shape
carat
color
clarity

List of vendors who specialize in high quality but maybe low carat padparadschas

DotDiddy

Rough_Rock
This. So much this. I start and stop asking because it gets so frustrating. Heck I'd buy off someone just to avoid having to deal with all the "excellent deal $12squillion dollars"

Lol right? It's like the unavoidable question. Two dealers have called me on my bs when I've dodged with "if you're from -insert country list here- I can refer you to people I have dealt with in those countries" but the price has also gone up as well as the sizes of the gems presented following. Must be speaking incorrectly.

DotDiddy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for resharing the pear. I like the color a lot more and the cut seems pretty nice - pears are really tricky for cut and a lot of them are a mushy mess. (A different "mush" from the color mush being described - many the facets become indistinct and therefore "mushy")... Esp for colored stone pears - color can be concentrated towards the point in the pear. There looks to be a little color zoning and a small window but honestly I think its a very pretty stone.

I don't think there is anything fishy just bc its been on the market for a while. Keep in mind he is in a bright sunny tropical region, so if you live in a place with 250 days of overcast days the performance with color will be different. You can ask him to send videos in different indoor/ outdoor lighting.

But your second paragraph...This is what you will likely encounter with many of these gem dealers. That is what I have been saying all along. If you desire more assurance than "trust" and expect contracts etc - I really don't know if buying this way through IG is for you. These dealers are one degree of separation (maybe two) from the actual mines in their respective regions of origin. There are some shady dealers this route too, and I got a good "vibe" from GemOcean which is why I went with him, not contracts. it is unusual for vendors like this to even be working directly with consumers - they often sell to vendors who handle gem certs on their own.

I'm not freaking out about the contracts so much as I am about my own incapabilities, haha. The contract is nice as a security blanket of sorts but if the dealer is good with returns then I'm good with it too. I get a good vibe from GemOcean as well. They provided the business registration number and dealer's license copy and have been the literal ONE IG dealer who hasn't tried to peddle me everything in stock in descending price. The certs I must have though, which is alright coming from RGL and I only hope to god GIA or LOTUS will cert them pad as well. I think the bottom line is since I'm not buying an insanely expensive huge gem I can't possibly lose that much.. right? At least not any more than the upcharge would be buying from someone here. Rationalizations. I'm kind of freaking out because I'm about to pull the trigger and just get that darn pear. I can't stop thinking about it. I might keep that for a while before getting a larger one in the peachier color.

DotDiddy

Rough_Rock

elizat

Ideal_Rock
The pear in the video against the non blue looks like it could have potential. But against the blue I don't love the video. I have taken a risk with non US vendors and it was ok, but it could be not ok too.

It looks like the color tine may not be super even in the video. Pockets of orange v pink instead of an even mix. I don't know if that's something that bothers you.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I really don’t love these.

I’m feeling really bad for you, I can imagine as this is your engagement ring you are really keen to buy something ASAP. But honestly, be patient. The right stone will come along.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Ok I’ve just spoken to one of the guys I buy from in Sri Lanka and asked him to specifically keep an eye out for me for unheated pads under 2ct.

He is the more expensive vendor I use but the quality of his stock is so so good and he is a very honest person. I’ve had him tell me that a stone he is selling for other people is overpriced, come back to me and say when lab reports haven’t said the expected thing, point out inclusions I haven’t noticed.

This is for an engagement ring so it has to be special. I will let you know what he comes up with.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ok I’ve just spoken to one of the guys I buy from in Sri Lanka and asked him to specifically keep an eye out for me for unheated pads under 2ct.

He is the more expensive vendor I use but the quality of his stock is so so good and he is a very honest person. I’ve had him tell me that a stone he is selling for other people is overpriced, come back to me and say when lab reports haven’t said the expected thing, point out inclusions I haven’t noticed.

This is for an engagement ring so it has to be special. I will let you know what he comes up with.

How kind of you!!!

DotDiddy

Rough_Rock
The pear in the video against the non blue looks like it could have potential. But against the blue I don't love the video. I have taken a risk with non US vendors and it was ok, but it could be not ok too.

It looks like the color tine may not be super even in the video. Pockets of orange v pink instead of an even mix. I don't know if that's something that bothers you.

