexican place!!
karasue, it''s called Village Cantina in Inglewood! I had to ask my friend and we were racking our brains since it''s been 3.5 years! I am by no means a Mexican food expert but it''s a great little place!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results