This is precisely the kind of thing I appreciate your expert opinion on. I don't even see it when looking at the video until you point it out, but I do see it now. I think it would irk me to death over time.

DotDiddy

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much. I am seriously trash at patience, so this will be a good lesson, haha. My mind says I can wait forever and my actions are to compulsively scour IG at 5am. I think after this I will become a gem collector. Never knew this world was so deep!

The accountability and honesty of that vendor will be greatly appreciated. I'm almost positive someone tried to sell me glass for $2200/carat lol

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Literally this is the most friendly and helpful forum/group of people I have spoken to since the pandemic began. What a warm exchange after a long period of social deprivation.

There really are some awesome folks here. Definitely makes dealing with the day-to-day insanity a bit more tolerable.

I do sincerely hope that you find your dream pad soon, I toooootally get the impatience. The whole process is a mix of excitement and torture, isn't it? :lol:

If I were you I'd feel more comfortable buying from a vendor that even just one person on the forum has had good luck with, as opposed to random ppl on Instagram. That's just me...too many weirdos out there...

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But honestly, be patient. The right stone will come along.

IMO, it's fine to even use a stand-in ring. I spent a lot of time and money researching spouse's diamond 25+ years ago. Vendor set it in a junky 14K placeholder ring that was $50, maybe? It stayed there for > 20 years of daily wear and became a running joke -- spouse was always too busy to pick a mounting, etc.

It's really hard to emergency-buy a nice pad -- or even a nice blue. Diamonds are super-easy; colored stones are not.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if this is the color you have in mind, but here's mine; bought from Gem Ocean, slightly orange leaning, medium saturation, delicate color. 2.29ct for USD2400, slightly included:

WeChat Image_20201027154122.jpg WeChat Image_20201027154047.jpg

I chat with a lot of Chinese sellers, but idk if you want to deal with that kind of shipping. If you don't mind, I can let them know you're looking for a small pad as well.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
6C0503F1-5786-438B-A2FA-E8C55F0F5E22.jpeg 6mm oval. 0.88ct.

I’ve said I will take it so it doesn’t get snapped up by anyone else (which I will if you don’t want it!)

Might be too small for you but it is very inexpensive so you could go all out with a striking diamond halo.

DotDiddy

Rough_Rock

I’ve said I will take it so it doesn’t get snapped up by anyone else (which I will if you don’t want it!)

Might be too small for you but it is very inexpensive so you could go all out with a striking diamond halo.

This is a complete shot in the dark, but thank you SO much for your willingness to do this. If you still have it, I would love to buy it. I lost my actual diamond engagement ring a couple days ago and today had 2 metal detectors (people and their devices, scouring my property). The rush has really amped up in my heartbreak. I haven't been on the site for over a month and my heart sank when I came back to check updates and saw you had posted this so long ago and I missed it.

If not, thank you again for doing this and I will check more diligently the thread.

DotDiddy

Rough_Rock
Not sure if this is the color you have in mind, but here's mine; bought from Gem Ocean, slightly orange leaning, medium saturation, delicate color. 2.29ct for USD2400, slightly included:

I chat with a lot of Chinese sellers, but idk if you want to deal with that kind of shipping. If you don't mind, I can let them know you're looking for a small pad as well.

It's very pretty. I do like it.
Oh man, as a Chinese (half) person I almost can't stand haggling with Chinese people for fruits on the streets of NY let alone buying a gem! They are just too good at the game for me. But I absolutely would for the right gem. That is a very pretty ring you've made!! And the color is nice on your skin. That was one of my original concerns.

yaygems

Rough_Rock

Hello, sorry to jump in but this is beautiful and basically the colour I am also looking for, but I'm looking for a stone that is close to 8x6mm (or larger) which generally ends up being around 2ct. Could I please get some advice on some good Sri Lankan sellers that have stones like this? I have been quoted about $2600ct for pads around 2ct, some ask me what my price range is and I'm not sure what to say in case they try to sell me overpriced stones.

yaygems

Rough_Rock

That seems so cheap! What a beautiful stone! What are the other sellers you talk to if you don't mind me asking? I keep finding stones over $2000ct but I don't know if that's overpriced.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results